Would we really miss alonso? - Xabi swap deal

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Wed May 30, 2007 11:23 am

Alonso Gerrard will always work to an extent because they are both fantastic players. Against Sheffield Utd and the like, as long as you pick ten other first teamers Gerrard and Salif Diao in the centre would probably work well enough to win the game. The balance argument is a fair one though, as is the point that when the dogs come snapping round the heels, the hunted has to find somewhere else to roam.
And I'm not trying to be Eric fecking Cantona there, I'm just saying that Xabi needs to move about the pitch more. Step one is nullifying this tactic where the opposition centre forward marks him out of the game.
Last edited by bigmick on Wed May 30, 2007 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed May 30, 2007 11:23 am

If they do work Alonso and Gerrard, in what games did they work and how do you know that has nothing to do with players like Garcia or Pennant improving the tactical side of it ?

Sorry, you got me there, I have a very awful memory to remember line-ups except the recent ones, and some important games.

I'm not sure neither, Bamaga man. I just say the things as I see them, but what do I know? it's just my bloody opinion.

But it strikes me that Rafa played at the start of the last season Luis Garcia on the right a lot, and I remember the early part of the season didn't quite work, and then I remember the Gerrard in the right debate.

We'll see next season and we'll keep discussing. As I say, if we have a deeper squad with good players in the right and AM, and I see Rafa avoiding the Alonso-Gerrard partnership, I'll open a thread with this title: "Bamaga-man, Bigmick, Everybody, I WAS WRONG, ONCE AGAIN".  :nod

For instance, remember aswell this season. We all agree the left wing hasn't quite worked this season, right? Gonzalez didn't make it, Aurelio was injured, and Kewell? well I didn't know where Kewell was. What did Rafa do for the dismay of the fans? play a player who can do the job there even if he's not especifically left footed. Gerrard. Gerrard did play a couple of times in the left. Do you think Rafa liked that? nope. He just thought it was better for the team at that point.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed May 30, 2007 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed May 30, 2007 11:26 am

Sabre wrote:In my view, we all are seeing the SAME facts, but we simply find different explanations.

In my view aswell, next season we'll see who's right. Because we'll have a deeper and better squad, and then Rafa will pick the players and positions exactly as he wishes.

If he avoids the Alonso-Gerrard partnership, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong. So, let's just wait.

Just one other thing Sabre.

At the beginning of this season when he brought in Pennant and everyone. It improved our squad depth immensly from the previous season.

But Rafa still tinkered with the team at the beginning of this season and even up until Christmas still didnt know what his best team and his players positions were.

So if Xabi and Gerrard are picked on the opening day of the season together, dont jump the gun and say you were right, because by christ you can be sure he'll change it for the next fixture.  :glare:   :D
66-1112520797

Postby Sabre » Wed May 30, 2007 11:27 am

So if Xabi and Gerrard are picked on the opening day of the season together, dont jump the gun and say you were right, because by christ you can be sure he'll change it for the next fixture. 

I won't do that. I'm not that kind of poster, and FWIW I don't open many threads :)
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed May 30, 2007 11:29 am

I'll open a thread with this title: "Bamaga-man, Bigmick, Everybody, I WAS WRONG, ONCE AGAIN". 

And Peewee and S@int :laugh:

No, seriously theres no need for any of that mate.
66-1112520797

Postby redtrader74 » Wed May 30, 2007 11:32 am

When Pennant has played this season then Alonso and Gerrard have obviously been paired in the centre, so Benitez has played them together.

The reason i believe that Gerrard has been stuck on the wing so much is because we have not had anyone who could do the job as well.
Secondly,I think a lot of us agree that Rafa is somewhat cautious, and that may explain why he may not like to put Gerrard in the centre with only one other player, because once he starts marauding forward he leaves the other player exposed and therefore possibly overrun.

Does anyone think that we may play with 3 centre backs, 2 wingbacks, 3 midfielders,and 2 strikers?
Did he ever use this system at Valencia?
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby Moosey » Wed May 30, 2007 11:32 am

peewee wrote:xavi who? we are talking about xabi and you come in and start talking about someone else    ???

:oops:  :D

Since we got 1,452 central mids what harm would one more do?

:eyebrow
Moosey

Postby Sabre » Wed May 30, 2007 11:38 am

When Pennant has played this season then Alonso and Gerrard have obviously been paired in the centre, so Benitez has played them together.

Something I also seem to be alone in this forum is in the Pennant view. Many seemed to expect that with him, no Gerrard in the right would come. And I disagree.

Unlike Gonzalez and Kewell, I'm happy with Pennant's season.

But even if his season was not good, but excellent, Gerrard would have played in the right aswell some matches.

Because in some games it's not that you preffer Pennant because he's in good form, in some games you need a RIGHT MIDFIELDER (for instance because you play a winger in the left, like Kewell or Gonzo, or Luis Garcia who do not defend much)

And in a top club like this we haven't got but one player who can do that role: Gerrard. Hopefully the RM or "interior" role will be better covered by someone else next season, and Gerrard will return to the CM, as everybody wants.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed May 30, 2007 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Wed May 30, 2007 11:44 am

IMO Sabre you're right there, it is down to Rafa's tactics, depending on who we play, he may not want a right winger but a right midfielder. Maybe you can let me know, has Rafa used 3-5-2 in Spain?
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Wed May 30, 2007 11:46 am

No, never. Taboo. That in Spain is taboo, forbidden.

the 3 CB with full backs in Spain was only deployed by Johan Cruyff, and we're talking about the early nineties here.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed May 30, 2007 11:49 am

I havent read through most of this as i am in work and it would take too long.

A few have pointed out that Alonso's form has not been like it was in the first season and i couldnt disagree.
The main reason that most seem to agree on is that premiership sides have learned how to stifle him, or limit his influence on the game.

I said before we played the Chelsea games that Alonso should and would be left out for Mascherano for one reason, he has been getting caught in posession too easily, when he receives the ball he is being closed down really quickly and is struggling to get his passes off quickly enough or accurately enough. Mascherano has a turn of pace that Xabi hasnt got that gets him out of trouble at times. And if i am being honest if we had a big game and were going to play 2 centre midfielders Alonso wouldnt feature.
He is a great played but seems to have been worked out by opposition managers.
Like strikers who score a shedload then the season after struggle as defenders learn how to cope with there strengths and exploit there weaknesses.

Having said that i would still love him to stay as when he is allowed to play no other player i have seen dictates the game quite like him.

Its a difficult one this, hopefully the manager will be given the funds to buy who he wants but keeping Xabi as well.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Wed May 30, 2007 12:06 pm

i would like to see aaron lennon in a lfc shirt
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed May 30, 2007 12:13 pm

Judge wrote:i would like to see aaron lennon in a lfc shirt

Why?  :D
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Wed May 30, 2007 12:30 pm

Sabre wrote:

i think the lad is a very good player. he has technical ability and speed. a good combination and is not frightened to have a go a defenders.

imo, he would be an asset to liverpool
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed May 30, 2007 1:31 pm

Judge wrote:
Sabre wrote:

i think the lad is a very good player. he has technical ability and speed. a good combination and is not frightened to have a go a defenders.

imo, he would be an asset to liverpool

I think we all expected it to be one of your sick sexual fantasies Judge. I never expected a serious answer  :D
account deleted by request

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion