Xabi Alonso; the pass master - Sorely Missed ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby adamnbarrett » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:22 am

I hate to bump my own threads

but......

With Alonso being back in the team I couldn't help but notice the improvement in the team performance as a whole.

We keep the ball so much better and look more of a threat offensively becayse his passing gives us something different.

He has the ability to find space and pick out a pass. IMO this seems to inspire the rest of the team and give them confidence.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:40 am

How good was he yesterday?
Havent half missed him he was great .

Gutted he went off injured anyone know how long hes out for?  :(
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:43 am

Ciggy wrote:How good was he yesterday?

i must have watched a different game, i think he was quite poor yesterday, i seem to be in the minority on that, but i do say it was to be expected as he hasn't played for a long time.

his injury i fear will be a long one, its about time someone looked into all these metatarsal injuries, they seem to be happening too often
112-1077774096

Postby whylongball? » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:11 am

peewee i think you expect more of him:)  (so do i btw)
He was far from his own standard, BUT, he could still pass around quite well and control the tempo.
I have my complaints about Alonso like being slow, average tackling but passing and controlling tempo is definitely his strong point.
I was very sure Arsenal couldnt come back till Alonso went off..so unlucky :veryangry
whylongball?

Postby Sabre » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:57 am

peewee wrote:
Ciggy wrote:How good was he yesterday?

i must have watched a different game, i think he was quite poor yesterday, i seem to be in the minority on that, but i do say it was to be expected as he hasn't played for a long time.

his injury i fear will be a long one, its about time someone looked into all these metatarsal injuries, they seem to be happening too often

I agree.

You saw a different game. Basically what you do is to remember his two missed tackles and a doubtful control to a bad pass and ignore everything he did.

If you could not tell the differences between what provided him and Arbeloa in the same position, yes, you saw a different game.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:07 am

If you could not tell the differences between what provided him and Arbeloa in the same position, yes, you saw a different game.

Thats unfair you cant compare Arbeloa to Alonso in that position, its not his own.

But you can compare Alonso to Mashca  :eyebrow
66-1112520797

Postby Sabre » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:13 am

Bamaga man wrote:

Thats unfair you cant compare Arbeloa to Alonso in that position, its not his own.

Yes, Mascherano was grateful for Alonso coming back to his unsung things, and Mascha was back to his standard (and very good) stuff.

I'm happy that with Alonso in the pitch, Mascherano was again the man that you fell in love with  :nod

Compare? For me ALonso is the better player comparing with Mascherano, we've done that before. The fact that when Mascherano struggled he hadn't a brigade on his back, doesn't mean that the criticism that Alonso received was fair nor right.
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:19 am

I'm happy that with Alonso in the pitch, Mascherano was again the man that you fell in love with

I didnt "fall in love" with him, for me he simply was our best player on Sunday.

And Alonso did play well, but Alonso was grateful to have Mascha hussle and hurry and break up play, which helped the Spainard out.

When we're talking of Love, we all know why you love Alonso.  :nod
66-1112520797

Postby Sabre » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:27 am

Bamaga man wrote:
I'm happy that with Alonso in the pitch, Mascherano was again the man that you fell in love with

I didnt "fall in love" with him, for me he simply was our best player on Sunday.

And Alonso did play well, but Alonso was grateful to have Mascha hussle and hurry and break up play, which helped the Spainard out.

When we're talking of Love, we all know why you love Alonso.  :nod

Don't get me wrong, I also "fell in love" with Mascherano -- in a football way, it wasn't meant as saying you're biased.

The difference between you and me is that I value both players a lot, meanwhile you have more doubts about ALonso's game. But I'm too in love of the game Mascherano did yesterday. He was...outstanding would be the word.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:49 am

Sabre wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

Yes, Mascherano was grateful for Alonso coming back to his unsung things, and Mascha was back to his standard (and very good) stuff.

I'm happy that with Alonso in the pitch, Mascherano was again the man that you fell in love with  :nod

Compare? For me ALonso is the better player comparing with Mascherano, we've done that before. The fact that when Mascherano struggled he hadn't a brigade on his back, doesn't mean that the criticism that Alonso received was fair nor right.

I don't want to get involved in the usual Alonso/Mascher arguement as I like them both, but when was the last time Alonso put in a man of the match type performance? Mascherano has been M.O.M. in about half the games since he came, and when you consider Gerrard is in the mix its not a bad achievement.

Alonso has not hit his best form for over 12months now, and I think thats one of the reasons we have struggled more than we should.

Two great players but one is playing like a great player, the other (Alonso) is not playing to the standard we hope/expect.
account deleted by request

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:52 am

s@int wrote:
Sabre wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

I don't want to get involved in the usual Alonso/Mascher arguement as I like them both, but when was the last time Alonso put in a man of the match type performance? Mascherano has been M.O.M. in about half the games since he came, and when you consider Gerrard is in the mix its not a bad achievement.

Alonso has not hit his best form for over 12months now, and I think thats one of the reasons we have struggled more than we should.

Two great players but one is playing like a great player, the other (Alonso) is not playing to the standard we hope/expect.

I dont want to get into this debate again, it does my t.its in like rotation.

I think Alonso is a great player, on his day and he played well on Sunday. It is good to have him back.

But I agree with your post their S@int.

Edit: I want a score for saying that.  :D
66-1112520797

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:55 am

peewee not sure what game you watched mate but i thought Alonso was brilliant yesterday and like Adam said offensivley we looked more of a threat. His passing was great he sees things early and switches play so effortlessly and quickly it makes it hard for the opposition to get into defensive positions.
Mascherano was also quality, and i really think he benefited having Alonso alongside him, who doesnt go marauding all over the place like Gerrard. Until the two of them where injured i thought although Arsenal had loads of possesion we looked more dangerous on the counter and more likely to add a second.
Really hope Alonso's injury isnt as bad as feared because him coming back yesterday made a huge difference imo.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:56 am

Bamaga man wrote:
s@int wrote:
Sabre wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

I dont want to get into this debate again, it does my t.its in like rotation.

I think Alonso is a great player, on his day and he played well on Sunday. It is good to have him back.

But I agree with your post their S@int.

Edit: I want a score for saying that.  :D

Its in the post mate  :D

Postby Sabre » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:59 am

s@int wrote:
Sabre wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

Well, the criteria for MOM is one I'd like to know how is measured, because quite simply I don't know how they decide who's the man of the match.

But Alonso has never been and never will be the kind of player you can single out in a match. He's a footballer that makes other footballers playing better. There are things that stats cannot measure, a "sucessful pass" in a stat means the pass that arrived the destination, but that stat will never measure the football quality, the sense and purpose of that pass.

Alonso has a great quality in his passing, and he's tall enough is a good header and positions well enough to make the holding midfielder role. When his team mates are not forced to do this ungrateful work, they can give their best. Xabi at his best, helps the team and other team mates to be MOM.
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:17 am

I think they usually get some ex-player to pick it Sabre, the point I was making was Maschers form has been very good, Alonso's less so for quite a while now. We need them both at the top of their game.

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion