Worried? no new signings in time for grazer ak - Gerrard injured, le tallec out on loan

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:01 pm

So the deadline for player registrations for the CL 3rd qualifying round has passed, and there have been no signings for the midfield.

Stevie's been quoted as saying he'll be back in time, but as we know all it takes is one false lunge in training and he's out of both legs. With Smicer out long term, Le Tallec no longer an option since he's out on loan, and all the doubts that remain about Diao and Murphy, has Benitez ballsed up?

It would be ridiculous to think we couldn't beat them over two legs, but I really don't have confidence in an LFC midfield without Gerrard as things stand. None of our squad players across the middle are consistent enough to make me think they will definitely perform on the day.
ivor_the_injun

Postby barnesrush » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:03 pm

how about kewell  hamann  murphy   finnan     dont look bad to me

ok its nowhere near as good as a team with stevie but all clubs miss their big players
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby Redtribe » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:07 pm

Ok so maybe our midfield isnt the strongest at the moment but give Rafa a chance to determine what and who he wants!
I dont expect any miracles overnight and Rafa has asked for time to build his team/squad into what he wants!
Maybe he hasnt seen the player he wants in midfield yet or he is not available!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:10 pm

how about kewell  hamann  murphy   finnan     dont look bad to me

I don't know anything about the opposition, but if they have any pace about them in midfield, then Hamann's a worry.

Murphy could very easily spend the two legs giving the ball away, as he often seems to do.

Finnan's still a question mark at right back, so I'm far from convinced about him as any kind of a solution on the right of midfield.

As for Kewell, all it takes is for him to have one of his hands-on-hips nights, and that's the whole left hand side rendered impotent.

On their day, they could do a job, but it's not a line-up you'd put your mortgage on.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:14 pm

BIG MAJOR PANIC!!!!!  RED ALERT RED ALERT!!!!!!!!! CALL OUT THE 'WE HAVEN'T SIGNED ANYBODY YET' POLICE!!!!!!
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby barnesrush » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:18 pm

why do people go on about murphy giving the bal away???

the stats tell a different story
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby zackboxer » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:18 pm

We should be patient and give him the chance to assess what he has and then decide what he needs.
I'm really optimistic about next season and think Rafa is going in time to turn us into a force again but that will take time.

If we can't get through that tie with the current squad then we wouldn't deserve to get any further in the CL anyway.
zackboxer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:21 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:So the deadline for player registrations for the CL 3rd qualifying round has passed, and there have been no signings for the midfield.

Stevie's been quoted as saying he'll be back in time, but as we know all it takes is one false lunge in training and he's out of both legs. With Smicer out long term, Le Tallec no longer an option since he's out on loan, and all the doubts that remain about Diao and Murphy, has Benitez ballsed up?

It would be ridiculous to think we couldn't beat them over two legs, but I really don't have confidence in an LFC midfield without Gerrard as things stand. None of our squad players across the middle are consistent enough to make me think they will definitely perform on the day.

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzZZZZZzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzz  :sleepy:
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby akumaface » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:25 pm

If the team we have couldn't win the first CL game with Grazer, one additional player wouldn't make a different afterwards. Remember this is a team game and we brought Rafa to the club to coach and not just sign anyone in sight. I'm sure Rafa will bring out the best of our team and achieve more than we can expect.:)
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:31 pm

If we can't get through that tie with the current squad then we wouldn't deserve to get any further in the CL anyway.

Very easy to say, but the repercussions if it did happen would be huge.

I'm looking at the bigger picture here. If money's tight, we flat out NEED to know we're going to win that match. If we miss out on the CL revenue again, people will be calling for Rafa's head before the season's even started.

It's all very well stating the need to be patient - I completely agree, but then at the same time I have to ask questions at the wisdom of offloading Le Tallec, who is arguably our best option other than Gerrard in central midfield.

why do people go on about murphy giving the bal away???

the stats tell a different story

Stats are one thing, but watching game after game when your team needs to build pressure, to keep the ball and to get some kind of momentum going, and then to see Smurf needlessly try and thread the needle makes me see things a little differently. The majority of any "completed passes" percentage contains the several 6 foot passes to Hamann when the opposition aren't pressing, and they aren't what I'm talking about.
ivor_the_injun

Postby barnesrush » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:40 pm

maybe i just like players who try something different even if it doesnt always come off. he gets a very good amount of asists and goals each season tho. people on this site are often calling out for a bit of creativity in the middle
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby 72-1090627431 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:42 pm

barnesrush wrote:how about kewell  hamann  murphy   finnan     dont look bad to me

ok its nowhere near as good as a team with stevie but all clubs miss their big players

it looks bad to me!

Finnan in MIdfield? and murphy? no way.

Ive read that Benitez was asked by stevie g about the new faces in the team, and benitez was supposed to have said, if the right player comes along then well make a bid.
which to me suggests, nothing imminent

ill eat my words if benitez can turn strictly average players into great players, but i cant see it. he aint no magician.

what do you think the difference between chelsea spending 70 million, and liverpool spending say 18million in preseason?
the difference is being able to challenge for the league title this year! and having the pick of the worlds best players.

There aint no magic to it, never mind tinkering with rubbish players, we need the league NOW!
72-1090627431

Postby maximus » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:43 pm

akumaface wrote:If the team we have couldn't win the first CL game with Grazer, one additional player wouldn't make a different afterwards. Remember this is a team game and we brought Rafa to the club to coach and not just sign anyone in sight. I'm sure Rafa will bring out the best of our team and achieve more than we can expect.:)

This subject is truly old hat, however IMO there are 2 schools of thought.

1 - Surely the team Rafa has inherited are effectively 'all new signings' in a way for our boss. There is a time period for him to decide what is 'good' and what is 'bad'.

2 - As LFC supporters for many years we seem to think we all know where we need strengthening.

Theres no doubt that if we were to unveil Aimar tomorrow, as LFC supporters we would be trembling with excitement, but working with the existing squad on a day to day basis only Rafa really will know the answer....................................we all hope of course!!!!

I anm fed up of when will the new signings come.................christ GH spent over 100 million in his tenure as LFC boss, and we still never won the EPL (or came close even)
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby barnesrush » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:43 pm

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby JBG » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:47 pm

There is no major panic for Graz next week. The two games are the most important of our entire season as we absolutely need to win, but Benitez and Parry must be fairly confident of progressing.

Word has it that the squad has been working extremely hard this summer and confidence and morale are high. Even Steven Gerrard, who was one of Gerard Houllier's most ardent supporters, has said that there is an improvement and buzz around training not seen in the 5 or 6 years that Houllier was here.

We'd all like more signings, but the flipside of that is a return to the Houllier days, when we bought 4 or 5 guys every summer, and were lucky if even one of them was a success.

Rafa clearly won't make any panic buys, and buying nobody is better than wasting £10million on 2 or 3 guys bought in a rush.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion