Wud we sell sissoko.....hell no!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby laurence_2k2 » Wed May 16, 2007 5:21 pm

sorry had to start another topic on this it just annoyed me that this was even mentioned!Momo was the best thing since sliced bread until he got his injury during last season..i rem ppl sayin hes the new 'Vieira' etc....just cause the boy didnt have a great finish to last season ppl talk about selling up?Nonsense to me..he was our best young prospect few months back,we had the cover in midfield(mascherano) when momo's game dropped so i think when he gets his chance next season he will be back hungrier than ever!!!Were not a selling club!
The Rafalution Continues!
laurence_2k2

Postby LFC2007 » Wed May 16, 2007 6:04 pm

I agree with most of that, people seem to have short memories.

This guy gives us an option that neither Mascherano, Alonso or Gerrard give us. People jump on the 'lets sell him' bandwagon as soon as he dipped in form and Mascherano came in. He lacks a classy touch and his distribution can be very poor but nobody can match his destructive drive across the middle of the park when breaking up attacks. That option is something we will need next year, if not in every game, certainly in some.
LFC2007

Postby Sabre » Wed May 16, 2007 8:23 pm

I never said he was the new Patrick Viera, but I'll never say he hasn't done a decent job in LFC neither.

I think he has improved his tackling and doesn't do terrible tackles that costed yellows any more. He's a tough worker and without the ball he's a constant nuisance for the holding midfielders of the opposition. He covers lots of Space. Despite his last appearances were not good at all, the good work he did before his last injury must not be forgotten.

He doesn't only lack a classy touch, if you look how he runs with the ball every touch he gives to the ball sends it too far, it's quite easy to make a winner tackle to Sissoko, just the opposite that to Gerrard that chances are that you fail the tackle or you make a foul.His ball control isn't good at all. I think Mascherano will replace him well when ball conduction is needed.

What Mascherano could not cover perhaps is the amount of field Sissoko does... in MANY games that work was very important.

Under normal circunstances, I'd say he should end his contract in LFC. But if a big team like Juventus would come with a decent sum of money... I'd get it. I stress the "important" sum of money.

With the Brazilian guy, Mascherano, Alonso and Gerrard, he wouldn't have much continuous games, and I think Sissoko is a player that plays better as he gets games in his pocket.

In a nutshell, if he stays I'm happy, if he goes for a good sum that will help to buy another better player, I'd be happy aswell. Good professional, anyhow.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Wed May 16, 2007 8:25 pm

He lacks more than a classy touch...
His touch is non-existant. He hasn't learned how to make a 5 yard pass yet after 2 years. he is still way too reckless in many challenges.

He is not a defensive midfielder at all. Can't protect the back 4
and is a player you can't pass the ball to without risking possesion. His offensive abilites are non-existant. Can't head, can't shot, can't dribble, can't pass, has no creativity, got poor techique, zero vision and just looses possesion when running at the defense.

At home u just can't use him cause we need to be on the attack the whole game trying to break down opponents and if he is involved the play will break down. He can't be used vs mid-low table team who set out to defend cause once again we need to be creative and break down oppenent with attacking plays. This mean the only games he is reasonably effective is vs top teams away from home who are very skilled with the ball and uses the midfield to start the attack.

That means maybe 4-5 away games in the league and another 4-5 games in the CL and FA cup.
Otherwise I prefer any of the other of the midfielders we have who all can play in a set position and make plays and passes.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Wed May 16, 2007 8:27 pm

While I agree with LFC's sentiments regarding Momo I do believe that he will be sold this summer. It does seem to be a case that one of our central midfield players will be sold. When you consider we've now got Gerrard, Alonso, Masha, Momo and the new kid Lucas that Rafa believes will be part of the first team setup right from the start next season.

Out of that list naturally Gerrard & Lucas (having just arrived) aren't going to be sold.

Mash is either here for the whole of next season on loan or beyond if we have signed (which nobody seems to be able to confirm).

We've all heard the rumours and conspiracy theories about Alonso either being exchanged or sold, yet I really can't see him leaving unless he asks to. Rafa has clearly stated in the press that Xabi is an integral part of his team. He has just had his poorest season in a liverpool shirt but with his quality you just don't ditch that without having a damn good reason.

That leaves Momo. I like many others was impressed by his battling qualities that we saw last season (05/06) and at times in the season just gone. Has he suffered 'second season syndrome?' Yes it seems so, but just how much  of that is down to the still troublesome eye injury? we don't know. He showed his qualities at their best in the Nou camp and at anfield against Barca but since then his form has dipped alarmingly. It's not just been a case like Alonso were you can still see the quality coming through but things just aren't clicking. No, this has been alot worse IMO, his basic, basic footballing skills have been nothing short of terrible. His passing even over short distances has been less than ordinary, his first touch and general ball control has looked like an alien concept to him at times and has left many asking whether his overall game is upto Liverpool Football Clubs standards.

This isn't a rant against Sissoko as he has had some outstanding performances in a liverpool shirt. However if you asked me if we could manage without him with the midfielders we have got then I would give you a resounding YES. If we were to be offered anything in the region of whats being mentioned then I wouldn't hesitate if I was in Rafa's shoes in accepting the offer.
Last edited by RUSHIE#9 on Wed May 16, 2007 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Wed May 16, 2007 8:35 pm

Penguins wrote:He lacks more than a classy touch...
His touch is non-existant. He hasn't learned how to make a 5 yard pass yet after 2 years. he is still way too reckless in many challenges.

He is not a defensive midfielder at all. Can't protect the back 4
and is a player you can't pass the ball to without risking possesion. His offensive abilites are non-existant. Can't head, can't shot, can't dribble, can't pass, has no creativity, got poor techique, zero vision and just looses possesion when running at the defense.

At home u just can't use him cause we need to be on the attack the whole game trying to break down opponents and if he is involved the play will break down. He can't be used vs mid-low table team who set out to defend cause once again we need to be creative and break down oppenent with attacking plays. This mean the only games he is reasonably effective is vs top teams away from home who are very skilled with the ball and uses the midfield to start the attack.

That means maybe 4-5 away games in the league and another 4-5 games in the CL and FA cup.
Otherwise I prefer any of the other of the midfielders we have who all can play in a set position and make plays and passes.

So in otherwords, cricket or some other sport is more of his style? You just tore down the very foundations of what makes a footballer a footballer. If anything you said was remotely true, then he wouldn't be on the pitch and playing professional football, nevermind wearing a Liverpool shirt. Complete balls, mate. Sorry, but your post was slightly hypercritical to say the least.

Sissoko is a excellent squad player, and there arn't many in the PL that do a better job at the 'role' that he does on the pitch, if any at all! Well deserves his place in the team.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Elchris » Wed May 16, 2007 8:44 pm

In my opinion , i would loan him out....
He needs to play every week..!!!
That's how he will improve..
He can and capable of being a great player...we have seen the glimpse of that and no one can deny it....
Elchris

Postby Sabre » Wed May 16, 2007 8:48 pm

Elchris wrote:In my opinion , i would loan him out....
He needs to play every week..!!!
That's how he will improve..
He can and capable of being a great player...we have seen the glimpse of that and no one can deny it....

That's an important point IMO, a player that young what he must do is playing a lot, not warming the bench.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed May 16, 2007 9:07 pm

Keep him. He is the most destructive ball-winning midfield player in Europe.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed May 16, 2007 9:09 pm

It's 'Would we'

Why sell him? We wouldnt recoup what we spent and hes a good player.

his touch isnt all that... but his tackling is. keep the guy, and no loans. seasons are long, there are many games, he will be needed
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed May 16, 2007 9:13 pm

bigmick wrote:Keep him. He is the most destructive ball-winning midfield player in Europe.

Well said Mick, some of these posters forget that this guy was almost player of the season last year. You ask Gerrard or Carra what they think of him, they'll say he's an excellent player, lacking in certain departments, but still only young and a true professional. His ability is something we will need next season, nobody has the same nack of breaking up attacks persistently, his stamina is frightening. He gives us an option we don't have with Mascherano or Alonso, they don't have the legs or the destructive ability of Sissoko.

As to whether he should be sold, absolutely not, in my opinion.

As to whether he will be sold or not, I think absolutely not.
LFC2007

Postby neil » Wed May 16, 2007 9:14 pm

let him go, he isnt good enough or us. He would be excellent at Man city or alongside Boetang(the tailor, Oswald) bringing in Mascherano during his slump was the end anyway.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed May 16, 2007 9:15 pm

neil wrote:let him go, he isnt good enough or us. He would be excellent at Man city or alongside Boetang(the tailor, Oswald) bringing in Mascherano during his slump was the end anyway.

How was it 'the end'. That's nonsense, Mascherano isn't even a permanent signing yet.
LFC2007

Postby neil » Wed May 16, 2007 9:17 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
neil wrote:let him go, he isnt good enough or us. He would be excellent at Man city or alongside Boetang(the tailor, Oswald) bringing in Mascherano during his slump was the end anyway.

How was it 'the end'. That's nonsense, Mascherano isn't even a permanent signing yet.

well that told me
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kalos » Wed May 16, 2007 9:21 pm

SO what if he wins the ball?

He loses it even quicker- totally pointless keeping him- no team will win the Prem with him in the first 11 and probably not even as backup- inept.
kalos

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion