ANDREA DOSSENA: Official Thread - All discussion here

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby GYBS » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:20 pm

Mick can you remember Evras debut and then the months after that until the end of the season after they bought him ? One word - AWFUL.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:24 pm

GYBS wrote:Mick can you remember Evras debut and then the months after that until the end of the season after they bought him ? One word - AWFUL.

One word, YES!  :D But, and it's quite a big but, he was an International footballer of some renown by that stage, a regualr in the French team and had been strutting his stuff in Europe for some time.

I actually thought he was a waste of money as well soon after they'd signed him (I seem to recall thinking Vidic was sh!t as well  :D ) but anyway, I do think the situation ois different to Dossena. In Evra's case it was a question of adaptability, whereas in Dossena's, yoiu can take off the "adapt" bit.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:27 pm

He wasnt thou mick - he was a decent footballer at Monace who had been earmarked for success but he wasnt french first choice in anyway shape or form - Silvestre and Sagnol plus one mroe were all ahead of him becuase for a number f years he just dissappeared before he went to the mancs . And dossena has had around 15 games so far is it ? is that enough time to adapt to the prem and when you consider around jan feb time he was actually starting to look pretty decent for us .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:37 pm

GYBS wrote:He wasnt thou mick - he was a decent footballer at Monace who had been earmarked for success but he wasnt french first choice in anyway shape or form - Silvestre and Sagnol plus one mroe were all ahead of him becuase for a number f years he just dissappeared before he went to the mancs . And dossena has had around 15 games so far is it ? is that enough time to adapt to the prem and when you consider around jan feb time he was actually starting to look pretty decent for us .

Put him left mid see how he does
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:40 pm

As I say though mate, I don't think he's good enough by quite a margin. We can debate it till the cows come home and without any video or long, boringly technical explanations I couldn't really point out what i think is wrong with him on here. Suffice to say I think he's a mile away, and nothing you could tell me about "adaptation" will convince me otherwise.

Now you clearly think he's got a chance, which is great. Like I say, I was wrong about both Evra and Vidic (I'm not certain on Vidic but I'm sure I slagged him somewhere) so I may well be wrong here as well. We'll see.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:43 pm

i guess we will just have to wait and see and hopefully he will be given a bit more time to see if he can do a good job for us .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:46 pm

bigmick wrote:As I say though mate, I don't think he's good enough by quite a margin. We can debate it till the cows come home and without any video or long, boringly technical explanations I couldn't really point out what i think is wrong with him on here. Suffice to say I think he's a mile away, and nothing you could tell me about "adaptation" will convince me otherwise.

Now you clearly think he's got a chance, which is great. Like I say, I was wrong about both Evra and Vidic (I'm not certain on Vidic but I'm sure I slagged him somewhere) so I may well be wrong here as well. We'll see.

You never know till you try
Rafa has played quite a few players out of position, or in positions theyre not familiar with or used to
I think its worth a go to see if he can cut it?
He knows how to put them away under pressure...
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby europian-kings » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:07 am

If you asked me about Dossena a couple of weeks ago i would have said i reckon we should try get rid of him asap....but now, after his 2 goals...(ok they wernt important goals because the games were already won) but i just would like to see where he goes from here....

Im hoping it will give him a bit of a confidence boost in some way.
europian-kings
LFC Super Member

Postby Sir Roger » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:11 am

europian-kings wrote:If you asked me about Dossena a couple of weeks ago i would have said i reckon we should try get rid of him asap....but now, after his 2 goals...(ok they wernt important goals because the games were already won) but i just would like to see where he goes from here....

Im hoping it will give him a bit of a confidence boost in some way.

Totally agree
I thought he was woeful
But hes came on twice and scored against two of the best clubs in europe (?)
Both from a forward position
Rierras out of form
I say try Dossena at LM and see what happens
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:54 am

an out of form Riera will be better than Dossena in the same position, I've seen nothing of Dossena to suggest he can do a more capable job than Riera at LM
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Sir Roger » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:01 am

Greavesie wrote:an out of form Riera will be better than Dossena in the same position, I've seen nothing of Dossena to suggest he can do a more capable job than Riera at LM

How can you make that assumption?
Based on what?
When was Dossena playing LM and how badly did he do?
He scored two in the last two from a forward left position
I say try him and if hes shi.t drop him
At least we'll know
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby loopyliverpool » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:23 am

Sir Roger wrote:
Greavesie wrote:an out of form Riera will be better than Dossena in the same position, I've seen nothing of Dossena to suggest he can do a more capable job than Riera at LM

How can you make that assumption?
Based on what?
When was Dossena playing LM and how badly did he do?
He scored two in the last two from a forward left position
I say try him and if hes shi.t drop him
At least we'll know

Based on the fact he has control problems, ball direction problems and dare I say weight problems!
loopyliverpool

Postby GYBS » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:28 am

I dare say that one thing he has sorted out is his fitness and weight problems going by what we have seen since jan plus his control problems and ball direction problems dont seem to be that bad lately - how come we arent willing to give people a chance to get settled as opposed to wanting them dumped within 6 months . Other players people have wanted to give a chance despite them playing more than what dossena has in the past .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby loopyliverpool » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:36 am

If he can continue to come on and score goals in the last throes of games we've comfortably won we may have a new 'supersub' on our hands! Fair play to the fella. I still don't think he's up to the mark though and that is just an honest personal opinion.
loopyliverpool

Postby bigmick » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:37 am

I've got nothing against the "give him time" arguement particularly, but where is he going to play? He's the third best left back at the club, and I don't buy into this 'left midfield" idea at all. When are we going to learn that converting players isn't the answer? You want a left midfielder playing left midfield, simple as that.

So we have two options, have him as a bit part player, or flog him while we can still get money for him. IT's not even like the last time we did that as this time we've actually got cover. It's a no brainer for me, he isn't good enough and never will be IMHO, move him on.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge