ANDREA DOSSENA: Official Thread - All discussion here

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby GYBS » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:43 am

Insua has only played a handful of games so we still need to see how he will continue to develop where as dossena is a fully fledged international for his country so at the moment i would say dossena is back up to Aurelio in the big games and Insua for the weaker opponents . Aurelio was another who was particulary no good when he first started as well and look how well he is playing at the moment .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:47 am

Play him upfront more. He's a far better finisher than Kuyt. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sir Roger » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:48 pm

stmichael wrote:Play him upfront more. He's a far better finisher than Kuyt. :D

The voice of reason
:D
Those of you against the idea seem to forget that Rafas philosophy is based on shifting players round in different formations
It might be like a new signing...?
???
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Bam » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:30 pm

I have been pondering the thought of playing Dossena in Rierias p[osition for the remainder of the campaign. Rafa has brought him on in that position twice now and its paid small divedends. The Italian is still a worry for LB, as he does tend to switch off his defensive game. Considering Rieria is yo-yo-ing his performances through the season (I actual thought he was pretty woeful on Saturday) a bit of competiton for his place from the Italian will be healthy. The Doss does like to get forward and tries like Rieria to round his man and does pose a good left foot, when not hitting row z :D .

Yep, I reckon based on the two super-sub performances from RAGU man, he's worth a shot in the short-term at Left mid. He will be released of his defensive duties which obviously hamper him, and can charge up and down the wing for the rest of the season, his confidence must be high. Rieria doesnt look all that at the mo, and on form I'd defenitaly be thinking about the switch. Maybe Riera can make the impact from the bench, because he cannot be handed a starting eleven place, playing like that.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Zidane » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:41 pm

I think he's better utilized as a sub, with defenders low on energy and stamina.  Dossena always runs a lot and late in games players like that pay dividends, ala Babel(sometimes).  I think his flaws would show throughout a game unless he really has improved his position for the english game.  Right now, for me at least, he's a better sub at LM than he is a player in the starting eleven at any position.
Zidane

Postby Bam » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:53 pm

Zidane wrote:I think he's better utilized as a sub, with defenders low on energy and stamina.  Dossena always runs a lot and late in games players like that pay dividends, ala Babel(sometimes).  I think his flaws would show throughout a game unless he really has improved his position for the english game.  Right now, for me at least, he's a better sub at LM than he is a player in the starting eleven at any position.

yeah you are probably right there mate, but on current form Rieria is not firing. Actually bring Yossi back in then for the Spainard he was in great form and then disapeared, Rafa is a great magician at making players disapear.

Nah, seriously though somebody like Yossi or Dossena has to come in IMO next week for Rieria.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:57 pm

Granted he didn't play well against United, but wasn't he playing reasonably well the inmediate games before? with assists and everything? I thought that the bench dosis he had, had a positive effect on him.

Personally, I wouldn't give up on a good player because he had a bad patch. I heard that he was very tired when Rafa talked with Del Bosque about our internationals.

This season, as a whole, we've seen Riera and Babel on the left. Out of these two, Riera has been the better. So, it seems to me that if Dossena is to be tried in the position, the natural option is that he wins the place to the second best player in the position, not the first.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zidane » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:57 pm

Bam wrote:
Zidane wrote:I think he's better utilized as a sub, with defenders low on energy and stamina.  Dossena always runs a lot and late in games players like that pay dividends, ala Babel(sometimes).  I think his flaws would show throughout a game unless he really has improved his position for the english game.  Right now, for me at least, he's a better sub at LM than he is a player in the starting eleven at any position.

yeah you are probably right there mate, but on current form Rieria is not firing. Actually bring Yossi back in then for the Spainard he was in great form and then disapeared, Rafa is a great magician at making players disapear.

Nah, seriously though somebody like Yossi or Dossena has to come in IMO next week for Rieria.

Yeah Riera looked like he was on the right track to get back to his old form against Real Madrid but from what everyone says he played like sht against Man U.  I can't comment cause most of the game my stream kept skipping so maybe he does need time on the bench.
Zidane

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:05 pm

Anyone else heard the rumour about him allegedly being arrested in a notorious dogging hotspot in south liverpool in the early hours?

If true that'll be the first time he's got his tackle in this season  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Bam » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:13 pm

Sabre wrote:Granted he didn't play well against United, but wasn't he playing reasonably well the inmediate games before? with assists and everything? I thought that the bench dosis he had, had a positive effect on him.

Personally, I wouldn't give up on a good player because he had a bad patch. I heard that he was very tired when Rafa talked with Del Bosque about our internationals.

This season, as a whole, we've seen Riera and Babel on the left. Out of these two, Riera has been the better. So, it seems to me that if Dossena is to be tried in the position, the natural option is that he wins the place to the second best player in the position, not the first.

I honestly cannot remember his form before the Madrid home game. Whether thats a good thing or bad thing I dont know.

But this is where we differ see, you wouldnt drop a player going through a dip in form. Where as I would. Psychologically it will have an assured effect on the players mind, in comparisson to 'rotating' or 'dropping' a player who is in form.

I also believe in the main, that this is the reason for squad players. If a player is injured or if a team player has lost a bit of form. Yossi, Babel or Dossena come in to give Riera healthy competition. A player cannot afford the luxury to become complacement in a side. I doubt Riera has in all honesty, but if you say his fitness is not peak. Thus hindering his performances he needs to be rested, dropped, rotated or whatever you want to call it.

It was evident on Saturday he was struggling, the opposition he was playing may of had something to do with it. Playing against qulaity players in tight areas. But still if a player is out of form IMO rule of thumb says he needs to be benched.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:21 pm

That's where we disagree, yes.

Fair enough :)
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:28 pm

If we are discussing reira - he is a decent steady player but still think we could do much better . He has provided a bit of balance and bit of width to the team which is great but would still prefer someone techincally better and with more pace.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:31 pm

GYBS wrote:If we are discussing reira - he is a decent steady player but still think we could do much better . He has provided a bit of balance and bit of width to the team which is great but would still prefer someone techincally better and with more pace.

Sometimes it's difficult not to mix discussions. Granted Riera has to improve, I expect a better second season than the first.

Would you try Dossena in left mid though, GYBS? IMHO Riera should still be the first main option.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:37 pm

Not sure TBH - think he would be worth a try there as pretty much agree with what Bam has said and Reira has been below par second half of the season and maybe resting to see how dossena does there may well work as dossena not afraid to get forward . Cant see it being too much of a risk .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:18 pm

GYBS wrote:Not sure TBH - think he would be worth a try there as pretty much agree with what Bam has said and Reira has been below par second half of the season and maybe resting to see how dossena does there may well work as dossena not afraid to get forward . Cant see it being too much of a risk .

Hurrah!
At last some sense
:;):
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge