Z cars to be played at anfield tonight

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby KRobbo10 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:00 am

Liverpool Football Club will tonight pay Rhys Jones the ultimate tribute by playing his beloved Everton anthem at Anfield before the clash with Toulouse. The Z-Cars theme tune 'Johnny Todd' - the song which traditionally greets the arrival of the Everton team onto the Goodison Park pitch - will be played prior to 'You'll Never Walk Alone' ahead of this evening's 8.05pm kick-off.

Following a suggestion from Liverpool Echo feature writer Tony Barrett to mark the youngster's tragic death in such an unprecedented way, the newspaper was inundated with requests for the unique tribute to be staged.

Anfield chief executive Rick Parry spoke with Rhys's family who agreed they would be delighted if the Reds paid tribute to their son's memory in such a fitting way.

After the two songs there will then be a minute's applause and the Liverpool players will show their respect by wearing black armbands during the game.

Rhys's parents Stephen and Melanie will also be at Anfield for the game.

The youngster's uncle Neil Jones admits the family have been overwhelmed by such a show of support from the Blues' city rivals.

He said: "When I told them about the proposed tribute at Anfield, Melanie said playing Johnny Todd at Anfield would be a unique event, a complete one-off, just like Rhys, and a fitting tribute to him as it was his favourite tune.

"She's also pretty sure he'll have a little mischievous grin on his face at the thought of being the cause of it."

Not to sue on this, i thing this could back fire   :help
KRobbo10

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:06 am

im curious, not having a go at anyone, but what has everton ever done for us besides taking digs at heysel and hillsborough on their forums?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Well Red » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:12 am

this is really shocking... I can't believe they're going to do it. I mean, his death is a tragic event, and a minute's silence/applause would have been greeted well, but this seems insanity.

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets drowned out with a chorus of booing, and to be honest I wouldn't blame the Anfield faithful. I mean, we may as well hoise their Flag up and get the Kop to bloody salute it. :censored: incredible.
THERE WILL BE LIFE AFTER TORRES:

Well Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:22 am

Only scousers understand and LFC fans that know the past history I for one am all for it.
The blues where there for us with Hillsborough watch and learn.
In these circumstances there is no colour only Merseyside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYjJy_YyWQE
Last edited by Ciggy on Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KRobbo10 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:26 am

It looks like this is going to take place as it says so on the LFC website, the family are going to be there tonight and if it does getting booed it is only gonna look bad on us as it will be like were booing the kid.

I think this is a bad move by Liverpool. Im going tonight and its make me feel nervous about the game because I won't be booing but I won't be happy about sitting there listening to it either.
KRobbo10

Postby KRobbo10 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:27 am

Ciggy wrote:Only scousers understand and LFC fans that know the past history I for one am all for it.
The blues where there for us with Hillsborough watch and learn.
In these circumstances there is no colour only Merseyside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYjJy_YyWQE

I agree with that but you will get dickheads at the game.  and as i said before it will look bad on us
KRobbo10

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:29 am

I would of thought a minutes silence would suffice. That's all Everton had, why we doing more?
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:31 am

I think its a b.loody nice gesture, I hope little Rhys is looking down with that 'cheeky grin'

YNWA Rhys RIP :)
66-1112520797

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:35 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:im curious, not having a go at anyone, but what has everton ever done for us besides taking digs at heysel and hillsborough on their forums?

The Everton fans were there for the Liverpool fans after Hillsborough. It was a city wide tragedy just like the current awful events are.

There are a mindless minority that choose to voice their dislike of LFC by chanting these sick songs about Heysel and Hillsborough but when it comes to horrors like we've witnessed in the past week the true colours of both sets of fans will shine through.

I think this is an excellent way of showing that Liverpool F.C. is thinking about Rhys' family at this terrible time.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:35 am

SouthCoastShankly wrote:I would of thought a minutes silence would suffice. That's all Everton had, why we doing more?

The everton players went to the memorial yesterday and everton has done all sorts for the family.

The thing is what some people dont understand is our familys are mixed red & blue and we have lost a little scouser who could have been our nephew, cousin etc etc.

We mourn as a city not as football fans.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BillyE » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:35 am

A gesture like this is what makes me so proud to be a Liverpool fan.  Its what makes LFC stand head and shoulders the rest.  Its a tremendous gesture and one which will be remembered for years.  Its not about raising Evertons colours at Anfield but about paying tribute to an innocent wee lad robbed of his right to life.  How many of his school mates would of been red?? No doubt quite a view and its got to be a great way for them to say goodbye to their friend.  This tribute isn't about Liverpool or Everton football club, its about the city of Liverpool as a whole showing Unity.
BillyE

Postby Well Red » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:38 am

I hope there aren't any boos, but I'd like to hear the Kop singing YNWA over the sound of the Toffee's song on the tannoy :(
THERE WILL BE LIFE AFTER TORRES:

Well Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:42 am

Well Red wrote:I hope there aren't any boos, but I'd like to hear the Kop singing YNWA over the sound of the Toffee's song on the tannoy :(

Hmm .... At a time like this, I wouldnt mind the KOP singing along with Rhys's song.
66-1112520797

Postby Ciggy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:45 am

Z-cars was actually from a series that was set in Kirkby years ago.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:56 am

i dont think there will be any booing, and if there is i would imagine the people would be quietened down quickly.

what is happening tonight is not for EFC, its for an 11 year old scouser, maybe people from outside the city wont understand this, rhys is a scouser first and a blue second.

i think its a great tribute and shows the class of our club
112-1077774096

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion