Would we really miss alonso? - Xabi swap deal

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby flamingpoe » Wed May 30, 2007 1:53 pm

we dont need lennon we need to be replacing alonso, if alonso doesn't decide to stay, if we where looking for a similiar player i would probs go for gago or riquelme but they got pretty much a direct replacement with this new kid lukas "pezzini" leita
flamingpoe

Postby Simari » Wed May 30, 2007 1:55 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:Mascherano has a turn of pace that Xabi hasnt got that gets him out of trouble at times.

To add to this, Mascherano's passes invite the wingers forward - with the turn of pass and direction of pass, we are counter-attacking fast.

Xabi's passes have been simple and safe, but on numerous ocassions have required the wingers to start running after the pass is received.

I may be way off mark (as I'm sitting here with a bottle of vintage red cabernet sauvignon!), but it does seem that xabi's strengths lie in unlocking defenses straight through the midfield.
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby grayghost » Wed May 30, 2007 2:04 pm

When was the last time Liverpool unlocked a defence with a cute pass. Not since owen against newcaslte.
grayghost

Postby Judge » Wed May 30, 2007 2:06 pm

s@int wrote:
Judge wrote:
Sabre wrote:
Judge wrote:i would like to see aaron lennon in a lfc shirt

Why?  :D

i think the lad is a very good player. he has technical ability and speed. a good combination and is not frightened to have a go a defenders.

imo, he would be an asset to liverpool

I think we all expected it to be one of your sick sexual fantasies Judge. I never expected a serious answer  :D

s@int you learn something new every day then  :D

as for flamingpoe, i never said he was to replace alonso, read my post again
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby flamingpoe » Wed May 30, 2007 2:14 pm

i agree xabi's strength is unlocking defenses straight through midfield, the only problem of that is that gerrard is the same sort of player as is mascherano and also leita and also leto who is another centre defensive midfielder so really xabi is easily replaced, because lets face it, they could play a 4 3 1 2, with lets say everything goes right this transfer window, alves rb, carra and agger cb and riise lb  midfield play mascherano cdm, pennant on the right, leita lm, gerrard cam then kuyt and voronin strikers
flamingpoe

Postby account deleted by request » Wed May 30, 2007 2:41 pm

I think the problem with Xabi that Bigmick mentioned was highlighted in the FA cup final, Ashton kept dropping deeper as soon as West Ham lost the ball and marking Alonso. Xabi is not the first player to have this problem, Souness also received similar treatment, Liverpool solved this problem by Souness moving more to the right when teams tried this, which then freed up space for Hansen to bring the ball out. While Agger is not in Hansen's class I think he could certainly do a similar job of bringing the ball forward.
account deleted by request

Postby Igor Zidane » Wed May 30, 2007 2:52 pm

s@int wrote:I think the problem with Xabi that Bigmick mentioned was highlighted in the FA cup final, Ashton kept dropping deeper as soon as West Ham lost the ball and marking Alonso. Xabi is not the first player to have this problem, Souness also received similar treatment, Liverpool solved this problem by Souness moving more to the right when teams tried this, which then freed up space for Hansen to bring the ball out. While Agger is not in Hansen's class I think he could certainly do a similar job of bringing the ball forward.

That's a crackin shout that saint , i think a ball playing centre back would solve alot of the problems we have with xabi .It would defo free him up to the control the game better. Wether agger is the man to do this i don't know , but from what we've seen last season ,he could be capable.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Wed May 30, 2007 3:04 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:
s@int wrote:I think the problem with Xabi that Bigmick mentioned was highlighted in the FA cup final, Ashton kept dropping deeper as soon as West Ham lost the ball and marking Alonso. Xabi is not the first player to have this problem, Souness also received similar treatment, Liverpool solved this problem by Souness moving more to the right when teams tried this, which then freed up space for Hansen to bring the ball out. While Agger is not in Hansen's class I think he could certainly do a similar job of bringing the ball forward.

That's a crackin shout that saint , i think a ball playing centre back would solve alot of the problems we have with xabi .It would defo free him up to the control the game better. Wether agger is the man to do this i don't know , but from what we've seen last season ,he could be capable.

chivu pops to mind...probably the best in the world at doing so..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed May 30, 2007 3:04 pm

I've joined this all very late so I'll keep it short and simple...I agree with Ivor. :D

Seriously, I'm firmly in the camp that says you do not sell your best players no matter what.  For me, Alonso is comfortably in our top five of players and thus should not be sacrificed.  If we must, sell Sissoko but we'll need Alonso and he will return to form.

One point that hasn't come out too much in this thread is the notion that a swop deal for Eto'o is still a gamble.  Some people talk like that switch guarantees us a quality striker at the expense of a quality CM in a team full of quality CMs.  Well, I think Shevchenko, Crespo and to a lesser extent Morientes have proven that no striker is guaranteed to come to England from abroad and do the business.  If the swop for Eto'o happens and he flops, we'll have dispensed with a quality player for very little return.  I'd rather keep Alonso and sign Mickey Owen and/or Tevez (who won't cost the moon) than gamble on Eto'o, Villa or Torres, personally.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Judge » Wed May 30, 2007 3:06 pm

Bad Bob wrote:I've joined this all very late so I'll keep it short coz im simple... :D

Seriously, I'm firmly camp

short and to the point bob  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed May 30, 2007 3:14 pm

Judge are they you're breasts  :love:
66-1112520797

Postby account deleted by request » Wed May 30, 2007 3:24 pm

Bad Bob wrote:I've joined this all very late so I'll keep it short and simple...I agree with Ivor. :D

Seriously, I'm firmly in the camp that says you do not sell your best players no matter what.  For me, Alonso is comfortably in our top five of players and thus should not be sacrificed.  If we must, sell Sissoko but we'll need Alonso and he will return to form.

One point that hasn't come out too much in this thread is the notion that a swop deal for Eto'o is still a gamble.  Some people talk like that switch guarantees us a quality striker at the expense of a quality CM in a team full of quality CMs.  Well, I think Shevchenko, Crespo and to a lesser extent Morientes have proven that no striker is guaranteed to come to England from abroad and do the business.  If the swop for Eto'o happens and he flops, we'll have dispensed with a quality player for very little return.  I'd rather keep Alonso and sign Mickey Owen and/or Tevez (who won't cost the moon) than gamble on Eto'o, Villa or Torres, personally.

While I agree with you on Owen and Tevez , at the moment Rafa doesn't seem to keen on little Mikey.

Gerrard  Alonso Mascherano Kewell/ a.n.other       
             Voronin    Kuyt

A.n.other Gerrard Mascherano Kewell/a.n.other
              Tevez     Eto'o

Which line up would you prefer? Which lineup looks like a title winning one? I put a.n.other as I presume these are the areas we will strengthen, but god only knows who.
account deleted by request

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed May 30, 2007 3:27 pm

Which line up would you prefer?

The second one.
66-1112520797

Postby grayghost » Wed May 30, 2007 3:29 pm

Just get Tevez
grayghost

Postby Judge » Wed May 30, 2007 3:30 pm

Bamaga man wrote:Judge are they you're breasts  :love:

no, but i know who's they are
Judge