Xabi alonso - Should be a set piece taker

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby metalhead » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:45 pm

After watching Liverpool win Everton today, i realised that Alonso is a much better set piece taker than Gerrard.

He made the first goal and created Hyppia's disallowed goal. i think Rafa should make Alonso take the corners from now on, let Gerrard outside the box so he can get any rebounds from the corner to strike it into the goal! he is an expert with these stuff, gerrard. Look 3 years ago in the UEFA cup against Levski Sofia(i think) Gerrard scored a goal from a corner after he got the rebound, or Gerrard's goal against Chelsea at anfield last september from the corner. Another, if you guys remember is against West Ham in 2002/2003 season, where Gerrard striked a beautifully goal from a set piece.

Let Alonso take the set piece and give gerrard more freedom to strike the rebound to the net.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:58 pm

The only problem I have with that is, Gerrard happens to be a sublime crosser of the ball, where as Xabi doesn't excell as much with crosses like Gerrard does. I suppose it's worth a try but I don't think it will do any good.
48-1119859832

Postby metalhead » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:06 pm

I dunno, but it seemed today that Alonso provided a threat in set pieces, especially in corners.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:10 pm

Xabi's always a threat on the ball, I don't think there's any harm in giving Alonso the corner responsibilities. I mean it's not like we aren't scoring and steam-rolling our way thru the opposition. 18 goals in 4 games says it all. :laugh:
48-1119859832

Postby metalhead » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:15 pm

true!! the record is good right now  :D

but i believe that if we can put Gerrard at the edge of the area in set pieces he can provide a much larger threat
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:30 pm

They are both very good passers of the ball. This is probably why both players excel when taking free kick, corners etc. At the moment I prefer alonso's because he whips them in with pace whereas Gerrard floats them in and when they are floated in they are easier to deal with defensively. As we saw today. IMO Gerrard gets tempted too much to play the short option to finnan but today alonso waved finnan away when he offered the short option.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:34 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:They are both very good passers of the ball. This is probably why both players excel when taking free kick, corners etc. At the moment I prefer alonso's because he whips them in with pace whereas Gerrard floats them in and when they are floated in they are easier to deal with defensively. As we saw today. IMO Gerrard gets tempted too much to play the short option to finnan but today alonso waved finnan away when he offered the short option.

Agree Adam, I would like to see Gerrard more involving taking the rebound and scoring goals because he can really be a threat in set pieces.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kukilon » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:46 pm

Gerrard is a bigger threat around the penalty area so I would rather have Alonso take corners etc. I'm not a big fan om the short corners either.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby NiftyNeil » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:32 am

I've been calling for Alonso to take corners all season. Gerrard has frustrated me  with his poor corner taking. A lot of corners are played short, and he often struggles to beat the first man when trying to get it into the box.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby onizukaeikichi » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:03 am

IMO gerrard's corners most of them are awful, Alonso apparently did better today and if he is consistent then he should be the set piece taker
onizukaeikichi

Postby The_Rock » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:17 am

yeah...i concur  :D

i prefer gerrard to be around the box during corners to hit those piledrivers (same as riise).
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Flashard » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:39 am

Hey what a post, being able two talk about to quality players and weather one or the other takes set plays. personally who cares, for me as long as one or the other takes them and they work well on training ground. Then we all know that there is going to be a quality ball played in and that there is going to be quality player in the danger area to finish it off:D

Both can take them what a problem we have.:)
Flashard

Postby redsince2001 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:10 pm

redsince2001
LFC Advanced Member

Group: LFC Members

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
herculian performance !! specially by Alonso..he put on a football clinic tonight ,his delivery was  superb ,4m now on he should be the one managing our desd ball situations

posted that yest,. as u can see.Totally agree Alonso 2 take free kicks and corners 4m now on.

p.s   should make this a poll
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby sophe_lfc_4_lyf » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:21 pm

yer i agree.. he did very well wivout gerrard.. the whole team did.. we lost our captain but we still belived we cud win it.. even wiv 1 man down! n we was 2 goals up wiv 1 man down :;):  well dun liverpool

YNWA.. Drummerphil_[*]
sophe_lfc_4_lyf
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:23 pm

I mentioned last year that Alonso is a very good set piece taker. Steven Gerrard is also good, but Alonso is less predictable, he varies the type of ball he put in much more than Gerrard. He varies the pace and where it is going to end up, but it always dangerous.

Also Gerrard is a very good attacking header of the ball and would be so useful to have in the box, I think he could get 5 goals in a season from headers if he wasn’t taking the set pieces and we had someone to deliver good balls in to the box.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion