Xabi needs to step it up a gear: rafa

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby laza » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:38 pm

s@int wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
lakes10 wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:Nothing wrong with the statement, IMO.  Not least because it's true.  I don't think it's anything more than Rafa telling one of his more reliable players not to rest on his laurels and to get back to somewhere near his best.  To be fair, he could make the same statement about a fair few of his players at the moment.  For the record, he could also stand to play his players in their best positions and stick with in form players but that's a topic covered in 1 or 2 other threads... :D

no need to do it in the public is there, pull the player to one side and tell him, and if you do that you should not go and then tell the press about it. bad people management by Rafa.

Well if he was asked the question about Alonso in an interview and he gave an honest answer, what's the problem?  Too many times people criticize Rafa for not being honest about our play and our players to the press.  Yet, when he does say something most people are thinking, he gets criticized for it.  Go figure.

But why tell the truth about Alonso and then spoil it by lying about Kuyt?  :D

Troublemaker    :D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:42 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
lakes10 wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:Nothing wrong with the statement, IMO.  Not least because it's true.  I don't think it's anything more than Rafa telling one of his more reliable players not to rest on his laurels and to get back to somewhere near his best.  To be fair, he could make the same statement about a fair few of his players at the moment.  For the record, he could also stand to play his players in their best positions and stick with in form players but that's a topic covered in 1 or 2 other threads... :D

no need to do it in the public is there, pull the player to one side and tell him, and if you do that you should not go and then tell the press about it. bad people management by Rafa.

Well if he was asked the question about Alonso in an interview and he gave an honest answer, what's the problem?  Too many times people criticize Rafa for not being honest about our play and our players to the press.  Yet, when he does say something most people are thinking, he gets criticized for it.  Go figure.

as we keep saying about the owners.......Its not the Liverpool way.

I take it if its ok for Rafa to say stuff like this in the press then it must also be ok for the owners to do the same???
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:32 pm

If one fan who's fallen in love with Alonso finds no wrong in Rafa's words about Alonso, then it can't be so terrible words. I hope no-one argues now it's because I'm more pro Rafa than pro Alonso!

I don't think it's the first time he says something like this.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:37 pm

lakes10 wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
lakes10 wrote:

I take it if its ok for Rafa to say stuff like this in the press then it must also be ok for the owners to do the same???

Lakes, if you can't see the difference between a manager publically letting a player know--in a very gentle and respectful way--that he has to step up his game and a pair of owners publically undermining the manager by telling the world they had tried to line up a replacement who's achieved nothing as a manager at club level, I despair.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby lakes10 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:45 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
lakes10 wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
lakes10 wrote:

Lakes, if you can't see the difference between a manager publically letting a player know--in a very gentle and respectful way--that he has to step up his game and a pair of owners publically undermining the manager by telling the world they had tried to line up a replacement who's achieved nothing as a manager at club level, I despair.

so undermining a player that has been out of the team and trying his best to get fit is ok then??
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:01 pm

What a surprise, Lakes on a wind up again. The hatred for the manager from some is such that everything he does now recieves the obligatory criticism. How about assessing each topic on its merits rather than looking for the most tenuous reason to find fault with Rafa.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:12 pm

I'm not a fan of Benitez but I think coming out admitting that certain players aren't performing up to standards is a sign of him finally realising something is going wrong. I can see where Lakes is coming from, it's not the Liverpool way to publically talk about our problems, we're a club who keeps any problems in house, but sometimes it's this sort of thing that gives players the kick up the ar.se they need.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Sabre » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:25 pm

redtrader74 wrote:What a surprise, Lakes on a wind up again. The hatred for the manager from some is such that everything he does now recieves the obligatory criticism. How about assessing each topic on its merits rather than looking for the most tenuous reason to find fault with Rafa.

+1

If he had defended Alonso and said that he's playing great and he's just being rotated, Lakes10 would be saying that Rafa is deluded, that he can't possibly say the players are doing well, etc, etc, etc.

I don't think this statement is out of order. He said something similar when mascherano came, he said something similar when Crouch was left out of the squad at the start of season, I simply understand this as a encouragement for the player.

It's funny some people want Mourinho if they can't accept an statement like this, which has been gentle and correct.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:46 pm

Sabre wrote:It's funny some people want Mourinho if they can't accept an statement like this, which has been gentle and correct.

I still want mourinho as the new Liverpool manager come next season...  :D
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:07 pm

The_Rock wrote:
Sabre wrote:It's funny some people want Mourinho if they can't accept an statement like this, which has been gentle and correct.

I still want mourinho as the new Liverpool manager come next season...  :D

i just can't deal with the idea of another five year plan

and i think rafa is doing a great job of turning are squad around from where he took it over

as far as xabi goes he has followed momo's form of amazing us when he turn up into consistent first season to a drop in form due to injury and masha being in his place. but class is permanent and if he works hard rafa will rotate the middle of the park to give them all enough games.
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:09 pm

I can't see a lot wrong with Rafa's words there.

Alonso is by far and away my favourite player, but a simple "If you want your place  back - fight for it" never did anyone any harm.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:13 pm

Lando_Griffin Posted on Feb. 04 2008,16:09
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alonso is by far and away my favourite player, but a simple "If you want your place  back - fight for it" never did anyone any harm.

I had heard that you was banned fella?

GBJH and Dav have been running roughshot over the true believers. Peewees back too, indeed its been dark times for the Jedi
burjennio

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:17 pm

burjennio wrote:
Lando_Griffin Posted on Feb. 04 2008,16:09
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had heard that you was banned fella?

GBJH and Dav have been running roughshot over the true believers. Peewees back too, indeed its been dark times for the Jedi

Worry not, young Jedi.

I am back:

:D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:18 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:I can't see a lot wrong with Rafa's words there.

Should have sold alonso instead of momo.  :nod

Igor runs for cover........

only messin lash , welcome back. :D
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:18 pm

WElcome back Lando!!!  :D  :D
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion