LIVERPOOL vs UNIREA - 2nd leg 25th february 18.00 ko

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby made in UK » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:24 am

Reg wrote:Compare that ineffective performance tonight with Ure's performance against Milan.... worlds apart.

We are sh!t, because we play sh!t.

We always play down to our opponents level, we cant even overwhelm some village team from Pikeyland Romania.

Its pathetic, it really is.

You moan about the Rafa "bashers"

yet you make posts like this  :upside:

who trains them, who picks them, who enforces the tactics we play?
"I'm a bellend and now I'm banned for life"
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:04 am

s@int wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:Dire game of football, thats it nothing more, im thinking though about booking for Lille i have not been there before .
Best thing about tonight was the new banner on display made from the Irish KOP lads absolutly brilliant,

If you are going to have Rafa on a banner with our great managers I think Houllier should be on there as well.

I saw that banner and felt it was a bit of an insult on the truly great managers of our past to have Rafa on there. Like you say, if Rafa is on there then so too should Houllier be. While Rafa won the bigger European competition, the two have comparable records :

League Titles : Houllier 0-0 Rafa
Runners-Up : Houllier 1-1 Rafa
League Cups : Houllier 2-0 Rafa
FA Cups : Houllier 1-1 Rafa
European Trophies* : Houllier 2-2 Rafa
Charity Shield : Houllier 1-1 Rafa

*European Cup, UEFA Cup and UEFA Super Cup

I'll tell you what that reminds me of, the time that fan ran onto the pitch and joined the manc team photoshoot. Was it the Champions League final? As I recall he was quite well known for that kind of thing, buggered if I can remember his name or which final (if it was a CL final)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:18 am

s@int wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Anyway don't know why I am moaning. We won so ill leave it at that.  :D

If you can't say anything good it's sometimes better to say nothing  :D

If we all applied that then posts would be pretty scarce!

It was an ok performance against a team we should have stuffed. We didn't know how to break them down, nothing new there, and substitutions were again pretty routine, unimaginative and I think Rafa would have settled for 1-0 before the game. The team we put out should have been looking to finish the game off 1st leg, instead we've given most of our starting XI for Sunday 90 minutes football that could have been spared them. I have to question again whether playing Mascherano was necessary, the subs were a little earlier than usual by a few minutes, but Babel for Riera (again), Patch for Aquilani and then Lucas for N'Gog late on were lacking any great positivity of invention. Could we not take off Mascherano/Aquilani and gone 4-4-2?!?! Anything but the same old tired routines

We should finish this off in Romania but I don't expect Urine-A to be quite so 'there for the taking' and while some may write off them scoring more than one goal, or scoring three, when did we last score more than one in a cup competition!?!? (Chelsea 4-4 Liverpool in April) Not this season that is for sure, cup game ELEVEN of this season and still yet to score two

League Cup :

Leeds 0-1 Liverpool
Arsenal 2-1 Liverpool

FA Cup :

Reading 1-1 Liverpool
Liverpool 1-2 Reading

Champions League :

Liverpool 1-0 Debrecen
Debrecen 0-1 Liverpool
Liverpool 1-2 Lyon
Lyon 1-1 Liverpool
Liverpool 1-2 Fiorentina
Fiorentina 2-0 Liverpool

UEFA Cup :

Liverpool 1-0 Unirea Urziceni

09/10 P11 W4 D2 L5 F10 A10

Normally when a team is struggling in a game or season they try anything (different), we lack that. I have to wonder if the players don't just concede possession, free-kicks, corners, goals and commit dirty bookable fouls in practice because they certainly seem better at that than anything else!
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby danjohnson1985d » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:25 am

couldnt watch the match but watched the highlights. disappointing winning only 1-0. i think this season we have played very badly. any result other than winning the uefa cup would mean that rafa would get sacked... i think he should be too.
danjohnson1985d

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:08 am

Knew Rafa would field a strong side, shows how desperate he is to win something.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:20 am

We're definitely lacking creativity and the much vaunted Aquilani is still to show why we paid so much for him. OK the Romanians put 10 men behind the ball at every opportunity but our inability to exhibit some class against a side with limited ambition was very worrying.

Some have suggested we should have gone with a straight 4-4-2 formation, I'd go further and suggest that after half an hour given romanian tactics we could comfortably have gone with 3-4-3.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:35 am

Babel played well , hopefully he can carry on and with the right attitude he might still have a future here
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:09 am

woof woof ! wrote:Some have suggested we should have gone with a straight 4-4-2 formation, I'd go further and suggest that after half an hour given romanian tactics we could comfortably have gone with 3-4-3.

Agree on that mate, you could see from 15 mins in that they had no intention of coming out, even when they had the ball and the opportunity to break. I didn't understand Rafa's reluctance to get more forward players on the pitch. My observations were:

- The crowd were bored shi....t...l...ess after a bright opening 10 mins.
- We struggle big time against sides that sit back and are organised. Credit to them, they were set up perfectly.
- Aquilani isn't really getting any better is he?
- Gerrard didn't have a bad game as someone said in this thread, he just isn't cut out to play off the frontman when the frontman isn't TORRES.
- Carra at RB against this lot made no sense.
- Great to see Pachecho get some minutes and the assist will do him good
- We should have got something from all those corners
- Masch's workrate was amazing again
- Babel was by far the best player on the park in just 30 mins of action. HE DESERVES TO START OUR NEXT GAME - IF YOU PLAY LIKE THAT YOU SHOULD GET A SHOT, but he won't. Back to Maxi on the left against City :(
Last edited by Scottbot on Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:09 am

woof woof ! wrote:We're definitely lacking creativity and the much vaunted Aquilani is still to show why we paid so much for him. OK the Romanians put 10 men behind the ball at every opportunity but our inability to exhibit some class against a side with limited ambition was very worrying.

Some have suggested we should have gone with a straight 4-4-2 formation, I'd go further and suggest that after half an hour given romanian tactics we could comfortably have gone with 3-4-3.

No surely you stick with one rubbish striker up front against a team who park the bus. You have to be tactical genius, like Rafa, to understand that though.

It just gets worse and worse doesn't it, that was our fecking A-team out on the pitch last night and at times the Romanian team, which has just come out of a winter break, outclassed us.  :no
heimdall

Postby Scottbot » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:30 am

heimdall wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:We're definitely lacking creativity and the much vaunted Aquilani is still to show why we paid so much for him. OK the Romanians put 10 men behind the ball at every opportunity but our inability to exhibit some class against a side with limited ambition was very worrying.

No surely you stick with one rubbish striker up front against a team who park the bus. You have to be tactical genius, like Rafa, to understand that though.

It just gets worse and worse doesn't it, that was our fecking A-team out on the pitch last night and at times the Romanian team, which has just come out of a winter break, outclassed us.  :no

It isn't quite as straight forward as that, it's not all about the formation. Kuyt and Riera (and then Babel) played high and wide for the entire game so in many ways we were playing with 3 forwards. And if you look at the full-backs, Carra and Aurelio spent much of the game in the RM/LM positions. Everyone gets too tied up in the formation, we just don't have the players, the speed of thought and a the playing style to beat these teams comfortably. Our problems run far deeper than simply switching the formation champ man style (although I would have gone with Saint's 3-4-3 line-up last night). We must have had 70%+ possession last night but we don't play at the tempo required to turn these teams around and get them running towards their own goal. Keeping the ball is all about options, angles and distances, now we got the first two right yesterday, there was no shortage of options, but the players seemed so far away from eachother, very little one-touch, one-two stuff, no quick zippy exchanges that can unlock an organised defence. A game like yesterday needs a few players who can beat the first man, they don't have to take everybody on but do enough to drag another defender their way and free space for a team mate elsewhere. You saw the difference it made when Babel came on. Against teams like this we NEED 3/4 players who can do that, ideally one of your FBs, your two widemen, and whoever is playing in the hole. It isn't Gerrard's game and never will be, he beats players with his pace and power, he's never gonna sell someone a move and drift past them.

I agree Ngog needs help upfront though, when he did win the odd header or manage to get the ball down there was no one close enough (until Pachecho) to take advantage.

Also, last night's game was set up for Aquilani but he didn't step-up. My opinion hasn't changed on him.
Last edited by Scottbot on Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:33 am

Annoying game against a team which wasn't allowed to cross their half side of the pitch.

I really think Rafa should consider ,if this word is even in his vocabulary ,to bench Kuyt which to me is just lost this season and i'm afraid he will explode with frustration when trying to pass a player while dribbling ,the guy is our hardest worker but he is just dying out there with no ability to show for.

Aquaman is quickly turning into a Farce ,last night should have been his time to shine ,against a team which doesn't press and play physical as in the Premiership ,but he was terrible.

Really liked the short striker which came in.

And Yes Babel is still a donkey ,a very fast one, but still a donkey.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:48 am

Scottbot wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:Some have suggested we should have gone with a straight 4-4-2 formation, I'd go further and suggest that after half an hour given romanian tactics we could comfortably have gone with 3-4-3.

Agree on that mate, you could see from 15 mins in that they had no intention of coming out, even when they had the ball and the opportunity to break. I didn't understand Rafa's reluctance to get more forward players on the pitch. My observations were:

- The crowd were bored shi....t...l...ess after a bright opening 10 mins.
- We struggle big time against sides that sit back and are organised. Credit to them, they were set up perfectly.
- Aquilani isn't really getting any better is he?
- Gerrard didn't have a bad game as someone said in this thread, he just isn't cut out to play off the frontman when the frontman isn't TORRES.
- Carra at RB against this lot made no sense.
- Great to see Pachecho get some minutes and the assist will do him good
- We should have got something from all those corners
- Masch's workrate was amazing again
- Babel was by far the best player on the park in just 30 mins of action. HE DESERVES TO START OUR NEXT GAME - IF YOU PLAY LIKE THAT YOU SHOULD GET A SHOT, but he won't. Back to Maxi on the left against City :(

I hear you Scott.

:nod

I'm really disappointed with Aquilani, I know it's early days etc etc etc, I'm not expecting him to wow us with stellar performances but for christ sake what skill has he shown so far that virtually any half decent midfielder doesn't possess ?

On the Gerrard/Torres issue. Ngog just isn't effective enough to play up top on his own. Until Torres is back I'd really like to see Rafa go with 4-4-2 it would at least give us a few more options ( it might even bring more out of Aquilani ).

Mentioned in the Babel thread that I think the fella deserves more playing time, was certainly one of our better performers last night. Whether Rafa gives him the opportunity remains to be seen.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby made in UK » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:53 am

Face it, we're cack this year. :(
"I'm a bellend and now I'm banned for life"
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:03 am

C'mon Woof Woof, Rafa change a team/formation after 30 mins, never gonna happen unless someone gets injured, got to wait until magical 60 min mark, its llike an alram clock goes off in his head.

Ok, Ngog scored but he was poor today, so weak, cannot hold the ball up and his first touch is mostly dreadful. Kuyt had a nightmare as well, that Brandon had him in his pocket.. I do feel sorry for Babel, how he can pick Ngog ahead of Bebel is beyond belief.

If anyone was watching it on Five, did you hear the comentator say that the whole population of their home city wouldn't fill half of Anfield. ???
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:35 pm

made in UK wrote:
Reg wrote:Compare that ineffective performance tonight with Ure's performance against Milan.... worlds apart.

We are sh!t, because we play sh!t.

We always play down to our opponents level, we cant even overwhelm some village team from Pikeyland Romania.

Its pathetic, it really is.

You moan about the Rafa "bashers"

yet you make posts like this  :upside:

who trains them, who picks them, who enforces the tactics we play?

Rafa picks the side and tactics, I have no problem with that but its upto the idiots on the field to score the goals and thats where we were let down last night.

Even my seven year old boys lost interest and played with their lego.
Last edited by Reg on Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games