Xabi needs to step it up a gear: rafa

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:12 pm

s@int wrote:
Dundalk wrote:If someone comes in with 15 million in the summer I can see rafa taking it.

And that would be a mistake. He still has a lot to offer the team.

The problem is he is too good for the bench and not playing well enough for the first team. For me he hasn't played to his best since before the F.A. cup final. That doesn't mean he hasn't had good games, but consistantly well.

I would think if Rafa could get £15million for him he would take it, because we are short in other areas not because Xabi isn't good enough. Depends I suppose on how much faith Rafa has in Lucas.

I agree... I would sell him for 15 million... not because he's not good enough... but because we need to strengthen in other areas especially if we could sign mash in a permanent deal then SG, Masch, Lucas and a youngster maybe from the reserves would be enough...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:28 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:On Teamtalk just now, Barca are after Alonso if they don't get Hleb...

It MUST be true then !
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:30 pm

On the topic, I dont see the problems with Rafa.

Alonso is the best passer of a ball at the club, no doubt, but Mascharano and Gerrard have formed an impressive pairing and Lucas looks like an excellent aquisition and has not let anyone down.

Xabi will need to step it up if he is to get his place in the side back.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gracias King Rafa » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:37 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
straight in at the deep end against Juve in Turin.

The old Turin performance hey, as brilliant as it was its starting to look like a one off, everyone points that game out. Was it really that long ago he had such a brilliant game for us ?

What about the other players who have been sh!te? That havent been injured this season?

Unfortunately for Xabi, the one player who hasnt been s.hit for us this season and is easily our best performer this season is Mascherano. Its not hard to see why Rafa prefers the Argie now, Xabi has arguably harder competition for places than any other area of the pitch does.

The 3-1 at Anfield when he ran the show against the bitters a couple of years ago springs to mind.... :)
Gracias King Rafa

Postby whylongball? » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:43 pm

good players have to be consistently good...just look at SG, Torres, Cara, Mash, they seldom under perform. Alonso definitely need to get back to his previous level at least
whylongball?

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:58 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:On Teamtalk just now, Barca are after Alonso if they don't get Hleb...

Cos Alonso and Hleb play the same position  :D

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:00 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:On the topic, I dont see the problems with Rafa.

Alonso is the best passer of a ball at the club, no doubt, but Mascharano and Gerrard have formed an impressive pairing and Lucas looks like an excellent aquisition and has not let anyone down.

Xabi will need to step it up if he is to get his place in the side back.

I agree.

Alonso's been told by Rafa the very same thing he was told when Mascherano arrived. The arrival of Mascherano was followed by a statement of Rafa telling us that now we had two and not one player that could do the defensive midfielder role.

So right now Xabi's been told what he already should know, that there's competition and that he'll have to give his best, or step it up if he wants to be in the team. And I find that fair enough from Rafa.

I just hope this statement dispells the old bóllocks said by some members saying that Xabi plays because he's a Rafa fav. As you can see he must fight for his place like anyone else -- except the captain perhaps, who can't be sat down without a media crisis.

So, I don't see the problem. Xabi knows what he has to do, train better and give his best.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:09 pm

Agreed
There I was naively believing that having class competition for positions was a good thing.
Again I say it wasnt too long ago that people were whinging we didnt have enough depth to be able to compete.  Though in this day and age with Rafa about to be blamed for everything  including global warming perhaps its just best if Alonso packs his bags now
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:12 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:

It MUST be true then !

I ain't quoting it as Gospel mate, I simply posted an "observation".....but thank you for pointing out the fact that the WWW is awash with spurious rumour and fiction.
We didn't know that - honest  :suspect:
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:13 pm

laza wrote:Agreed
There I was naively believing that having class competition for positions was a good thing.
Again I say it wasnt too long ago that people were whinging we didnt have enough depth to be able to compete.  Though in this day and age with Rafa about to be blamed for everything  including global warming perhaps its just best if Alonso packs his bags now

So are you actually having a dig ar Rafa for saying this  ???
66-1112520797

Postby The_Rock » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:19 pm

Ciggy wrote:"But I don't think people are fair on Kuyt, he does a fantastic job for the team and the question is finding the balance between them. This game was good for Crouch and another game might be good for Kuyt.

If you need just one reason why rafa has to go....this is it.....  :no

If he really believes in what he is saying....he will never learn.

No rafa....another game might not be good for Kuyt as he will still $uck....  :angry:
Last edited by The_Rock on Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:27 pm

Bamaga man wrote:

Not at all, my god Bam your not actually going to defend Rafa are you  :D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:31 pm

laza wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

Not at all, my god Bam your not actually going to defend Rafa are you  :D

Hey fella I've critised him as you obviously seem to no, but there are times when I feel the players have let him down also.

I see no problem with what he said either.

I try to be objective and realistic.  :D
66-1112520797

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:34 pm

Think Xabi needs to wake up just for starters never mind "step it up gear" . He seems to be a shadow of the player he was in his first two seasons with us. Losing count of how often he's now getting caught in possession, he sometimes appears to be playing in a coma.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby LittleHobo » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:38 pm

he is going downhill rather than progressing

which is worrying really
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion