ANDREA DOSSENA: Official Thread - All discussion here

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby Greavesie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:19 pm

Sir Roger wrote:
Greavesie wrote:an out of form Riera will be better than Dossena in the same position, I've seen nothing of Dossena to suggest he can do a more capable job than Riera at LM

How can you make that assumption?
Based on what?
When was Dossena playing LM and how badly did he do?
He scored two in the last two from a forward left position
I say try him and if hes shi.t drop him
At least we'll know

what has Doss ever done down the left that Riera hasn't/can't?

for me Doss, can't cross or beat a man. He scored two goals fair enough, but for me his performances still aren't there. If he never scored these two goals I doubt many would want him on the pitch cos nobody would have noticed him

What game would you like to risk him playing LM then cricfy Rafa for team selection if it doesn't come off?

we're coming into a MASSIVE part of the season, for me, now is NOT the time to go p!ssing about experimenting with the team
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Sir Roger » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:27 pm

Greavesie wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:
Greavesie wrote:an out of form Riera will be better than Dossena in the same position, I've seen nothing of Dossena to suggest he can do a more capable job than Riera at LM

Based on what?
At least we'll know

for me Doss, can't cross or beat a man. He scored two goals fair enough, but for me his performances still aren't there. If he never scored these two goals I doubt many would want him on the pitch cos nobody would have noticed him

What game would you like to risk him playing LM then cricfy Rafa for team selection if it doesn't come off?

we're coming into a MASSIVE part of the season, for me, now is NOT the time to go p!ssing about experimenting with the team

I think you answered your first question in your second part
I have seen Dossena beating people and banging in some lovely balls from the left. Its his defensive positioning and play that lets him down for me.

Experimenting?!
Rafa experiments and p!sses about with the team constantly. Or havent you noticed?

I would play him in any of the league matches coming up to see if he can cut it. If he cant bring Riera on and move on.
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:32 pm

Greavesie wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:

Based on what?
At least we'll know

Good point, but he has scored in consecutive games and wasn't Ray Kennedy a striker before Paisley converted him into a brilliant LM. I am not saying Doss will make that sort of transition but Rafas obviously seen something in training.
I say keep him as an impact sub in that position.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:39 pm

Boocity wrote:
Greavesie wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:

Based on what?
At least we'll know

Good point, but he has scored in consecutive games and wasn't Ray Kennedy a striker before Paisley converted him into a brilliant LM. I am not saying Doss will make that sort of transition but Rafas obviously seen something in training.
I say keep him as an impact sub in that position.

Yes he was for Arsenal
Like you say maybe Rafas seen that he might be more effective LM? Just because he played LB in Italy doesnt mean he has to play it here.
According to the official site he was bought as a direct replacement for Riise: a LM player...
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:49 pm

What we must remember is at Udinese Dossena played as a left wing back mainly so he has had to adjust his game a lot
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:54 pm

Italian defender Andrea Dossena believes he has put his troubled first months at Liverpool FC behind him after he followed up his strike against Real Madrid CF with a goal in Saturday's 4-1 win at Manchester United FC.

Precious payback
The six-timed capped international came off the bench to make only his 13th Premier League appearance for the Reds at the weekend, registering in the last minute at Old Trafford to follow up his late strike in the 4-0 UEFA Champions League first knockout round win against Madrid last week, scored four minutes after coming on as an 84th-minute substitute. "It made me very happy, of course," Dossena said. "It has been a tough fight to get into this team but if you work hard every day and don't give up, even in bad times, you get these moments and makes it worthwhile."

Reds retreat
Dossena, 27, joined Liverpool from Serie A side Udinese Calcio last July as a direct replacement for the AS Roma-bound John Arne Riise and has had to adapt to a less attacking role than he was used to at the Stadio Friuli. "Compared to last season, I have changed my position - I have gone back 20 metres," he said. "This change and adapting to English football gave me some difficulties to start with, but with the help of a great coach like Rafael Benítez, I'm starting to understand how to play in the team. You adapt to step by step."

‘Never say never'
This is Dossena's first taste of football outside of Italy in a ten-year career and despite a lack of first-team opportunities at Liverpool, the Lodi-born player appears determined to see out his contract at Anfield, though he has not ruled out a return to Serie A in the future. "I have a three-year contract and I am happy here," he said. "Of course, I keep an eye on Italy - it's my homeland, so never say never. But as I said, I feel very good here after a difficult start. I will discuss it with Benítez and the club and then we will see."
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:02 pm

I think Riera is what he is. That's why he worth 8 million only. For someone think he can play like a David Silva would be over their head. I reckon he is a good squad player. He surprises me with his defence. He didn't do a whole lot in the Man U game but he did contain C Ronaldo along with help from Aurelio. To me, that shows he is a responsible player and not floating around.

As for Dossena, he is on a hot streak and rested. Easier for him to score when the opponents were tired. I like his positive attitude as the benching did him good. Just hope he continue but he is really a surplus. If we can get back the money spent on him, hope Rafa go buy a right back instead.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby Sir Roger » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:10 pm

GYBS wrote:Reds retreat
Dossena, 27, joined Liverpool from Serie A side Udinese Calcio last July as a direct replacement for the AS Roma-bound John Arne Riise and has had to adapt to a less attacking role than he was used to at the Stadio Friuli. "Compared to last season, I have changed my position - I have gone back 20 metres," he said. "This change and adapting to English football gave me some difficulties to start with, but with the help of a great coach like Rafael Benítez, I'm starting to understand how to play in the team. You adapt to step by step."

Thanks for that
There you have it
He was an attacking player but has been told to play deeper by Rafa
Put him in Left mid and see what happens
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:30 pm

you  make it sound as if those of us who would rather he was sound dislike him. I don't have a problem with him, I'd rather he did succeed at this club, but I don't think there's much of an argument that he looks anything close to a £7M player
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Reg » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:22 pm

In fairness I dont think Dossena has had sufficient playing time demonstrate his potential.

After he came on against Utd he looked handy, but that doesnt amount to much when you´re winning 3-1 with 10 minutes to play.

As with Lucas, he needs repeated run outs and to prove his case. Robbie Keane fell at this hurdle whereas Lucas 'may' be coming good.

Doss should face the same test. :blues:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:21 pm

Greavesie wrote:you  make it sound as if those of us who would rather he was sound dislike him. I don't have a problem with him, I'd rather he did succeed at this club, but I don't think there's much of an argument that he looks anything close to a £7M player

Im not making anyone sound like anything
I dont really care if people like him or they dont
I am saying put him in left midfield and see how he does
Not for the rest of the season
Or even for two games
Give him a try out and if hes shi.t get him off
Its been done before so whats the problem?
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby redmikey » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:26 pm

Sir Roger wrote:
Greavesie wrote:you  make it sound as if those of us who would rather he was sound dislike him. I don't have a problem with him, I'd rather he did succeed at this club, but I don't think there's much of an argument that he looks anything close to a £7M player

Or even for two games

i agree put him in left midfield!!! of juves team or roma or even inter or lazio ,ac milan

sell sell sell is my shout and buy a right winger   silva etc

fabio and insua should be enough for left back but thats just me, i would also have steve warnock back in a flash now he has got over his brittle bone effect he had at lfc
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Sir Roger » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:34 pm

redmikey wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:

Or even for two games

i agree put him in left midfield!!! of juves team or roma or even inter or lazio ,ac milan

sell sell sell is my shout and buy a right winger   silva etc

fabio and insua should be enough for left back but thats just me, i would also have steve warnock back in a flash now he has got over his brittle bone effect he had at lfc

I seriously dont know how anyone can dismiss him without actually seeing what hes like in left mid
It might be his best position?
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:40 pm

18 games odd will always be too early to dismiss anyone - gotta to give players a chance to settle to the prem . obviously some players settle straight away but a lot do take their time - esp when they are playing at the back with a totally different way of defending and also the position you take on the pitch being different than the one played at a previous club .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:02 pm

GYBS wrote:18 games odd will always be too early to dismiss anyone - gotta to give players a chance to settle to the prem . obviously some players settle straight away but a lot do take their time - esp when they are playing at the back with a totally different way of defending and also the position you take on the pitch being different than the one played at a previous club .

yes you are right some players do need more time to get up to speed with the prem but ( and there is always a but ) even when good players are bedding in or getting up to speed they show some of the skill and true form, taking away the 2 goals there hasn't been a lot of magic moments to look back apon

which does make it harder to think he will come good?? but i hope he does
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge