Charlton V Liverpool - Where do we go from here?

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby gary cook » Sun Dec 08, 2002 7:23 am

I went to yesterday's game at Charlton. The display and result were so typical of our problems at the moment - we don't start playing until we're losing - and then we don't convert our chances. The first half performance was so lacking in energy and urgency it was no wonder that Charlton went in at half time with a fully deserved lead. We just looked so ponderous.

Second half - total transformation. Urgency, determination, pace and width. If we played like this for 90 minutes we would thrash sides like Charlton (and Basle, Sunderland, Middlebrough, Fulham etc). Chance after chance was created but none converted. Charlton's second goal was totally against the run of play and came as a result of us pushing for an equaliser.

My review of the players yesterday -

Kirlkand - Blameless for both goals. Very good overall.
Carragher - Never ventured past the half way line as usual.
Henchoz - Very solid, as usual.
Hyypia - As with recent games, doesn't look as solid as recent seasons.
Traore - Not bad, got forward once or twice. First goal came from that side.
Heskey - Went off injured. Never yet had a good game on the left - this was no exception. Must play up front.
Gerrard - Flashes of the former self, mainly in the 2nd half. Still doesn't look right.
Hamman - Noramlly world class. Slightly subdued yesterday.
Murphy - Best outfield player. Ran the show in the second half.
Diouf - Some trickery out wide in the seond half but generally awful. Seemd totally unable to hold onto the ball.
Owen - Quiet game. One very good chance straight after half time was badly missed.

Subs -

Riise - Added some width and should have started the game.
Baros - Lots of endeavour but no real impact.

Perhaps we don't need an out and out winger (although I'm not sure I agree with this view). But we need fullbacks that can get forward, send in telling crosses, and score the odd goal. Carragher and Traore, as much as I like them, cannot fulfill this need.
gary cook

Postby LFCNo1 » Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:12 pm

gary you hit the nail on the head in that Carragher and Traore are the worst combination of full backs we could play because neither of them give us anything going forward. The Man Utd game was screaming out for the left back to be able to get forward and give an option and Traore failed to do this.

Now I like both players as defenders. Carragher always gives 100% and is an excellent reader and reactor to danger, while Traore has done well as a back up centre back but they are both awful going forward as neither can pass it well enough. If we are going to play without any wide midfielders then it is imperitive that the full backs get forward and give some kind of option even if just to spread the field and give the midfielders a little more room.

Basically to get out of this slump we gotta go back to basics. Ditch the diamond system, ditch the idea that Heskey can play on the left and ditch the rotation system. This week we should put our strongest 11 out for both games against Vitesse and Sunderland, who by the look of last night should be there for the taking and provide the tonic we need. So stick to the same strongest 11 Gerard.
LFCNo1

Postby 116-1065305004 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:06 pm

Well we will be playing them again soon so lets just wait and see :D
116-1065305004

Postby supersub » Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:09 pm

Jeeeesuuus ancient history
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:16 pm

I know, what's all this about? ??? ???
jonnymac1979

Postby supersub » Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:53 pm

I don't know,but by replying it keeps this thread going,so why....
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Return to Liverpool FC - Games