Xabi Alonso; the pass master - Sorely Missed ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:59 pm

Sabre wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:Well, I'd just like to add as good as Alonso is IMHO he'd make no difference in our current situation. IMO he wouldnt help the team play much better, infact its probably better for him that he's not playing right now, because like his eleven teamates taking the field at the mo, his own form will probably be dragged down to.

Its much easier for a player to come back into a 'Full of confidence team' where their on a winning streak. I dont think Xabi's got the kind of game to pull us out of a rut (so to speak) TBH, only the likes of Gerrard and possibly Torres have at LFC I think.

:laugh:

Look at how poor the distribution from the back is since Alonso(including Agger) has been since they were out; then tell me we don't miss him. Come on Bam - its pretty obvious were the Black hole lies in the teams setup atm.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:29 pm

red37 wrote:
Sabre wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:Well, I'd just like to add as good as Alonso is IMHO he'd make no difference in our current situation. IMO he wouldnt help the team play much better, infact its probably better for him that he's not playing right now, because like his eleven teamates taking the field at the mo, his own form will probably be dragged down to.

Its much easier for a player to come back into a 'Full of confidence team' where their on a winning streak. I dont think Xabi's got the kind of game to pull us out of a rut (so to speak) TBH, only the likes of Gerrard and possibly Torres have at LFC I think.

:laugh:

Look at how poor the distribution from the back is since Alonso(including Agger) has been since they were out; then tell me we don't miss him. Come on Bam - its pretty obvious were the Black hole lies in the teams setup atm.

Oh, I wasn't laughing at that.

I laughed because I thought Bamaga man wanted to have a lively discussion on Alonso now there's quiet days due to the international break and we're all waiting the forum.

The bit he says about being easier to play in a team full of confidence is true. But is that confidence achieved by a single player? I don't think so. Sometimes you have a team losing games, and then, playing badly, they get a result. That result, and not a specific player is very important to remove anxiety and might bring you back in confidence.

The bit about being better for Alonso not to play, is something I don't get, quite honestly. In fact, I like Xabi most not for his hollywood passes but for tiny little services he does to the team (covers, headers coming from the oppo defence and well directed to a team mate, things like that). Plus, he'd help the more compatible Gerrard and mascherano to be more fresh.

You can argue that Mascherano is better if you will, but definitely cannot say it's better off for Alonso not to play right now.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:50 pm

Who knows mate, maybe your right or maybe your wrong but in the end he is a key player who is needed in important games. He offers creativity, passing, vision, etc...

The last statement is that I have to disagree with, Alonso can single handedly pull us from the rut in different types of games. Fulham away for example in 2005, Alonso ran the show when he came on in the 2nd half, he took us from being 2-0 down to 4-2 up. The derby in 2007, when Gerrard got sent off, Alonso once again eased our fears by producing a breathtaking midfield display. He has the quality to just destroy oppositions with his passes(when ofcourse he plays his best).
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:04 am

Sorry Metalhead and Red37, for me at the moment its going to take a lot more than a few neat passes to put the team back on track. Even so Alonso's passing has been quite poor of late anyway.

I know what your saying Red about the ball being played out from deep and what have you. But thats where I think we're missing Agger more, Hyypia tends to pump it long, Sami's own game of late has been poor. For me if Agger were back we'd push up higher, possibly defend better and play the ball out more, lets not forget Mascha does come short too and pick up the ball, so for me in our current "slump" Xabi wouldnt make a big difference, like I said before he'd probably be another player coming under critisism like others at the moment.
66-1112520797

Postby Sabre » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:36 am

Bamaga man wrote:Sorry Metalhead and Red37, for me at the moment its going to take a lot more than a few neat passes to put the team back on track. Even so Alonso's passing has been quite poor of late anyway.

I know what your saying Red about the ball being played out from deep and what have you. But thats where I think we're missing Agger more, Hyypia tends to pump it long, Sami's own game of late has been poor. For me if Agger were back we'd push up higher, possibly defend better and play the ball out more, lets not forget Mascha does come short too and pick up the ball, so for me in our current "slump" Xabi wouldnt make a big difference, like I said before he'd probably be another player coming under critisism like others at the moment.

:D  :D
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:55 am

Sabre wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:Sorry Metalhead and Red37, for me at the moment its going to take a lot more than a few neat passes to put the team back on track. Even so Alonso's passing has been quite poor of late anyway.

True .......... No ?  :D
66-1112520797

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:03 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
Sabre wrote:

True .........yes   :nod

account deleted by request

Postby Sabre » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:27 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
Sabre wrote:

Absolutely true! the highlighted text sums it up.

It's true that he'd be another player coming under criticism. In fact, he's being criticised before he's even playing. Knowing beforehand how will be the impact of a player when he comes back shows a prediction ability that well, it's... it's...

Amazing!  :D
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:50 pm

Sabre wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
Sabre wrote:

Absolutely true! the highlighted text sums it up.

It's true that he'd be another player coming under criticism. In fact, he's being criticised before he's even playing. Knowing beforehand how will be the impact of a player when he comes back shows a prediction ability that well, it's... it's...

Amazing!  :D

Not really amazing just far sighted, its a bit like when we look at players that Liverpool are interested in , some we think will be a success others we think will struggle. I was lucky(or unlucky) enough to be right about Bellamy, I was wrong (up to now ) about Kuyt. Alonso coming back now probably wouldn't be enough in and of its self to get us playing better IMHO. Alonso and Agger returning just might be. 

We need something to kickstart our season again, a win against Everton might just do it.

I remember you saying that Owen was better than Torres at EVERY aspect of the game. Knowing beforehand how will be the impact of a player before he signs, its.... its.....

Amazing  :D

Postby Sabre » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:29 pm

s@int wrote:I remember you saying that Owen was better than Torres at EVERY aspect of the game. Knowing beforehand how will be the impact of a player before he signs, its.... its.....

Yes, but when you have seen both players playing in Spain it's not amazing prediction, it's a comparison.

Predictions are tough. I got it wrong with Gonzalez and Morientes, so did other respected members with the impact of Kuyt. In fact, even the managers have a tough job being spot on in every signings, but as I've said, that's a comparison between two players.

And Owen the scouser who played for Madrid  and the one who played for Liverpool (not the one in Newcastle that I don't know how he is right now), was a better finnisher, made more clever runs, had a better control, a quicker turn and was simply better than Torres, the Spaniard. In fact, we the Spaniards haven't got a quality striker as Owen in the last 30 years, not even Villa is a better player than Owen at his best.

Maybe I overrate Owen? maybe, but I was impressed by that lad!
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:40 pm

Sabre wrote:
s@int wrote:I remember you saying that Owen was better than Torres at EVERY aspect of the game. Knowing beforehand how will be the impact of a player before he signs, its.... its.....

Yes, but when you have seen both players playing in Spain it's not amazing prediction, it's a comparison.

Predictions are tough. I got it wrong with Gonzalez and Morientes, so did other respected members with the impact of Kuyt. In fact, even the managers have a tough job being spot on in every signings, but as I've said, that's a comparison between two players.

And Owen the scouser who played for Madrid  and the one who played for Liverpool (not the one in Newcastle that I don't know how he is right now), was a better finnisher, made more clever runs, had a better control, a quicker turn and was simply better than Torres, the Spaniard. In fact, we the Spaniards haven't got a quality striker as Owen in the last 30 years, not even Villa is a better player than Owen at his best.

Maybe I overrate Owen? maybe, but I was impressed by that lad!

I was trying to be kind mate, maybe this quote of yours is more of a prediction?

No no no no no no no no no no. No.

He has abilities of both Cisse and Luis Garcia all together.

He's fast and unnaccurate like Cisse, he's a ball waster like Luis Garcia.

Nicknamed "El niño" (The Kid), he appeared at a very early age in difficult times for Atletico Madrid. He's fast, and he dribbles and he scored a bunch of goals that year. Atletico Madrid is a big club, and soon enough they thought they had a jewell and that they should avoid at all costs Real Madrid or any other would sign up Torres.

All Atletico de Madrid started to work for Torres, and he made decent numbers... but numbers must be seen with a closer look, since he kicks every single penalty Atletico Madrid throws. Without those goals, his numbers wouldn't be outstanding whatsoever.

Strong points: fast and dribbler.

Weak points: bad teamwork, bad passer, and bad finnisher, which makes his dribbling ability useless.

You are going to read nothing of this if you search in google, there's lots of hype about this player, he appears in PC games, and all that. ]But my personal view is that he wouldn't make it here. He's the kind of player that in *Spain* struggles for a ball, he falls, and keeps sit down moaning to the ref. In England things could only get worse in that sense.

Definitely expensive, overrated player. Thumbs down
Last edited by account deleted by request on Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Sabre » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:55 pm

You've never tried to be too nice with me S@int but anyhow, yes, that's my words and I do not regret it.

The prediction part is always tricky. I thought Morientes would be better suited, and I saw Torres doing all that moanings, and failing a lot of chances. His numbers backed this words, and the fact that his team with a stronger squad than most Spanish teams, didn't make it to the UEFA. So, basically, with all that ingredients I could do nothing else but thinking that paying a lot of money for him was risky, at the least. Because you lot wanted a striker >20 goals, and he hardly scored more than 15 even throwing the penalties.

Anyhow, good you have opened the practice of recovering old posts, I have good memory aswell and I'll have my fun aswell from now on :laugh:

About making it here, we'll see at the end of the season. Alonso was the best of the best when he came unexperienced, and now there are posters like Bamaga denying his influence in the team... things change.
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:02 pm

Sabre wrote:You've never tried to be too nice with me S@int but anyhow, yes, that's my words and I do not regret it.

The prediction part is always tricky. I thought Morientes would be better suited, and I saw Torres doing all that moanings, and failing a lot of chances. His numbers backed this words, and the fact that his team with a stronger squad than most Spanish teams, didn't make it to the UEFA. So, basically, with all that ingredients I could do nothing else but thinking that paying a lot of money for him was risky, at the least. Because you lot wanted a striker >20 goals, and he hardly scored more than 15 even throwing the penalties.

Anyhow, good you have opened the practice of recovering old posts, I have good memory aswell and I'll have my fun aswell from now on :laugh:

About making it here, we'll see at the end of the season. Alonso was the best of the best when he came unexperienced, and now there are posters like Bamaga denying his influence in the team... things change.

I don't think Bamaga was denying Alonso's influence on the team, just saying that he thinks it will take more than Alonso to get us back up and running.

I am always kind to you Sabre

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:09 pm

Alonso for me is a must in the first 11 at Liverpool.  People always talk about his passing, butthere is so much more to his game, he does his fair share of tackling and he allows Gerrard to move forward with confidence.

I would like to see him take more freekicks and corners, I dont understand why Gerrard takes corners.. he is cr@p at them.

He hasn't set the world alight this season, but I think that is more to do with the fact th eteam is not playing particulary well at the moment.  Once he is back in the team I think we will see a more confident Liverpool display. 

Lets hope it is this weekend!
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Sabre » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:37 pm

Sorry S@int, it took me 12 mins to write a decent post in a decent english for my standards, then the browser blocked, and I lost all the content. I feel depressed now :D but I'll come back to Bamaga's post later.

I think that he, and many of us, when he does assesments about our players he focuses on when we have the ball, and IMHO, Alonso is important aswell when we don't have it.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion