LIVERPOOL vs UNIREA - 2nd leg 25th february 18.00 ko

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:41 pm

s@int wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:watching it back for the 2nd time, it didn't seem that bad to me. Gerrard could have had three. Reira and Aurelio had decent chances, Kuyt had a chance, N'gog had another good chance other the the goal and a couple of half chances, Skrtel had easy header he put over. We certainly could and should have played better but it was far from one chance, one goal. Like Rafa said after the game, if Gerrard scored that chance in the first 30 seconds it could have been a totally different game.

Plus its all about getting through, I guess I didn't get the memo that cup competitions in the knockout phases were about form.  We have a lead, and didn't allow an away goal.  Just one away goal for us will mean they will need 3 to get through, and that isn't happening.

Kinnell Joe 10 out of 10 for courage above and beyond the call of duty for watching that TWICE mate  :D

well the 2nd time was a 40 minute highlight package, so it cut out a lot of the boring stuff   :D   but still its not like it threw in footage of chances that didn't happen.

yea this team had a long break. They were able to prepare for months just to face Liverpool.  This is a team that did pretty well in the group stages, they were one of the better 3rd place sides.
JoeTerp

Postby Ben Patrick » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:41 pm

Penetration and fluency are the key things here.

The people that are saying the players played like they werent interested or a pub team were watching a different game to me.
They were trying their best for me but just seem to lack any ideas on how to create space and creativity.
Aquilani was poor, he should be ideal for that game, and to be honest Riera struggled.
It wasnt until Babel came on that we looked like we had any penetration or threat.
Pacheco needs to play more as well, he might not be totally ready but with Yossi out he appears one of the only players that has that killer ball in him and imagination in the final third.
It was dire to watch but i really think it wasnt due to effort.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby parchpea » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:16 pm

Unirea where not only content to sit back but didnt have the legs or ability to cross the half way line in numbers.Despite the fact they would not have scored in a million years we still kept on with one man up top, the hapless Ngog, and played it side to side all night long slipping the masses into a coma in the process.Shock horror he chucks on the lively Pacheo to play two up front, yes that 2 up front, and we score a goal and yes even Ngog can score whilst standing on the opponents goal line. Their keeper wasnt that busy after the first minute and thats pretty shoddy considering the gulf in class and resources between the two sides.Life under Benitez continues to thrill, and just when you think you have hit rock bottom he manages to send out another Liverpool team that digs us further down into the abyss. Roll on the scond leg in Romania  :sleep
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Fauxy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:25 pm

parchpea wrote:Unirea where not only content to sit back but didnt have the legs or ability to cross the half way line in numbers.Despite the fact they would not have scored in a million years we still kept on with one man up top, the hapless Ngog, and played it side to side all night long slipping the masses into a coma in the process.Shock horror he chucks on the lively Pacheo to play two up front, yes that 2 up front, and we score a goal and yes even Ngog can score whilst standing on the opponents goal line. Their keeper wasnt that busy after the first minute and thats pretty shoddy considering the gulf in class and resources between the two sides.Life under Benitez continues to thrill, and just when you think you have hit rock bottom he manages to send out another Liverpool team that digs us further down into the abyss. Roll on the scond leg in Romania  :sleep

Acttttualy Pacheco was playing in Gerrard's position not up front  :;):
Fauxy

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:16 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:I think you have to admit they where very organised and defended really well, in many ways they reminded me of us in Europe, defend well and try and nick a goal then get them at our ground. Bloody hell, we won our last European cup with those tactics.

I agree with that. They were as compact and well organised as almost any team that has come to Anfield this season. People have to realise that against those tactics it really isn't easy to create - and we aren't the only 'big' side to have come a cropper in these circumstances. Just because they're from Romania doesn't mean we had a right to pummel them 5-0. Any team with decent players can organise themselves well and be tough to break down; that's why cup upsets happen every single season.

I agree we ought to have used the wide areas better because trying to fire it into feet in and around the 18yd box is almost always going to be fruitless when your striker is completely surrounded like Ngog was. We've even seen Torres struggle in those circumstances. We needed to see more link up play between the FBs and wingers, and Aquilani and the wingers. It needed to be quicker and not necessarily in terms of the pace on the ball but also the timing of the pass and the movement and composure to match. Quick passing isn't always better passing, it can often lead to moves breaking down.
LFC2007

Postby Reg » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:54 pm

So now we feel comfortable blaming the Pikeys for being well organised?

Ngog is not the world class striker we need to put us 3 nil up by half time so we can make 3 subsitutions to rest players for the Citeh game.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:57 pm

They're the most organised pikeys I've ever seen.
LFC2007

Postby Madmax » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:30 pm

shawnk wrote:
Reg wrote:Rafa did mate, but I dont understand why talented players have to reduce themselves to pub team standarde of penetration and finish just because the come to Anfield!

They´re good players, Rafa bought good players... but last night´s complete lack of ruthlessness in front of goal... you want to blame the manager for that?

Rooney or Drogba would have slotted 5 last night.

I believe it has to do with the players following the instruction/tactics (e.g. hoof or pass) given by the manager.

I'm not a Man Utd supporter but I dare to say that if Rafa is given the same sets of ManUtd players, ManUtd would not be where they are now. Far from it in fact. Just my opinion.

United would probably be 4th or 5th..
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:11 pm

Prove it. :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:34 pm

Just because a team comes to defend that is no excuse.  The big sides have to deal with organised sides all the time the difference should be that the bigger sides have the extra quality in there sides.  It's no suprise that many a team come to Anfield and just say 'break us down' as we are so damn predictable. The ball is passed slowly, the off the ball movement is non existant and its not v difficult to defend against. 

If Aqualani cant play where Gerrard plays then why was he signed?  Rafa wants to find a new position for him?  Screams panic buy to me all cos Alonso went.
puroresu

Postby made in UK » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:07 pm

So now we feel comfortable blaming the Pikeys for being well organised?

Apparently  :glare:

LFC fans have been "dumbed down" defo.
"I'm a bellend and now I'm banned for life"
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:23 pm

heimdall wrote:They are decent enough players but they are so obviously unmotivated and that is 100% down to the manager.

Absolute rubbish Heimy, the motivation speech gets trotted out on here every now and then but you CAN'T back it up. There was no lack of effort in the performance last night, and if there was please point out how you spotted it? Lack of talent, lack of creativity and a lack of ideas but what has any of that got to do with effort? it's a lame one that gets bandied at the players.
Last edited by woof woof ! on Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:26 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:Penetration and fluency are the key things here.

The people that are saying the players played like they werent interested or a pub team were watching a different game to me.
They were trying their best for me but just seem to lack any ideas on how to create space and creativity.

Bang on post.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:56 am

Scottbot wrote:
Ben Patrick wrote:Penetration and fluency are the key things here.

Bang on post.

I agree Ben ......spot on mate.
account deleted by request

Postby Dalglish » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:13 am

I've been struggling to put into words what it is about Liverpool this season and last night whilst watching the game it suddenly struck me ............ We don't excite anymore ! ???

Last season we were part of probably the best 2 games played by any team in England. The 4-4 draw against Arsenal effectively ended our title challenge but what an absolutely fabulous game to watch.

The other game I'm referring to ( 4-4 In the CL against Chavski) was another simply incredible and exciting game. We knew we were chasing the game but gave it a go.

Against Man Spew at OT .................4-1 !

The 2-2 home draw against Hull.......... First half was frantic.

3-2 home win over Wigan after being 1-0 and 2-1 behind. Rafa sending on 2 forwards for 2 wing backs FFS !

0-2 against Man City only to win 3-2 with a last gasp goal from Kuyt and a brace from Torres.

1-0 behind agaionst Boro with minutes left and going on to win 2-1.

This season, with the exception of Villa away when can you think of a genuine exciting moment ? Torres perhaps against the Mancs at home ?

What we have at the moment are players methodical and predictable and teams find that easier to defend against.

I'll be there Sunday again against Man City and I suppose after such a disappointing and frustrating season what I'll settle for in the end is to regain some of that genuine excitement I used to feel when watching the Reds

Walk on ..............
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games