Your in charge - What would you do?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:56 pm

Here’s my five cents…..

A clean sweep:

Sell Jerzy Dudek….Man City would probably sign him for £4 or £5million as Keegan is in the market for a new keeper. Confirm Kirkland as first choice and get in an experienced but slightly over the hill back up to Kirkland with a view to that guy being groomed as a long term goal keeping coach. Don’t laugh, but I would think someone like Alan Kelly of Blackburn (who was a superb keeper for years for Ireland) or Maik Taylor of Birmingham/Fulham or Paul Jones of Southampton. We would save a lot on wages and the veteran would know his place and provide help and support to Kirkland, who I think has the potential to be the best in the world.

Sell Djimi Traore…..no matter what way you look at him, he’s simply not good enough for Liverpool. Someone like Blackburn or Bolton would give us a million and a half for him.

Sell Igor Biscan……people may claim he’s improving, but lets face it, he would never get a game for Man UTD, Arsenal, or Chelsea.

Let Stephan Henchoz go……I was a massive fan of his a few years ago (I believe that he was the best out and out defender in England in 2001 and 2002) but he is now extremely injury prone and is turning into Liverpool’s Ronnie Johnsen, in that he’s either always injured or is returning from injury.

Sell John Arne Riise……..controversial, I know, but people should try to put some of his spectacular goals to one side and consider the fact that this guy is little more than a superb athlete with a cracking left foot but with little real footballing ability. Can run all day and is enthusiastic, but wastes too much ball and is average at best as a defender.

Sell Salif Diao……I used to be a fan, but I think it would be best for everyone if he started afresh at another club.

Sell Vladimir Smicer….I know he has improved this year, but he’s hardly Robert Pires, is he? Hell, Smicer is more in Luke Chadwick’s league. Would be good for Bolton, but this is Liverpool we are talking about!

Sell Bruno Cheyrou……I know he deserves a chance, but this guy is even more effeminate than Smicer and has already admitted that he is not good enough for the Premiership.

Sell Emile Heskey….I don’t think I need to explain why.

I would also look at the other players at the club. I would look at how Diarra, Babbel, Vignal and Mellor are doing out on loan. If Babbel shows improvement, I would seriously consider giving him one last chance. I would probably let Diarra, Vignal and Mellor go.

I would have to take a look at Ritchie Patridge and decide whether he’s worth keeping.

Give Jon Welsh and Jon Ostembor a few first team chances.

I wouldn’t over expose Le Tallec and Sinama Pongolle to the first team. I would take a softly softly approach.

I would give Diouff a year to prove himself, and I would try to make a striker out of him.

In defence, we need to bring in a skillfull and pacey centre half. Boumsong looks like a decent player, but obviously given the Houllier conenction I am very suspicious. Gallas is not 100% happy at Chelsea and he has a release clause for around £7.5million. However, we would have to fight Arsenal tooth and nail for his signature, and unless we offered him more money, he would probably decide to switch to Highbury.

We also need a decent attacking left back…..there are not many around. Maybe Vincent Candela at Roma, but he would cost a lot.

I would keep Jamie Carragher as we need to hold onto a few home grown players.

In midfield, I would sign Steed Malbranque from Fulham, as he is proven at Premiership level and he is a rising star. He is a far better player on the right than either Smicer or Diouff.

I would try to sign someone like Hakin Yakin as he is a match winner.

I think it would be crucial to sign a veteran midfield ball player in the Gary McAllister mould, a guy who would take some of the burden from Gerrard and give us some leadership and direction, someone like Mustovoi of Celta Vigo. I think that the team needs a short term injection of class and experience.

Up front we need an arrogant and selfish striker, proven at Premiership level. I would like Viduka or maybe even go back for Anelka.

We are kidding ourselves about taking about buying proven big name continental players like Ayala and Ballack as Liverpool are currently utterly unattractive to top players. Also, there is no way in hot hell that Chelsea will sell John Terry! Matthew Upson is shining at Birmingham and I think that in 12 months time he will be ready for a step up to a bigger club. He could be Hyppia’s long term replacement.

My “new” Liverpool side would be:

Kirkland

Finnan Gallas Hyppia      Candela

Hamman

Gerrard
Malbranque Kewell

Owen
Viduka

Subs: Jones, Carragher, Murphy, Yakin, Mustovoi, LeTallec, Baros, Welsh, Ostembor, Babbel, Pongolle, Diouff.

I think those signings wouldn’t be that difficult (although Arsenal would fight us for Gallas, Boumsong wouldn’t be a bad alternative), but still would probably cost us £25-£30million.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:04 pm

Sorry JBG I have to disagree, I don't think we need major change, for the short term(this summer) get rid of Troare, Henchoz and Heskey, get Babbel of the books. Then bring in Boumsong to partner Hyypia, Viduka or maybe Cisse(only maybe) to partner Owen, and a right sised midfielder Like Simon Davies or if not Steed Malbranque.

For the long term, we would have to replace Hyypia with some one faster, and maybe Hamann.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:25 pm

Has wrote:Sorry JBG I have to disagree, I don't think we need major change,

Actually, if you look at the hypothetical best 11 I picked above, 7 players: Kirkland, Hyppia, Finnan, Gerrard, Hamman, Owen, Kewell are already at the club.

What I am advocating is to get rid of all the dead wood and underperformers.

I'd like to say "keep Diouff and Riise" in the side but I have to leave the fanboyism aside and say that neither of the two of them would be regulars in Chelsea's, Man Utd's or Arsenal's teams and unfortunately that is the standard that has been set.

You might argue that Ashley Cole is a poor defender, but what he gives Arsenal (width going forward and excellent interplay with Pires and especially Henry) more than makes up for his failings. Riise is a better defender but his use of the ball is terrible......last season he must have wasted more ball than any other Liverpool player.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Coley » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:58 pm

JBG, i agree with you 100%.  Far better than my attempt.  I just wish i knew what was going on in GH's head and in the boot room at the moment.  Surely they can see these things as well.  When i hear some of the ex-liverpool players (Ronnie Whelan recently on Century phone in) talking about players who are not 'liverpool players' it makes you wonder if GH knows what that means.  We all do.  God help us!

:p
Coley

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:16 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:
Has wrote:Sorry JBG I have to disagree, I don't think we need major change,

Actually, if you look at the hypothetical best 11 I picked above, 7 players: Kirkland, Hyppia, Finnan, Gerrard, Hamman, Owen, Kewell are already at the club.

What I am advocating is to get rid of all the dead wood and underperformers.

I'd like to say "keep Diouff and Riise" in the side but I have to leave the fanboyism aside and say that neither of the two of them would be regulars in Chelsea's, Man Utd's or Arsenal's teams and unfortunately that is the standard that has been set.

You might argue that Ashley Cole is a poor defender, but what he gives Arsenal (width going forward and excellent interplay with Pires and especially Henry) more than makes up for his failings. Riise is a better defender but his use of the ball is terrible......last season he must have wasted more ball than any other Liverpool player.

I have to disagree on Riise because I only rate him behind Owen, Gerrard and Kewell in terms of outfield players at Liverpool.

Also I think you need a Squad not just a team, also the need for a certain degree of continuity, gradual change if it is needed which it is.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:24 pm

We need to bring in players who will compete for/hold down a 1st team place which will push some of our average players down the pecking order and hopefully force out the garbage. If we signed Viduka, Yakin, Upson and Terry (just some names plucked out of the air, don't waste time arguing about the likelihood of us signing them) then we could get shot of Heskey, Cheyrou and Biscan for starters, maybe even Traore. What we have been doing is signing squad players and hoping they improve their way into the squad. Proven quality is the way to go, signing potential is a waste of money and very risky. I'd rather see someone like Otsemobor brought up through the ranks than another Traore signed for £500k
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:36 pm

I agree with Owzat that we only need to bring players in that will be first teamers.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ozzie1000 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:38 pm

wat would u do has, giv heskey 20m 2 giv u shiners
:laugh:
ozzie1000

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:45 pm

Please put this type of comment in the other forum please.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:15 pm

Owzat is 100% right when he says that we are better bringing through guys like Ostemebor than signing guys like Traore or Vignal for £500,000.

Those young British or Irish guys that come through the ranks kill themselves out on the pitch. You just know they love the shirt.

I know Sinama and Le Tallec look like good prospects already but have they the passion that Fowler, Owen, Gerrard, McMannaman, Thompson, Matteo etc had when they first came through?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby simic_ie » Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:08 pm

Tell you what one of my top priorities would be if I were manager right now, it wold be to try and sort out Henrik Larsson on a free in the summer. His agent has just said that he would be open to offers from Premiership clubs and I think he could have that Gary Mac affeect around the club. Never mind the fact that he's 32, he's still banging them in in the SPL and more importantly in the Champions League.
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leothelion » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:10 pm

HAVE TO AGREE WITH JBG THE PLAYERS WHO COME TRU THE RANKS DEFINETLY PLAY WITH MORE PASSION .BIG NAME PLAYERS THAT COME IN MAY BE GOOD BUT PLAY FOR MONEY RATHER THAN THE LOVE OF THE SHIRT THEY WERE
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
"MEMBER OF BEAVIS CREW"
leothelion
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:58 am

Signing Larson is a great idea.

Fantastic professional, great attitude, lethal finisher. He has the look of a fella who could play until he's 38 to me. Like Shearer he no longer relies on his pace, instead he's become a very clever box player.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby long sleeved joe » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:06 pm

i agree that not much needs to be done. But we still have a major lack of confidence and miss way too many chances in front of goal. Id bring in Malbranque to play wide left and play Kewell up front with Owen but we definately need a new out and out striker and Cisse seems as good an option as any. I just think that players like Owen, Kewell, Heskey and Diouff dont have enough competition for there positions and i think this would improve them individually.Unfortunately even when there well off form they keep playing- when you look at champions lge contenders every position has to be fought for.
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden i'd draw the curtains" Bill Shankly
long sleeved joe

Postby long sleeved joe » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:11 pm

I'm sure Houllier would get rid of Heskey, Cherou and other disappointments straight away if he could but its getting a good price and getting the player to agree- It sfrustrating because we could do with funds for a couple of new players but as we saw with Diomede some players prefer getting a good wage and 'rotting in the reserves' than moving to a lesser club.
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden i'd draw the curtains" Bill Shankly
long sleeved joe

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion