You have 30 million... - ... how do you make us champions?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:02 am

Effes wrote:
LiverpoolMadman wrote:Mmmm ... If I have 45M ... I will start buying ...

Silva or Luka Modric = 18M
Micheal Johnson = 10M
Darren Bent and Aaron Lennon = 10M - 13M

And I will loan Steven Taylor and Coloccini

Colocinni?  ???

Steven Taylor  ???   ???

Darren Bent  ???

You really are a Madman   :laugh:

They are good player but they just in the wrong team. They are cheap and 2 of them I will only loan them ...
LiverpoolMadman

Postby aCe' » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:04 am

s@int wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:I think that out and out striker is MUCH more of a priority that the left wing, where we have Riera (expect more consistency this year, will have a full pre-season with the team, and is now 1.5 years experienced with the league, expect less soft falls too)  Yossi (shown he can come into undroppable form, granted on the right or filling in for Gerrard are probably his most effective positions, he can be effective on the left as well (really need the fullback to stay wide on overlaps because yossi isn't going to be pinging in the crosses all day from there, but he at least has it in his locker as a change up)), and Babel (who I hope can have a breakthrough, but I am not holding my breath, either way he is going to be in the team this year, so another LW really over crowds things

Whereas N'gog is the only striker to back up Torres. And I like N'gog. He seems a bit awkward, but is actually reasonably effective at holding up the ball and at flicking on for teammates, and his goal ratio, considering he mostly was playing as a sub, wasn't too bad. That said, I think he would benefit most from a loan to Wigan or Fulham, playing significant time in the PL dealing with PL CBs week in, week out. We sort of have Voronin, but he prefers to play off the main striker, and kuyt can do it, but then we miss him on the right (but if yossi is free to play there it isn't too bad), and then theoretically Babel can play there , but overall I am less sold on this crew, and it seems that Torres has bigger fitness issues than Riera and Yossi

I don't rate N'gog at all Joe, I would prefer playing Kuyt or Babel up front before him, but I think we are going to have to gamble on Torres remaining fit for most of the season because I don't think most decent strikers would want to come and play second fiddle on the bench, unless we sign Villa (or equivolent) and change our formation.

why not ?

look at clubs like Tottenham (Pavlyuchenko, Bent, Crouch Defoe, Keane), ManCity (a million of them), Aston Villa (Agbonlahor, Heskey, Carew) , Everton (Saha, Yakubu, Jo, Vaughan, Anichebe) ..etc etc... they all have better backup forwards than the ones we have... ffs come to think about it even Bolton, Blackburn and Sunderland do ! im sure im missed a few others aswell but you get the picture..

imo its not that hard doing better than what we have... someone like Pavlyuchenko would come in knowing he'll mainly be a sub but would get quite a few games here and there... at the price being thrown around (7-8mill) i think hed be an absolute bargain...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:08 am

:laugh: Actually Modric is a decent shout. He has had a year to get used to the prem, and really started to play well in the second half of the season for Spurs after a poor start. He is a very fast passer with good vision and I could see him creating a lot of goals for Gerrard and Torres. Again he is a bit small though.
account deleted by request

Postby Effes » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:08 am

Colocinni was like a lost member of the hair bear bunch last season.

Steven Taylor will never play in the Premiership with anyone other than Newcastle.

Darren Bent would only be acceptable if cheap, and only because all we've got as back up is Voronin or Ngog.

I think Lennon is just pace also, dont think he's got much else.

Surely £45M can be spent better?
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:13 am

Effes wrote:Surely £45M can be spent better?

Possibly so Eff, but it could be worse spent as well. We could sign Robbie Keane, Andre Dossena, Albert Riera and a Brazillian goalkeeper as well. Mind you, I suppose looking on the bright side we'd have about 4 million left over.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:17 am

aCe' wrote:
s@int wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:I think that out and out striker is MUCH more of a priority that the left wing, where we have Riera (expect more consistency this year, will have a full pre-season with the team, and is now 1.5 years experienced with the league, expect less soft falls too)  Yossi (shown he can come into undroppable form, granted on the right or filling in for Gerrard are probably his most effective positions, he can be effective on the left as well (really need the fullback to stay wide on overlaps because yossi isn't going to be pinging in the crosses all day from there, but he at least has it in his locker as a change up)), and Babel (who I hope can have a breakthrough, but I am not holding my breath, either way he is going to be in the team this year, so another LW really over crowds things

Whereas N'gog is the only striker to back up Torres. And I like N'gog. He seems a bit awkward, but is actually reasonably effective at holding up the ball and at flicking on for teammates, and his goal ratio, considering he mostly was playing as a sub, wasn't too bad. That said, I think he would benefit most from a loan to Wigan or Fulham, playing significant time in the PL dealing with PL CBs week in, week out. We sort of have Voronin, but he prefers to play off the main striker, and kuyt can do it, but then we miss him on the right (but if yossi is free to play there it isn't too bad), and then theoretically Babel can play there , but overall I am less sold on this crew, and it seems that Torres has bigger fitness issues than Riera and Yossi

I don't rate N'gog at all Joe, I would prefer playing Kuyt or Babel up front before him, but I think we are going to have to gamble on Torres remaining fit for most of the season because I don't think most decent strikers would want to come and play second fiddle on the bench, unless we sign Villa (or equivolent) and change our formation.

why not ?

look at clubs like Tottenham (Pavlyuchenko, Bent, Crouch Defoe, Keane), ManCity (a million of them), Aston Villa (Agbonlahor, Heskey, Carew) , Everton (Saha, Yakubu, Jo, Vaughan, Anichebe) ..etc etc... they all have better backup forwards than the ones we have... ffs come to think about it even Bolton, Blackburn and Sunderland do ! im sure im missed a few others aswell but you get the picture..

imo its not that hard doing better than what we have... someone like Pavlyuchenko would come in knowing he'll mainly be a sub but would get quite a few games here and there... at the price being thrown around (7-8mill) i think hed be an absolute bargain...

I don't think most would though mate most want a decent chance of first team football and know that their chances would be limited with us. I don't believe its just luck that Crouch chose Spurs and Heskey chose Villa over us.

The problem we have is the players that would come either cost too much and we would have to change our style to accommodate them, or they just arn't good enough and know their chances would be very limited.

I would rather wait and sign someone good when we have the money , rather than buy some loser that we are then stuck with for 4 years.

As we keep being reminded its the World cup next year, anyone with any sort of hope of playing in it wouldn't want to come anyway.

Postby Effes » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:19 am

I still dont know who to blame (if that's the word) over Keane.

Dossena is surely down to the scout; I cant imagine Rafa having seen him much.

Riera was a desparate buy - we needed someone cheap to fill the left side.

I rarely unduly defend Rafa, but on those signings I'll abstain/defend.

You can add Lucas to your list too.

most of these signings were when we could only spend so much on one player though - now I think we
are justified spending £20M on one player.

I will admit though - besides Sneijder, I'm stuck for ideas on a central midfielder.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:26 am

The one decent striker we could have signed who wanted to come .... Owen, we let slip away. People were worried about Owen's injuries, so we then try to buy a midfielder with a worse injury record than Owen.

Postby redbeergoggles » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:21 am

Armed with 30 million I would buy Van de Vart for 10 million ,and pay the same amount for Granero from Real Madrid ,the rest would go on Fabian Delph from Leeds ,I dont think there is an urgent need for another centre back ,I eventually see Carra as cover for the soon to be first choice pairing of Agger and Skrtel ...

Oh and with the pocket change  left over I would pay for Degens taxi :D
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:39 am

One thing we definatly should not look at is buying from the PL. No way will we get value for money.

Hangeland for example will cost 12-15 million just like Turner will cost 12 million. And those are defenders.
Then we have players like Young who will cost 30 million and still people still insist on PL players. And don't give me that "but they are used to the league".

We all saw with Keane how important that is!
Only one thing matters and that is quality above all else.
If good enough he will succeed. If that means from Mars then fine if the price is good.

If we want to improve, and I mean really improve, our squad
on a couple of positions then we should look at the continent.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:52 am

redbeergoggles wrote:Armed with 30 million I would buy Van de Vart for 10 million ,and pay the same amount for Granero from Real Madrid ,the rest would go on Fabian Delph from Leeds ,I dont think there is an urgent need for another centre back ,I eventually see Carra as cover for the soon to be first choice pairing of Agger and Skrtel ...

No need for a CB?

Well, the drop is in my eyes is very steep after our 3 CBs. Doesn't have to be a top class expensive CB but a reliable player who you know can do the job as 4th choice.

Joe Cole is a player I have always liked but with most players playing for a top 4 club, I have long given up hope of him playing for us. Chelski in my eyes would probably do like Duff and sell him to a non-top team(spurs) than accept an offer from us.

And I do not understand this Villa love in.

1).We have to change our style with 2 strikers
2) We have to move back Gerrard
3) I have very rarely seen Villa and Torres having a great game at the same time. Seem to be steping on eachother toes every damn game!
4) He would cost a fortune and we have other more urgent needs!

And same with Silva.

1) Sure, he was great a couple of years ago a few games in the CL but he was very average last season for Valencia
2) Riera plays just as much as him the the national team and he cost 8 million.
3) What justifies that 30 million price tag is beyond me
4) He is hyped just about now and if becomes available and we bid other teams will surely outbid us.
5) I'd much rather us get Joaquin who I don't believe has become a poor player just like that and who would be cheaper.

I'd prefer if Rafa found some cheap gems like Arbeloa as cover for rb and cb, maybe even one player being able to do both duties.
And then spend the money on Aquilani(I wanted Lucho Gonsalez) and Joaquin(Cole if I didn't think it impossible) for around 30 million.
That would leave no money left I believe.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:42 am

Probably what they would do. Buy a cheaper replacement for Alonso and spend the rest covering the re-fi.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:18 am

Penguins wrote:
redbeergoggles wrote:Armed with 30 million I would buy Van de Vart for 10 million ,and pay the same amount for Granero from Real Madrid ,the rest would go on Fabian Delph from Leeds ,I dont think there is an urgent need for another centre back ,I eventually see Carra as cover for the soon to be first choice pairing of Agger and Skrtel ...

5) I'd much rather us get Joaquin who I don't believe has become a poor player just like that and who would be cheaper.

Yes,,, one of the forgotton players of Europe..

was widely touted a while ago, and I agree that he cannot have become a bad player overnight.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:49 am

crazyhorse wrote:
Penguins wrote:

Yes,,, one of the forgotton players of Europe..

was widely touted a while ago, and I agree that he cannot have become a bad player overnight.

He certainly looked a cracking prospect a few seasons back but I don't think he has the sort of work ethic Benitez likes in all of his players.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:53 am

Anybody know what the latest is with Richard Dunne at Citeh ? I recall he was on his way out 'cos drunken moneybags Hughes was hoovering up every player under the sun, and defenders as well....
TBH, I think he'd be a great addition to the team......hopefully treated a bit better than his Tallaght/Dublin/Ireland buddy from down the road, Robbie Keane...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion