Zenden's gone too

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby wee_boi888 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:31 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages....id=1779

Gerrard centre of attention as Zenden is ruled out
By JOHN EDWARDS

Last updated at 22:21pm on 27th November 2006

Zenden: month on the sidelines

Rafa Benitez was left with the ultimate irony of having Steven Gerrard left as his one fit central midfielder yesterday after Bolo Zenden was ruled out for at least a month with a knee injury

The Liverpool manager was left surveying a decimated midfield after Zenden joined Momo Sissoko and Xabi Alonso among the absentees with a knee problem that will take between four to six weeks to heal.

With Sissoko sidelined until the New Year with a damaged shoulder and Alonso targeting the December 9 game with Fulham for his comeback from a bruised hip, Benitez must choose between centre-back Jamie Carragher and untried 19-year-old Danny Guthrie to partner Gerrard against Portsmouth tomorrow, Wigan on Saturday, and Galatasaray in the Champions' League next Tuesday.

Gerrard has made no secret of his desire to take responsibility from the middle but his position has been subject to great debate with Benitez preferring instead to use him in a free role — starting from the right of midfield.

The Spaniard steadfastly refused to be influenced by calls from former players and commentators to switch his captain but now finds himself with little choice.

For all the talk of Gerrard losing patience with his taskmaster boss, however, there remains a healthy mutual respect that was evident in their latest verbal exchange.

Benitez has exacting standards yet stressed he was sending out a positive message last week, in telling Gerrard he was ‘not as close to his true level as he thinks’.

And Gerrard, 26, says he is ready to take up Benitez's challenge to get even better. He said: 'The manager knows his football, and if someone of his experience says I can improve, I will take it on board and try and make it happen.

'I take it as a compliment, really. I did say I can feel myself getting close to my best, but that doesn't mean I am totally happy with how I am playing at the moment. I set myself high standards and try and be the best every time I play.

'No matter how old or experienced you are, you never stop learning in this game. I remember a quote from Roy Keane when he said he was still learning at 31. You learn from every match, every training session.

'I think Rafa studies the game so much that he is interested in the small details. He's always going on at me and the other players to try and improve all the time, but I understand exactly what he means.

'When my form has not been there, there is no-one more frustrated than me. A lot of people point it out, but there is no-one more critical than myself. I want to get it right.'

Meanwhile, Craig Bellamy is almost certain to miss Liverpool's match against Portsmouth because of delays at his court hearing.

The Wales forward, who has denied an assault charge in Cardiff, is set to spend three more days in Magistrates' Court this week. Matters have not been helped by the non-appearance of a witness, which curtailed progress yesterday.

Bellamy has still not given evidence himself and it is likely the case will continue into Wednesday, making it impossible for the 27-year-old to return to Anfield in time to be involved against Portsmouth.

---

Who's gonna play in the middle now? Agger? Guthrie? We are in a bit of strife now...
wee_boi888
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:41 am

Agger or Riise could do a good job in CM. If not them, is anyone taking their boots on Wednesday ?
account deleted by request

Postby mattylfc » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:30 am

That is unbelievable, not having much luck at the moment.

JC has to be a possibility, that or one of the young lads.

Maybe even recall Diao!!!! :Oo:
mattylfc

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:57 am

Blessing in disguise
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:26 am

There's nothing on the official site.

Is that in todays Mail then ?

He is not good enough imo but works hard and with Alonso and Sissoko out we would be in with a bit of a problem.

We would have to play one of the kids.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:34 am

its on SSN ace
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:39 am

Last year we were particularly lucky when it came to injuries. Hyypia and Carra were available all seasons, same thing for the middle of the park. Watching Hamman in the subs of Man city made me angry last day, he'd come handy.

As for Rafa's words towards Gerrard, I also think he can improve, meaning that he has been excellent so far, but I think that he's the kind of player that with 28-29 he'll have that extra wisdom to make even better decissions.

I take it as a complimment too.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:09 pm

The phrase 'UP SHIT CREEK WITHOUT A PADDLE' comes to mind. As for sorting it out I'd expect more of a change of system than bringing one of the young lads in or playing Carra or Agger out of position.

4-3-3 anyone?? ???
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:16 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:Blessing in disguise

really??  How is having 1 central midfilder fit a blessing?!  :Oo:
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:27 pm

Do you think one of the central defenders could play in the defensive midfielder position at some point if there's no other option?

I know Hyypia doesn't have the atributes to do that, but I'm not so sure about Carra or Agger!

There are several examples in the top leagues, like the central defender COloccini that right now is playing the defensive midfielder role.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:50 pm

If one were to attempt turning a frown upside down, this may be a good oppertunity to experiment. See how this fits:

.               Reina
. Finnan                  Riise
       Agger        Hyypia
     Carragher     Gerrard
Pennant                 Gonzales
              Garcia
               Kuyt

This could be a way of suring up the midfield without compromising attack or defence. Carragher is an old hand at this role and Agger is more than addequate cover. With Garcia acting as a second striker he can be an extra body in the middle when the opposition have the ball, and a striker when we're in possession. This would be my method, bt Rafa probably has a better idea of what's going down.

We won the Champion's League in a season when at one point we had only ten fit first team players (and two of those were goalkeepers) so it's not panic stations yet. Bad news none the less.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:38 pm

FFS Cant Zenden go a full season without getting injured. I seriously hopes Rafa ofloads him come the transfer window.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:59 pm

good god, were down to just Gerrard.

This Formation for the next match:

Reina

Finnan Agger Carra Warnock

Me St. Michael Gerrard WelshWizard

Fowler Kuyt
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:13 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:If one were to attempt turning a frown upside down, this may be a good oppertunity to experiment. See how this fits:

.               Reina
. Finnan                  Riise
       Agger        Hyypia
     Carragher     Gerrard
Pennant                 Gonzales
              Garcia
               Kuyt

This could be a way of suring up the midfield without compromising attack or defence. Carragher is an old hand at this role and Agger is more than addequate cover. With Garcia acting as a second striker he can be an extra body in the middle when the opposition have the ball, and a striker when we're in possession. This would be my method, bt Rafa probably has a better idea of what's going down.

We won the Champion's League in a season when at one point we had only ten fit first team players (and two of those were goalkeepers) so it's not panic stations yet. Bad news none the less.

Gonzalez is out for at least 3 weeks with a torn hamstring according to .tv!

If we aren't going to change the formation I would expect to see Carra moving into a holding midfield role against Pompey as they haven't got the paciest attack apart from LuaLua and I'm not sure whether he's been playing lately.

Probable Line-up:

Reina

Finnan  Hyypia  Agger  Riise

Pennant  Carra  Gerrard  Garcia

Kuyt      Crouch
                       (or GOD)

Subs: Anf fucker thats fit!!  :D
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:53 pm

i'd be surprised if we see Gonzalez anytime before Feb
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion