Xabi alonso - Talks about liverpool  in san sebastian

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Wed May 17, 2006 4:20 pm

Xabi Alonso is here in San Sebastian this days, to receive an award, as the best player ever in the Donosti Cup. Donosti Cup is an international summer competition, in which lads of 8 to 14 years all over the world compete. Xabi Alonso, and many primera players have been in this compo.

Xabi Alonso is going to buy stocks of Real Sociedad too, showing the commitment to his old little club.

But most importantly for you, Xabi talks about Liverpool, in an interview that I'll translate the best I can.

Source www.diariovasco.com
Jornalist Iñaki Izquierdo

- Congratulations for the FA cup win.

Thank you, it was a final that was a slope up from the very beginning (slope up=difficult). West Ham was winning first 2-0 and then 3-2, but in the last minute Gerrard scored a Golazo (superb goal) when all seemed to be lost.

You came back against Milan, you came back against West Ham, the psychologist of Liverpool must be very good? (the irony is based in that many local pundits say that RS problems are mind problems)

- (laughs). We don't have psychologist. There's no secrets. Our team is very strong mentally, that's all. If you are not, it's difficult to be competitive. In the first rounds of the FA cup we were losing against Luton too, and we came back in a half an  hour. Where as other teams sink when they're losing, Liverpool is a team that fights even more when the score is against us, we don't like losing.

- Luis Aragonés is going to use a psychologist in the world cup, it seems that this aspect of the game is more important this days?

The mind is very important part in football and overall, sport.
No matter how good you are, if your mind is not in order, your form won't be the best. So far in football tactical, phisical and technical aspects have been worked, but not that much the mental aspect (so it seems he agrees that working this aspect is important, yet he doesn't seem to say Liverpool needs to work it).

In two years Liverpool have won 3 titles, including the Champions league. That's a lot, no?

It was hard to imagine when I arrived that in such a little period I was going to win so many titles, but things just went perfect. And we could have win a couple of titles more, since we lost two finals, the Carling Cup and Intercontinental Cup.

But the ones you've won are very important

What we had to live in Istambul, and the welcome back in Liverpool, is something I won't forget in my whole life. The European SuperCup means you're the best team on the continent, and the F.A cup has lots of relevance in the UK: The BBC connects live from 10.00 am, and there are some traditions surrounding this game that make it special. Winning the FA cup is very important

Now you only have to win the League, that title that you were so close to win back in Spain

That season is one I won't ever forget. It's a thorn that I have nailed in my heart, and I don't know I will be able to remove it some day. To be honest I expect to win the League with Liverpool, but winning it with a smaller local club, has no comparison, as it is tougher.

What's the balance you make of this your second season ?

It's been a very interesting year for me. I've played 56 games with Liverpool, plus the ones of the Spanish Squad, and the world cup, I'll be playing 65 more or less. I had never played such an amount of games, and it has been a very interesting experience of learning for the future.

How did you cope with so many games?

Pretty well. I was prepared phisically and mentally for that, and it has been easier than expected. The most important thing is to prepare every match with care, and forget about the games you have to play in the future.

Despite not winning the CL this year, it seems as if Liverpool are back to be again one of the the top european clubs

We've been brilliant in the league. We've summed 82 points, a number that wasn't achieved by the club since 18 years ago, and back then it meant a league title. In 34 official matches we've got a clean sheet. The official club record is 35 clean sheets... In November we chained a streak of 11 consecutive wins, and we've finished the league winning the last 10 games. Another important fact is that we ended the last season 37 points behind Chelsea, and this season 9 points behind, we're getting closer.

Are you ready know to win the Premier to Chelsea?

I think so, yes. This season Chelsea won the first 10 games of the premier and that gave them quietness and a comfortable points difference. I think that last season we were two steps behind them, and this season we were just one step behind. The next season I hope we'll step up and win the Premiership.

Yet another summer, your name sounds in Bernabeu (Madrid

I'm very quiet, at the moment. I know what's my situation in Liverpool and how this rumour thingy works. I'm very happy in England, and I expect no less than fulfilling the 3 years of contract I still have in Liverpool. (The lad says it all, if Alonso is to be sold, it's only if Parry wants to).

You'll have another challenge next month in Germany

To play a world cup is one of the bigger things that any player may dream of. I was 2 years ago in Portugal, but it's not quite the same. I have lots of illusion put in Germany.

Your father already played a World cup for Spain  ...

It's not an easy circumstance that a dad and a son play a world cup. I remind his chatters about how they lived it and prepared it, but to be honest, not that they were succesful (1982 Spanish World Cup, Spain didn't reach the best 16)

Will Spain break his curse in the world cups?

The main favourite is Brazil. They could make two squads to play the world cup and both of them would be tough to beat.
Behind them there are a bunch of good squads that can win to anyone in a good day, and I think we're among those.

Behind Brazil, which squads would you take into account

Argentina has a superb team, if you look at the 23 men they bring, they're incredible. In England there's lots of expectation surrounding their team, too...

And what will be the surprise?

Ivory coast. They're in the group of the death with Holland, Argentina and Serbia, but if he gets through that, they can reach far.

And last, who will be your sucessor winning the champions, Barcelona or Arsenal?

If we attend to the trajectory in liga and champions, Barcelona are favourites, but in a one game final everything can happen. Arsenal will try to pack together in defence and try to use Henry's constant danger. IMO, if Barcelona manages to stop Henry, they'll have half the final won.

-------------

The interview goes after that about Real Sociedad situation, but I don't think it's relevant for you.

Well I hope it's interesting, specially for those of you who are always afraid of Madrid bids on Liverpool players! The lad has a bright future. A red future.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed May 17, 2006 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed May 17, 2006 4:24 pm

Our man in Spain does it again!  Cheers Sabre!
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby alessandromagno » Wed May 17, 2006 4:28 pm

That's very interesting, Sabre. Thanks a lot for the translation.
ALESSANDRO
alessandromagno
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed May 17, 2006 4:33 pm

Cheers senior Sabre nice one  :cool:

What we had to live in Istanbul, and the welcome back in Liverpool, is something I won't forget in my whole life. Neither will I lad neither will I  :love:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Wed May 17, 2006 4:35 pm

Cheers Sabre,thanks for the translation.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed May 17, 2006 4:39 pm

Great post Sabre. Thanks
account deleted by request

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed May 17, 2006 4:41 pm

I sincerely hope that he stays more than the 3 remaining years on his deal.

The lad is utter class to the core.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Wed May 17, 2006 4:44 pm

thanks buddy
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Wed May 17, 2006 4:48 pm

Excellent stuff sabre. Cheers amigo
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby alessandromagno » Wed May 17, 2006 5:09 pm

As long as Rafa's here, I think Xabi will want to stay too.
ALESSANDRO
alessandromagno
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed May 17, 2006 5:42 pm

Nice to hear that he's so optomistic and committed. Bring on 06/07.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed May 17, 2006 5:52 pm

Bring on 06/07.

Watch out 06/07. I don't know you, but I'm afraid a bit of the impact of the world cup in our players. There are many statistics that say that after world cup seasons are not easy for the players that take part on it, as they apparently are more prone to muscle injuries, and they can't have proper rest.

Having players in the world cup is good for the economy and image of the club, undoubtly, but I'm a bit concerned of it's impact in Gerrard and Alonso specially. I hope I'm wrong! and everything goes ok, next season!!
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joko » Wed May 17, 2006 5:54 pm

reading it soon, but cheers first for the translation, my freind! :;):
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby Archetype » Wed May 17, 2006 6:09 pm

Great interview, Xabi is utter class! I hope he stays much longer than 3 years. FOR HIS WHOLE CAREER! :D
Archetype

Postby H_K_LFC » Wed May 17, 2006 10:16 pm

Cheers Sabre :cool:
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion