Xabi needs to step it up a gear: rafa

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby whylongball? » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:36 pm

Three quality CM plus a young emerging CM. There is enough room for everyone, especially now that Momo has gone.
Keep Alonso. He'll be back  :D
whylongball?

Postby Penguins » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:46 pm

I completely disagree.
We are a club that really needs £15m if there is a chance.
A figure we can't say no to.
And I don't understand why we must have 4 quality center mids when every single one of our wide players are poor or average.
Where is the logic in that when only 2 center mids can play at the same time. Utter madness having 25 million on the bench in Alonso and Lucas when we toil around with Kewell, Risse etc
out wide.

We are not a club made of money(especially not now) and 15 million who sits on the bench(holds true no matter which combination you use) could go a long way of securing a top class left winger who would play every game.

Pennant Gerrard masherano kewell or

Pennant Gerrard masherano Quaresma

I know which midfield I'd like. And no, players sitting in the bench add nothing on the field!
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:01 pm

Quaresma isn't a left winger.

I'm not certain about Quaresma at all, even if he was to play on the right wing.

Those who laud the guy tend to be attracted to flashy bullsh!t without much end product, his touch isn't that good, and his delivery isn't either. His decision making, from what I've seen is quite poor.
LFC2007

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:06 pm

LFC2007 wrote:Quaresma isn't a left winger.

I'm not certain about Quaresma at all, even if he was to play on the right wing.

Those who laud the guy tend to be attracted to flashy bullsh!t without much end product, his touch isn't that good, and his delivery isn't either. His decision making, from what I've seen is quite poor.

I dont rate him at all sorry folks but if we went after him i would class that as a bad buy
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:02 pm

Oh sorry. Quaresma was just an example and doesn't affect the point I was putting across.
Replace Quaresma with quality left winger if you want, but it doesn't change the fact that our starting 11 becomes much stronger.

In the summer Rafa might only be able to buy either a top class striker or a top class left winger because each would cost around 15-25 million. And we desperatly need both.
Then if we could get 15 for Alonso we could get both and still have Lucas to warm the bench as center mid.

Easy choice, especially since I haven't seen Alonso putting in top performances for 2 years now. I do know though that he would be quality in the italian or spanish leagues where the tempo is slower.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:07 pm

NANNY RED wrote:Best passer of the ball weve got and at the moment thats what were missing.

Not showing it now is he? And i think that gerard is a better passer of the ball then him , but hey we all have our opinions
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bammo » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:31 pm

To be fair to Xabi it's a bit difficult to show his best form when he's not playing.
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:19 am

Bammo wrote:To be fair to Xabi it's a bit difficult to show his best form when he's not playing.

he has been given opportunities , last season he was almost playing every game , but he was average , yes he had mybe 5 good games in the whole season . This season he has been introudced less , but yes he has had his opportunities , and has NOT used them to impress the fans and rafa so that he win his place back . Mascherano has a firm grasp on one of the 2 CM places and xabi has been dislodged from it
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedRoots » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:55 am

Penguins wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
ruskiy playmaker wrote:
Ciggy wrote:"But I don't think people are fair on Kuyt, he does a fantastic job for the team and the question is finding the balance between them. This game was good for Crouch and another game might be good for Kuyt.

ffs sake Rafa.  I've always defended him but to say that Kuyt has done a fantastic job is a complete lie.  If Rafa uses Kuyt against Chelsea he's going to make a lot of fans unhappy.

He will....for sure!

If he's looking to offload Kuyt in the summer, coming out in the press and criticising him isn't going to help.

He's probably looking to show confidence in him, so he can play better if he's called upon, and that could be the difference between receiving a bid, or not.

Funnily enough, Kuyt plays sh*t most of the time, then pops up with a goal every other big game or so. He's scored against Chelsea before, so I can see him start with none other than Torres. It may not be as bad as a selection as most would think. We'll need someone to press the ball high up, and this seems to be Kuyt's one and only redeeming feature of his play. You could be correct about playing him more often than is wanted because goals will obviously boost his overall value if and when he is sold.

It's when I see quotes like this that I start losing faith.
it's beggards belief how Rafa can not see what is so obviously clear for eveyone else.

I'm not saying he should critize him at every opportunity, but everytime he mentions him in the press he is always praising him and tells everyone what a fantastic player he is.
Almost on the border of comical at times.

Kuyt is technically one of the worst strikers I have ever seen wearing the red shirt. Sure, he works harder than Meijer, but ability wise, not better.

1 fluke goal from open play and counting after a whole season as a one of the 1st choice strikers. GET RID!   :angry:

What i think is, maybe Kuyt is the type of bloke that needs a pat on the back and Xabi is the type that needs a kick up the hole! People are talking about man management here but basically it comes down to different strokes for different folks.

I know if my boss turned around and said out loud that i wasn't worth a bollox i'd want to prove him and the others otherwise, with the skills that i know i posess, maybe Rafa knows that Xabi is this type and is trying to spur him on with these comments!

Not all footballers are like the lads at Chelsea i.e crying when Mammy Maureen told them he was leaving(i'm looking at you Terry Lampard Drogba, you big pack of un-men) Some are lads like you and I who are motivated by different things such as the slight criticism which has been shown by Rafa here.
RedRoots

Postby Espionage » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:05 am

I wouldnt read too much into Rafa's comments about Xabi.  I dont really think that it was meant to be a challenge, but more of what lies in store for him as that is what every player coming back to fitness has to do.  Rafa always states the obvious I think because of his lack of English skills which ofen make for some strange readings.

And about Kuyt, of course Rafa is going to come out and support Kuyt.  He has been dropped from his national team, fans turning on him, if Rafa doesnt show him some love then who will.

Coaches give their players a kick up the :censored: in many different ways, through the media is just one way (and often not a very good way).
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:23 am

FFS folks....Can't believe I'm reading here of fans wishing to cash in on Alonso. Sure, he's had a dip in form, but who hasn't in recent times ? Would you be glad now, to have sold off Gerrard when he went to pot for a while ? And guess what else : Torres wasn't scoring a lot of goals for a long time - would you sell him ?
Gimme a break....
The guy has had a dip in form. Live with it. He'll get back to his best. He needs support from the manager and from the fans, not a flurry of rumours that he's about to be sold.
And one other thing...just where this conviction that Lucas is God's gift to the midfield comes from, I just don't know. Yes, he's South American, and allegedly skilful - but so what ? What about that donkey we signed from Chile ? I saw Lucas in the flesh vs. Sunderland, and the bloke had an absolute mare of a game.
Wake up people....I'd hold on to Alonso any day.
But - if he wants to go, then business is business, and I'd expect a pile o' cash for him...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby The_Rock » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:46 am

bunglemark2 wrote:FFS folks....Can't believe I'm reading here of fans wishing to cash in on Alonso. Sure, he's had a dip in form, but who hasn't in recent times ? Would you be glad now, to have sold off Gerrard when he went to pot for a while ? And guess what else : Torres wasn't scoring a lot of goals for a long time - would you sell him ?
Gimme a break....
The guy has had a dip in form. Live with it. He'll get back to his best. He needs support from the manager and from the fans, not a flurry of rumours that he's about to be sold.
And one other thing...just where this conviction that Lucas is God's gift to the midfield comes from, I just don't know. Yes, he's South American, and allegedly skilful - but so what ? What about that donkey we signed from Chile ? I saw Lucas in the flesh vs. Sunderland, and the bloke had an absolute mare of a game.
Wake up people....I'd hold on to Alonso any day.
But - if he wants to go, then business is business, and I'd expect a pile o' cash for him...

Alonso has been performing "not that good at all" for more than 2 seasons..... Ever since Dean Ashton took out alonso's game in the FA Cup final....opposition teams have learnt how to counter his game.

Lets face it....if alonso can't hit those hollywood passes...can't dictate the game...then what use is he to us ? Maybe if we haven't bought lucas..you can make an arguement to keep him. But we have Lucas and its no use playing him only for 1/3 of our games....

Alonso is one of our assets who can fetch a high transfer value....Same as Baros....Same as Cisse...Same as bellamy.  :p
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion