Xabi Alonso; the pass master - Sorely Missed ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:53 pm

Sabre wrote:No, Lando, do not change. We all know it's easier to dish a card to you than to other posters, because you get them as a man, and you don't moan and cry and put the boards upside down when you're dished a card.

I'm missing lots of good posters like Andy G as of late, hope we don't lose another one like Lando.

Class poster!

:hearts
66-1112520797

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:59 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
Sabre wrote:No, Lando, do not change. We all know it's easier to dish a card to you than to other posters, because you get them as a man, and you don't moan and cry and put the boards upside down when you're dished a card.

I'm missing lots of good posters like Andy G as of late, hope we don't lose another one like Lando.

Class poster!

:hearts

Don' go getting jealous Bamaga, I am sure Sabre loves you just as much, just in a different way (hopefully  :D  )
account deleted by request

Postby Scottbot » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:25 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:Their games are nothing alike, and if you actually look closely, you can see that Liverpool's tactics change quite a bit when Xabi isn't in the side.

Happy to hear your take on that mate...
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:55 pm

AB's Red Army wrote:
The_Rock wrote:Here goes......

I was wrong about Alonso.....

I thought Gerrard and Mascherano midfield combo will be the best in the world....But boy was i wide of the mark....

Alonso is the most complete central midfielder we have.... and it is evident that we are missing him. No one is taking control of our midfield at the moment..... Teams like birmingham, portsmouth & Wigan were winning the midfield battle against us...

Can't wait for Alonso to come back.

I think that the game against Chelsea last year, where we played Mascherano and Gerrard in the center, gave people the idea that in the long run it would be a great partnership.

It's not working at the moment, and imo perhaps Benitez should give Sissoko a run alongside Gerrard. Mascherano is not using the ball properly, he's getting caught in possession. His tackling is great but he's really playing poorly at the moment.

Gerrard seems lost and back to where he was last season.

Excuse me AB, where exactly do you think it doesn't work?

For me, the previous two games were not as good, probably because Gerrard was coming from an injury. Yesterday in the second half Mascherano bossed the distribution. Yes, we struggled when we hadn't the ball, if your attacking midfielder tries a play in the opposition box and they counter, you'll struggle if you have onlt one midfielder to hold the whole thing. Other than this disadjustments, I think they both played pretty well

I miss Alonso, but curiously more when he haven't the ball. Mascherano is more impressive in the tackle, but Alonso is better to read and abort opposition counters, IMHO. Anyhow, I'd like to hear the bits you didn't like yesterday.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AB's Red Army » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:04 pm

Sabre wrote:
AB's Red Army wrote:
The_Rock wrote:Here goes......

I was wrong about Alonso.....

I thought Gerrard and Mascherano midfield combo will be the best in the world....But boy was i wide of the mark....

Alonso is the most complete central midfielder we have.... and it is evident that we are missing him. No one is taking control of our midfield at the moment..... Teams like birmingham, portsmouth & Wigan were winning the midfield battle against us...

Can't wait for Alonso to come back.

I think that the game against Chelsea last year, where we played Mascherano and Gerrard in the center, gave people the idea that in the long run it would be a great partnership.

It's not working at the moment, and imo perhaps Benitez should give Sissoko a run alongside Gerrard. Mascherano is not using the ball properly, he's getting caught in possession. His tackling is great but he's really playing poorly at the moment.

Gerrard seems lost and back to where he was last season.

Excuse me AB, where exactly do you think it doesn't work?

For me, the previous two games were not as good, probably because Gerrard was coming from an injury. Yesterday in the second half Mascherano bossed the distribution. Yes, we struggled when we hadn't the ball, if your attacking midfielder tries a play in the opposition box and they counter, you'll struggle if you have onlt one midfielder to hold the whole thing. Other than this disadjustments, I think they both played pretty well

I miss Alonso, but curiously more when he haven't the ball. Mascherano is more impressive in the tackle, but Alonso is better to read and abort opposition counters, IMHO. Anyhow, I'd like to hear the bits you didn't like yesterday.

In the first half, he was frustrating imo. Lost the ball, or got caught in possession with it. When he had it, he didn't do much with it to be quite honest.

Like against Birmingham, he won tackles but in terms of passing creativity he really doesn't come to par in comparison to Alonso.

In the second half he picked it up and played better, but in general  I just don't see the chemistry between Mascherano and Gerrard.

Perhaps it's because Gerrard has his head up his ar$e once again, or because Mascherano is still suffering from the tournament in South America. Although he shouldn't considering that he played very little football in general last year.
DeviantArt: Click Here
AB's Red Army

Postby Scottbot » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:17 pm

It's natural for people to automatically analyse the performances of Mascherano in Alonso's abscence with Gerrard seen by all (and rightly so) as a given to start in the middle. However, it's probably worth paying closer to attention Gerrard's performances the past 3/4 games. He's done ok but i'm sure he would admit he's lacked the zip and evervescent energy we've all become accustomed to since picking up this toe injury. There were a few signs he was getting back to his rampaging best yesterday and hopefully this will continue in the coming weeks. It's pretty fair to say if Gerrard is somewhere close to his best it doesn't really matter who partners him be it Mascherano, Xabi or Sissoko.
Last edited by Scottbot on Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:58 am

I must say I think The Rock especially and A.B are too quick, in Rocks view too quick to jump fence about Mascha.\

Him and Gerrard havent even had a handful of games together yet, give it a chance to let it work. Dont forget Alonso last season was allowed the luxury of playing CM for most of the season, while constantly putting in under par performances.

Mascha I doubt will have the time to do that as Alonso will be back in the side, but surely its far to early to call for Alonso, stick with yer guns Rock, usually your initial thought is the correct one. :;):

I was only able to watch the second half and I thought Mashca didnt put a foot wrong, surprisingly the defence did look a little shaky at times, but I was happy enough with the performance, it wasnt as bad as some made out, and happy with the result.
66-1112520797

Postby redtrader74 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:03 am

Its a good thing in a way that Alonso is missing, just to show what we are missing, and as a reminder of his value to the side. Now i know he can get caught in possession sometimes, but that is to be expected when he see's so much of the ball. There are certain types of teams/games where some of his qualities are negated, (some of the derbies for example) but i suppose its the case for most players, and that is when having a quality squad should come to the fore.

A lot of our attacking stems from his intial pass, and he is always available 30 yards out when the attack breaks down to gather and start another.

I agree with those who say the current performances have alot to do with both Xabi and Agger being out together, they can carry the ball, and pass well.

I also find it strange that Masher is coming in for criticism, IMO he has been playing well, and tackling as though his life depended on it, the weakness in the middle is Gerrard, and has been since his injury, maybe he hasn't recovered, but theres a player that could do with a bit of rotation. Remember we performed and won well when he was out this season.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby ConnO'var » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:11 am

redtrader74 wrote:Its a good thing in a way that Alonso is missing, just to show what we are missing, and as a reminder of his value to the side. Now i know he can get caught in possession sometimes, but that is to be expected when he see's so much of the ball. There are certain types of teams/games where some of his qualities are negated, (some of the derbies for example) but i suppose its the case for most players, and that is when having a quality squad should come to the fore.

A lot of our attacking stems from his intial pass, and he is always available 30 yards out when the attack breaks down to gather and start another.

I agree with those who say the current performances have alot to do with both Xabi and Agger being out together, they can carry the ball, and pass well.

I also find it strange that Masher is coming in for criticism, IMO he has been playing well, and tackling as though his life depended on it, the weakness in the middle is Gerrard, and has been since his injury, maybe he hasn't recovered, but theres a player that could do with a bit of rotation. Remember we performed and won well when he was out this season.

Good post..... Agree completely (That's the reason it's a good post btw  :p  :D )

Root cause for the current impotent performances in attack is IMHO,

1. Agger missing
2. Gerrard not playing well
3. Alonso missing
ConnO'var

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:45 am

I think thats the only real cause for concern for our "impotent performances in attack.

It amazes me how people are quick to change their tunes around here (that wasnt aimed at you ConnOvar).

Once Gerrard gets back to full fitness/finding form I think him and Mascha will click, paired that with Rafa playing Torres for the upcoming fixtures and not sitting on the bench then I think the whole team will click and find their rythm.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby ConnO'var » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:03 am

Bamaga man wrote:It amazes me how people are quick to change their tunes around here (that wasnt aimed at you ConnOvar).

No worries mate.....

I think it goes a little deeper than that though. All these long balls being launched from the back pairing ain't helping either, mate. And that, I believe is down to Agger's absence.
ConnO'var

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:22 am

ConnO'var wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:It amazes me how people are quick to change their tunes around here (that wasnt aimed at you ConnOvar).

No worries mate.....

I think it goes a little deeper than that though. All these long balls being launched from the back pairing ain't helping either, mate. And that, I believe is down to Agger's absence.

I agree mate.

I always expect that though when Hyypia plays.  :(
66-1112520797

Postby Sabre » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:44 am

Bamaga man wrote:

I think thats the only real cause for concern for our "impotent performances in attack.

It amazes me how people are quick to change their tunes around here (that wasnt aimed at you ConnOvar).

It amazes me that it amazes you. Alonso's been here for a good while, Mascha came, and in 6 games people were already saying he was better.

If yesterday an offside wasn't given and they scored, the same players who were praised yesterday would have been uneffective...

Not a surprise that in 2 games then the people start to change opinions. Mascherano received the super praises when he arrived, no doubt he'll receive stick when he's more well known.

Anyhow, and despite I rate Mascherano's game,  we miss Alonso, it's safe to say that.  :nod
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:55 am

It amazes me that it amazes you. Alonso's been here for a good while, Mascha came, and in 6 games people were already saying he was better.

People ? Not me I said it after 7 games.

If yesterday an offside wasn't given and they scored, the same players who were praised yesterday would have been uneffective..

Who did get praised, I didnt single out anyone it was an okay performance, and like I said I'm just glad we got three points.

Not a surprise that in 2 games then the people start to change opinions. Mascherano received the super praises when he arrived, no doubt he'll receive stick when he's more well known

Of course i his form drops considerably like Alonso's did all of last season and remains in the side, but I doubt the latter will happen.

Anyhow, and despite I rate Mascherano's game,  we miss Alonso, it's safe to say that

Says you and TBH it doesnt bother me what you think Sabre. IMO its safe to say we'll miss Agger more so than Xabi as we have more than adequate cover or him.  :nod
66-1112520797

Postby Sabre » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:19 pm

Erm,just in case I wasn't clear enough, I wasn't having a dig at you, just stating the fact that opinions of players change often in the forum. Not that YOU do it. You want examples? Sissoko, Pennant, Alonso... all of them have been praised and have got stick. SO it shouldn't be a surprise for you to see people changing opinions, that's was all my point.
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion