ANDREA DOSSENA: Official Thread - All discussion here

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby bigmick » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:10 pm

Effes wrote:I'd like to know which "scout" nominated Dossena as a good buy - he was Nunez-esque at times.

It said it all Eff that once he came, Aurelio comfortably went past him. Then Insua, who you can only assume was not considered to be anywhere near ready or we wouldn't have bought Dossena in the first place, went past him as the second best left back. We never did find out the true pecking order, but my guess is that if it hadn't been necessary to give him an occasional run out in order to justify the 7 million pounds transfer fee, he would never have got near the first team.

Whether the blame lies at the door of the scout who initially recommended him, Rafa who actually signed him, or "fecking Rick Parry :angry:" I'm not sure, but his signing was a truly awful piece of business.

There were a couple of absolute howlers last Summer, but even worse than signing Keane and then discovering we didn't actually like him was signing Dossena and then discovering he was useless. He is the managers worst signing in his Liverpool stint IMHO.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:16 pm

There's no discussion that it has been a bad signing, we might disagree in the selection of words (garbage, bad signing, mistake, whatever) but not in the core of the question. I disagree he's as clueless as some fellow reds suggest, and I even think he can suit well another kind of top football (Italy, Spain), but definitely I agree he has been a mistake of Rafa.

Unlike Reina, Arbeloa, Riera, Alonso, Mascherano, Torres, who have all increased their values while in the club, Dossena was a clear mistake.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:19 pm

It been put on hold now because of wages, i wonder if could be because of reported interest from Spurs

Liverpool defender Andrea Dossena's proposed move to Napoli has been delayed due to the player's wage demands.

The Reds have accepted a £4million offer for the Italy international, who failed to make an impact in his debut campaign in England.

Napoli sporting director Pierpaolo Marino insists there will be further talks with the full-back, but his £2million-a-year salary at Anfield is a problem.

Marino said: "Dossena? We have taken a break in order to reflect on this. The move is therefore on hold.

"There are no immediate prospects. The president [Aurelio De Laurentiis] has spoken to [Rafa] Benitez, but there is some distance with the player."

Link
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:19 pm

I think Dossena is a misfit.

He’s a regular for the Italian national team and was highly rated when we bought him. I just think he prefers playing higher up the field and has struggled with the pace and tempo of the premiership.

He's not a bad player IMO.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:20 pm

Bigmick:

As the most expansive denfender until this summer it is hard no to agree. Just glad Rafa got rid quickly and we got some money back and got cover at lb already.

7_Kewell:

He might have decent skills but he is best suited further up the field with little defensive duties as his marking and positional sense is all over the map.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:59 am

DOSSENA ‘WANTS TO QUIT REDS’

Oct 28 2009 by Our Correspondent, Liverpool Echo

ANDREA DOSSENA would like to return to Italy, according to his agent.

The Liverpool left-back has recovered from a groin injury and could feature in tonight’s Carling Cup tie at Arsenal.

The 28-year-old was strongly linked with a move to Napoli this summer after just one season in the Premier League following his move from Udinese.

“It’s clear that the player would like to return to Italy,” Dossena’s agent Federico Pastorello said.

“He is playing very little at Liverpool and he doesn’t want to miss the train for the World Cup.

“I hope that, having recovered from the injury, he will play in the Carling Cup.

“Andrea must do the maximum to return to have a regular spot at Liverpool.”
Benny The Noon

Postby andy_g » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:07 am

ok, andrea - time to decide what you want more; high wages and no football, or lower wages, a move back to your country and regular games. i strongly recommend you go for the latter.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:57 am

Benny The Noon wrote:DOSSENA ‘WANTS TO QUIT REDS’

Oct 28 2009 by Our Correspondent, Liverpool Echo

ANDREA DOSSENA would like to return to Italy, according to his agent.

The Liverpool left-back has recovered from a groin injury and could feature in tonight’s Carling Cup tie at Arsenal.

The 28-year-old was strongly linked with a move to Napoli this summer after just one season in the Premier League following his move from Udinese.

“It’s clear that the player would like to return to Italy,” Dossena’s agent Federico Pastorello said.

“He is playing very little at Liverpool and he doesn’t want to miss the train for the World Cup.

“I hope that, having recovered from the injury, he will play in the Carling Cup.

“Andrea must do the maximum to return to have a regular spot at Liverpool.”

hardly surprising. he would have gone to napoli in the summer but he couldn't agree personal terms. it just hasn't worked out and i'll be happy if we can get about £4m or so back for him.

he'll always be remembered for 2 goals in a week though :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Reg » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:44 pm

Wrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time. Its a shame as I think we would make an impact in 75% of EPL sides but when his opportunity arose with Fabio getting injured Insua stood up to the plate and made the position his.

However he´s costing us money on a weekly basis so best to get rid.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby made in UK » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:21 pm

bigmick wrote:
Effes wrote:I'd like to know which "scout" nominated Dossena as a good buy - he was Nunez-esque at times.

It said it all Eff that once he came, Aurelio comfortably went past him. Then Insua, who you can only assume was not considered to be anywhere near ready or we wouldn't have bought Dossena in the first place, went past him as the second best left back. We never did find out the true pecking order, but my guess is that if it hadn't been necessary to give him an occasional run out in order to justify the 7 million pounds transfer fee, he would never have got near the first team.

Whether the blame lies at the door of the scout who initially recommended him, Rafa who actually signed him, or "fecking Rick Parry :angry:" I'm not sure, but his signing was a truly awful piece of business.

There were a couple of absolute howlers last Summer, but even worse than signing Keane and then discovering we didn't actually like him was signing Dossena and then discovering he was useless. He is the managers worst signing in his Liverpool stint IMHO.

The doc may even get the blame too for that signing.
"I'm a bellend and now I'm banned for life"
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:25 pm

On the outside before he was signed it looked promising - Very good season in serie A - current Italy number one left back .
Benny The Noon

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:56 pm

Dossena linked with Napoli switch - Liverpool full-back attracting interest back in Italy

Andrea Dossena's agent has admitted the Liverpool defender has attracted interest from Italian club Napoli.

The Reds defender has only made one substitute appearance in the Premier League so far this season and is finding it difficult to prove his worth to manager Rafa Benitez.

With Napoli looking to bolster their defence during the January transfer window, Dossena's agent Roberto La Florio thinks the left-back may want to move to ensure a place in the Italy squad for next year's World Cup.

"It is clear that in January Napoli will sign new players, especially in the role of Dossena," said La Florio.

"We'll see in January if there are opportunities to return to Italy and play - we are interested because Dossena wants to go to the World Cup.

"Napoli is the Italian team that has pushed most for Dossena and according to me it would be the perfect solution for him."

The 28-year-old became the first Italian player to play for Liverpool when he signed at Anfield for £7million in July last year.

Dossena is currently recovering from a muscle injury but may make the bench for the Reds' UEFA Champions League trip to Lyon on Wednesday.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:35 pm

Swap for Hamsik anyone :p. Otherwise please just keep up your interest and take him off our hands in january Napoli :).
JamCar05

Postby Owzat » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:08 pm

JamCar05 wrote:Swap for Hamsik anyone :p. Otherwise please just keep up your interest and take him off our hands in january Napoli :).

Is Quagliarella the forward the mancs were reportedly interested in? And we were supposed to be interested in Lavezzi
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:02 pm

Owzat wrote:
JamCar05 wrote:Swap for Hamsik anyone :p. Otherwise please just keep up your interest and take him off our hands in january Napoli :).

Is Quagliarella the forward the mancs were reportedly interested in? And we were supposed to be interested in Lavezzi

I don't know about the first part mate, but yeah we were supposedly interested in Lavezzi at some point. I just mentioned Hamsik because I think he is a very good player is all (I actually also think we might have been linked to him a while back as have other big clubs around europe lately). A bit out of our reach already (moneywise) I suspect though :down:.
JamCar05

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge