Man city v the redmen - OFFICIAL THREAD

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:24 am

Didn't see it live. Caught all I needed to see on MOTD last nite, and promptly fell asleep....another dreadful performance.....at least we didn't lose, thanks be to phuck..
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Reg » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:38 am

Fauxy wrote:
Reg wrote:Fact of the matter is theres no way in a month of sundays we have a squad to threaten Man Ure or Chelsea and win the league, we are average at best.

What???

Average  :laugh:

We are a 4th-5th placed team who last year had a good year coming second.

We're NOT a second placed team who are currently having a bad few games.

Face it, we're no better than Tottenham or City, Arsenal are better, and Ure and Chelsea are 30% better.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:14 pm

Reg wrote:
Fauxy wrote:
Reg wrote:Fact of the matter is theres no way in a month of sundays we have a squad to threaten Man Ure or Chelsea and win the league, we are average at best.

What???

We are a 4th-5th placed team who last year had a good year coming second.

We're NOT a second placed team who are currently having a bad few games.

Face it, we're no better than Tottenham or City, Arsenal are better, and Ure and Chelsea are 30% better.

Have to agree with that.  This is no bad run or some blip.  Our performances never seem to get any better.  Even when we win its not down to very good performances.  So many goals are scrappy and hardly any are down to actual good football.

The only reason we are still in the race for 4th is because the other teams have done there best to throw it away. 

The idea that we should settle for ugly football for the sake of finishing 4th (which is no achievement) is disgraceful to me.  Why should we accept mediocrity?

Man City were there to be beaten yesterday and not once did we try and win the game. Yet somehow getting a point out of a game we never tried to win is some sort of positive.  I cant accept that.
puroresu

Postby heimdall » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:16 pm

TheLad wrote:Good to see Nando and Yossi back.

Yes, I just hope they get match fit very very quickly because we sure as hell need some creativity back in the side.
heimdall

Postby heimdall » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:23 pm

Fauxy wrote:

What???

Yeah we are blindingly good aren't we, what was it, one shot on target all match, ooohhh, wow I was so excited.   :)

What I find the most depressing is how low most LFC fans expectations have sunk under Rafa, that we actually accept and see "positives" in this garbage football that we are currently playing. It is a complete disgrace that Rafa earns £10, let alone £4 million a year for devising, organising and executing that pitiful, drab, :censored: display of football.  :no

The sooner Rafa gets kicked out of Anfield together with all his sicofantic compadres the better, I can't wait.
heimdall

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:37 pm

Another very poor game with little evidence that we are improving.

If we are using 2 defensive midfielders which is what we have done ever since Rafa arrived then we have to get the full backs attacking.  We just dont so this.

If we are ever going to win the league our style of play has to change.

Our current style is boring, unattractive and overly defensive.  Everton looked better than us against Man U for god sake!  If we are happy to aim for 4th position with the odd season where we do a little better, then lets all get behind Rafa Benitez. 

If we want to become a team that does not pick and choose which games we are going to actually try and win and play in a style that at least gives us a chance of winning, lets get rid and start another 5 year plan! :(

Very depressed this morning, we are an average team, with average targets.. ie 4th place is good enough!!!
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Scottbot » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:38 pm

heimdall wrote:
Fauxy wrote:

What???

Yeah we are blindingly good aren't we, what was it, one shot on target all match, ooohhh, wow I was so excited.   :)

What I find the most depressing is how low most LFC fans expectations have sunk under Rafa, that we actually accept and see "positives" in this garbage football that we are currently playing. It is a complete disgrace that Rafa earns £10, let alone £4 million a year for devising, organising and executing that pitiful, drab, :censored: display of football.  :no

The sooner Rafa gets kicked out of Anfield together with all his sicofantic compadres the better, I can't wait.

Got a feeling the gist of the post was humerous, eg. to say we're not even 'average at best'.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:40 pm

Scottbot wrote:
heimdall wrote:
Fauxy wrote:

What???

Got a feeling the gist of the post was humerous, eg. to say we're not even 'average at best'.

I thought  :)  was the forum sarcasm smiley
heimdall

Postby Scottbot » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:42 pm

heimdall wrote:
Scottbot wrote:
heimdall wrote:
Fauxy wrote:

What???

I thought  :)  was the forum sarcasm smiley

I've got no idea mate, i'm guessing he doesn't either!
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:46 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:Another very poor game with little evidence that we are improving.

If we are using 2 defensive midfielders which is what we have done ever since Rafa arrived then we have to get the full backs attacking.  We just dont so this.

If we are ever going to win the league our style of play has to change.

Our current style is boring, unattractive and overly defensive.  Everton looked better than us against Man U for god sake!  If we are happy to aim for 4th position with the odd season where we do a little better, then lets all get behind Rafa Benitez. 

If we want to become a team that does not pick and choose which games we are going to actually try and win and play in a style that at least gives us a chance of winning, lets get rid and start another 5 year plan! :(

Very depressed this morning, we are an average team, with average targets.. ie 4th place is good enough!!!

The problem with 4th being a CL spot is somehow its now an achievement if we finish 4th and people are ready to accept such rubbish if it means we finish 4th.  I hate the way we play and wouldnt be happy winning a title playing like this.
puroresu

Postby bigmick » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:55 pm

You could argue that if we do manage to grab fourth, our problems really do start. If we don't, even the most ardent fan of the manager would surely accept that failure to get past Lyon and Fiorentina in the Champions League, defeat at home by Reading in the FA Cup, outside the top four in the league as well as an early exit in the Carling Cup is a bad enough season to warrant changing the manager. I say that fully aware that some are so desperate to proven right that they would see us relegated before finally accepting what they know in their heart of hearts, but accepting of it or not publically they'd know it just as they surely know it already.

On the other hand, if we do get fourth then we'll probably have to endure yet another season with not hope in our hearts but despair. It may well be that winning the league is impossible given our finances, but we must surely be able to muster up a team which can play with sufficient verve to see off the likes of Reading, and can go to the likes of wolves expecting to win. Sometimes you have to endure a little pain in order to move forwards. Under our present circumstances, we may be in such a boat.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:28 pm

Hi Mick, welcome back.

Purely from a COMMERCIAL point of view we face a massive dilemma.  Rafa inherited Carra, Gerrard and Sami who have been the mainstay of Rafa´s rebuild tenure. Alonso was a solid building block and it was a disaster to lose him as neither Masher (who has been another solid buy) nor Lucas have the attacking instinct or creativity to replace him. Reira, Babel, Ngog should be playing for Stoke and Kuytie whilst a great servant of the club is Villa standard. Aqualani looks no better than any other english midfielder, Adam Johnson looks a lot more industrious in comparison. You could go on and on and it looks like Rafa has fired his bullet and built a 4th place team.

What is the solution, spend another 100 million on 4 or 5  20/25 million players and go for broker (hello Leeds, Pompey...) or unravel what Rafa has put together and bring in a new guy which would costs twice what plan A would cost?

Carra is nearly finished and Stevie has 3 more top years and Rafa looks no closer to winning the league today than the day he arrived.

In the cold light of day we face another 3-4 years in the wilderness.

Its a tough one, but strong medicine is never nice.
Last edited by Reg on Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:54 pm

Thanks for the welcome back Reg. The fact is that the answer to our problem may well be impossible, in that winning the league is out of our reach. That said, we might as well go for it by changing the manager, at least we could go about it with verve and renewed hope, whereas if we stay with him we are sticking with a fatally busted flush. The time for a change has long since been and gone, failure to make that change in the Summer would be criminally negligent.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:22 pm

We should be at the stage now of only needing minor tweeks to keep this team on the boil - which is affordable. An overhaul as you suggest would be prohibitively expensive and would no doubt jeopodise the new stadium plans.....

It hurts like héll to admit it but I think Rafa has to go and we have to go the complete restructure route - which is a commercial disaster for the club.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:54 pm

Reg wrote:We should be at the stage now of only needing minor tweeks to keep this team on the boil - which is affordable. An overhaul as you suggest would be prohibitively expensive and would no doubt jeopodise the new stadium plans.....

It hurts like héll to admit it but I think Rafa has to go and we have to go the complete restructure route - which is a commercial disaster for the club.

I don't agree, well of course I agree about Rafa going  :D but I don't agree about the major overhaul. I actually thinking we have a good bunch of individual players, some of them absolutely first class, like Reina, Stevie, Johnson and of course Torres. I also think we have some good youngsters knocking on the door. What we don't have is a good team or correct tactics. Sure we are missing some players to complete the jigsaw but what we need most is a manager to get the existing players fired up and a manager who can get the best out of them. We really aren't that far away but it's important we get the right manager in the summer as we won't have Stevie for too many more years.
heimdall

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games