Xabi alonso - Should be a set piece taker

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:27 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:Also Gerrard is a very good attacking header of the ball and would be so useful to have in the box, I think he could get 5 goals in a season from headers if he wasn’t taking the set pieces and we had someone to deliver good balls in to the box.

i mentioned this a few weeks back after watching the treble video. that season he scored 3 or 4 header from set pieces which were delivered by gary mcallister. he's a very underrated header of the ball.

i personally think that finnan should be used to take corners more.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:30 pm

Finnan is similar to Gerrard in that his delivery seems to be to predictable, a bit like his crossing. I would also like to see Riise with an in swinging corner once in a while.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sophe_lfc_4_lyf » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:36 pm

yer.. but gerrard is gud at takin them..

YNWA.. Drummerphil_[*]
sophe_lfc_4_lyf
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby inglis5 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:36 pm

Good idea but I think there is more to it than simply who takes the kick. You have to consider the tactical changes necessary to have Xabi taking the corners. At the minute, Xabi not only stays on the edge of the area to pose a goal threat, he also has defensive responsibilities. Xabi stays there because he is able to read the game and neutralise any potential counter attacks.... (Or maybe I'm over analysing :) )

I do agree that Alonso is better with a dead ball and that Gerrard's delivery from free kicks and corners has been disappointing.
inglis5

Postby Hotrod » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:16 pm

Good shout I however think Gerrard would not have it. He loves takin all the corners and set peices specially at home, maybe its just me or maybe its the fans but Xavi does nt put up much of a fight when it comes to a free kick he wud like to take but thats prob a stupid point. Just to add I think Xavi is just as effective as Gerrard at waiting ont he edge of the box for a corners remmeber west ham, villa and sunderland all goals form way outside da box he can sttrikem as well, have to remmber riise is also dangerous from there i have seen gerrard try and hit him form a few corners wen is he gonna get one of those
"GUYVER"
Hotrod

Postby 2520years » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:20 pm

Just give them to Riise and tell him to hit it as hard as he can...watch that wall crumble!
:D
My earliest memory.
2520years

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion