LIVERPOOL V RABOTNICKI 2ND LEG - My 1st match thread and probably last

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby fivecups » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:49 pm

Ciggy wrote:This is going to sound like a really daft question and Ive had more on my mind the past few months to take interest in these things but we top the league in europe on points and got to the semi final why do we have to qualify and play another 19 games to reach the final?

I wont be @rsed if we go out of it BTW Im just curious.

Because we came seventh. If we'd even managed sixth we wouldn't be playing yet.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:49 pm

not sure the points matter, we will be seeded but im sure it all goes off where you finish in the league.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby Ciggy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:54 pm

fivecups wrote:Because we came seventh. If we'd even managed sixth we wouldn't be playing yet.

Wow really? K'inell, so getting to the semis last season didnt matter one bit and all the points we have in Europe we are head and shoulders above everyone.
As I said I hope we go out of it and concentrate on the league and a domestic cups cant be doing with thursday night Channel 5, or sunday and monday games.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:00 pm

air of optimism for the season after tonight...but that is par for the course every year  :D

enjoyed the game , some interesting comments on player performances in here tonight....

Ngog did well to be honest despite a few members thinking the contrary...same suspects always moaning

Kelly.... impressive (do hope he has a future)
Johnson ...looked fit and ready to rumble
Lucas did a fine nights work
Gerrard played his captains role ...some forceful bursts from midfield , made a few misplaced passes but did well overall
Jovanivic started slowly but had a good middle period and looks like a worthy squad member,
Cole definitely MOM for me...the only thing missing was a goal

An earlier comment about the crowd not singing for Roy is a bit harsh...the only managers that had their name chanted in their 1st home game to my knowledge were ex-players..Kenny Dalglish and Graeme Souness...don't think Benitez had a song for awhile and Houllier was a good few months in...but I stand to be corrected  ???
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby fivecups » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:00 pm

bigmick wrote:My ratings.

The keeper-6. Did all that was asked of him.
Johnson-7. Very impressive going forward.
Skrtel-7. Didn't put a foot wrong.
Carra-7. Was a 6 but got an extra point for his interview.
Kelly-7. Considering he was out of position did OK.
Jovanovic-7. Looks like a left footed Kuyt to me. Decent home debut.
Lucas-7 1/2. Tidy and decent. Possibly because we didn't have a pure holder last time he really was noticable.
Gerrard-9. The best player on view by a country mile.
Pacheco-6. Much to learn, but flashes of something there.
Cole-8. Quality was there for all to see.
N'Gog-8. Much improved.

Thoroughly enjoyed the match tonight even if we were playing minnows. It's amazing how the malaise of last season simply wasn't there. The players were enjoying themselves.

I agree with these ratings generally. It was a ridiculously one-sided match so the defense weren't much tested. They did manage to hit the post and probably should have had a goal towards the end which is a bit disappointing. Lucas looked full of confidence and put in a entirely competent performance. We need to see how he goes against the likes of Arsenal and City though. I have to give credit to Rafa here, Lucas came from Gremio as a box to box midfielder, he made some awful mistakes (memorably against Everton) trying to learn the holding role and now I can actually see him playing that position regularly. I didn't think he'd ever get that far.

I'd bump Kelly up to an 8 - for a young 'un he was heavily involved and looks to me the most likely to progress to a regular first-teamer in the next few seasons. Cole had a cracking Anfield debut and deserves an 8, you can see why he's a crowd favourite. Pacheco - I agree with your 6, for a wee lad with so much expectation I thought he had a mare tonight, always seemed out of position, seemed slow to anticipate the pass a few times, was easily tackled and got off balance when shooting. He's clearly got ability though and I look forward to seeing some more of him.

Very enjoyable.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:03 pm

Ciggy wrote:
fivecups wrote:Because we came seventh. If we'd even managed sixth we wouldn't be playing yet.

Wow really? K'inell, so getting to the semis last season didnt matter one bit and all the points we have in Europe we are head and shoulders above everyone.
As I said I hope we go out of it and concentrate on the league and a domestic cups cant be doing with thursday night Channel 5, or sunday and monday games.

I think Roy has said where his priorties lie - the Premiership and getting back into the CL. I'd use the CC and EL as opportunities to give match time to the squad players and youngsters.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:03 pm

supersub wrote:An earlier comment about the crowd not singing for Roy is a bit harsh

:D  Who said that :D

Im not having a dig at Roy BTW before anyone kicks off, but why would we sing a song for the new manager in our first game at Anfield?
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:04 pm

All of our points ensure that we are seeded.  Its really sort of funny how many more points we have than even the 2nd highest club.  I wish that you Europeans cared more about seeding, we live for that stuff in America :D     We would be playing the absolute worst team left all the way through to the final if I had it my way.
JoeTerp

Postby fivecups » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:06 pm

supersub wrote:Johnson ...looked fit and ready to rumble

That hair though, seriously...........it's f'ucking awful. Sort it out.

Did you see Parks hair yesterday, I actually laughed out loud.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:08 pm

fivecups wrote:That hair though, seriously...........it's f'ucking awful. Sort it out.

Our Glen looks pretty hot  :love: leave him alone I liked his hair all long in dreads tied up in a pony tail  :rasp

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:09 pm

Ciggy wrote:
supersub wrote:An earlier comment about the crowd not singing for Roy is a bit harsh

:D  Who said that :D

Im not having a dig at Roy BTW before anyone kicks off, but why would we sing a song for the new manager in our first game at Anfield?

I read a comment further back by bigmick , I think, something like his only dissappointment so far was the crowd not singing for Roy.....it may have been tongue in cheek... I was just scooting through posts pretty quickly to be honest
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby supersub » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:11 pm

Ciggy wrote:
fivecups wrote:That hair though, seriously...........it's f'ucking awful. Sort it out.

Our Glen looks pretty hot  :love: leave him alone I liked his hair all long in dreads tied up in a pony tail  :rasp

Give the whole squad the Spearing cut, I say... :laugh:
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby fivecups » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:11 pm

Ciggy wrote:

:D This perving side of footie is one I'll never be a part of! Unless it's Torres - if anyone could turn me..........The wife was raging he got his hair cut!  :D
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:12 pm

supersub wrote:I read a comment further back by bigmick , I think, something like his only dissappointment so far was the crowd not singing for Roy.....it may have been tongue in cheek... I was just scooting through posts pretty quickly to be honest

:D  Reading the Rattle it sounded like it was like a day out at Alton Towers theres a picture of a grown man in the full grey Liverpool kit with Trevenko 69 on the back who got thrown out at half time :D

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:14 pm

supersub wrote:
Ciggy wrote:

Give the whole squad the Spearing cut, I say... :laugh:

He might take over the ugly b'astard mantle from Yossi....

There always Kuytie though....
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games