World XI - Pick yours

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby XSD » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:37 am

I just thought that this was missing, it's a pretty standard thread but a fun one  :D

Buffon
Puyol           Nesta             Ayala          Carlos

Zidane            Gerrard
Joaquin                                              Vicente

Ronaldinho     

Ronaldo

RB was an area of a little concern, Cafu would be good of course but he is getting on a bit :) Right wing I think Aimar or Nedved could be shifted a bit out of position but I like the look of Joaquin a lot.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:13 am

hmm interesting topic, a lot of room for debate. I will go with a 4-4-2 formation with the following:

GK: Buffon - class keeper, alway makes outstanding saves, good in shootouts.

RB: Ferreira - brilliant for Porto last season, best RB in Europe last season (tough decision though)

CB: Nesta - constantly classy performer for club and country.

CB: Carvalho - hard one again, but going on last season and Euro 2004 I will put him in.

LB: Roberto Carlos- no need to explain, brilliant.

RM: Figo- form for Real Madrid is still great, had a decent Euro 2004.

CM: Zidane - magic, no one better in World football

CM: Ronaldinho - play an attacking role, absolutely magnificent player, again one of best in the world.

LM: Nedved -  class act, lightning shot, pace etc. can switch with Ronaldinho, as Ronnie plays out on the left for Barca occasionly.

ST: Shevchenko - scored goals for Ac milan consistently in both the Serie A and CL, my pick for the player of the year this season.

ST: Henry- phenomenal for Arsenal, struggled at Euro 2004, but is one of the most exhilarating players in
world football.

there are loads of other players that could also be in there like RVN, Sol Campbell, Totti and I would have liked to put gerrard in there, but thought to repalce him for Nedved, Zidane or Ronnie would be harsh, and Figo provides the only real width in the midfield, so to play Stevie on the right would mean a very central style of play with little wide options. Althouhg you colud put ronaldinho on the left side of midfield, play Gerrard in the centre and put either Nedevd or Figo on the right, with Roberto Carlso providing a lot of width up the left, if Ronaldinho decides to play more in the centre.
Last edited by LFC #1 on Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:33 am

Well I have Zidane working his magic in the middle. Gerrard as the ball-winner and defensive midfielder. Two great wingers, and then Ronaldinho behind Ronaldo. Seems like a good midfield to me :D
Nedved or Aimar could be in there instead of Steven but I think with Ronaldinho they aren't needed.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:35 am

fair enough, would find a place for Henry though.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:36 am

I don't think Henry is worth a place in a top team. He doesn't score in the big games, he might be good vs Fullham and such in the premiership but in knock-out games he dissapears.
I would choose Ronaldo, RVN and maybe Owen before him.
Last edited by XSD on Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:38 am

yeah i suppose it's who he plays with, with France, Zidane is the main man, and play revolves around him. Henry needs to be the key player, in which play revolves more or less around him.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:21 pm

buffon

zanetti            nesta             carvahlo           carlos

gerrard            zidane         nedved

ronaldinho

schevchenko                    ronaldo
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Starbridge42 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:35 pm

I'll base mine on PERFORMANCES LAST SEASON.
4-4-2 just doesn't cut it I've gone for a 3-1-2-2-2

Gk; Iker Casillas:  Performed unseemly heroics in what was the most criminally overexposed position in football.  He preserved the illusion that Real were capable of winning trophies.
LB: Nesta, yes he's a central defender but it would be criminal not to include him.
RB: Mancini: Along with Kaka, the revelation of the Serie A this season.
CD: Ayala:  John Terry was a contender here but it has to eb said that Chelsea and Real would have been unbeatable had the prised him from Valencia.
DM: Mauro Silva: This is supposed to belong to Lampard or Vieira surely, but whenever Depor has upset the odds, hes been the driving force.  Ever since US 94 he's been the one player oyu'd want in your team in a game where everything was on the lune.
RM: Giuly: the magic goblin  :D  It was his rage at a derogatory half-time remark by Zidane in the1/4 finals of the CL that turned the European season on its head
LM: Rohnaldino, despit the hype around Totti and Henry it was the brazilian who was arguably the best player in the world this season.
Playmaker: Kaka: A young player expected to warm the bench, walks straight into a star-studded team and dominates the toughest league in the world.  He was the one who won Milan the Scudetto
Playmaker: Totti: Roma's best player, he shouldered a load no other player in the world had to shoulder, carrying a debt-ridden team to within inches of the Italian Serie A title.  Gerrard performed a similiar trick for us but Totti was even better.
Striker: Henry:  He's now on the same level as Ronaldo before he blew out his knee, only he's more of a team player.  As long as he stays that way, he's the greatest striker in years.
Striker: Ronaldo: Arguably the most underrated player in the world.  Derided as overweight, lazy and past his best he maintains a scoring rate few others can even dream of. His mid season injury coincided wiht Real's fall from the top of the table, which poses the question.  How can one player be so vital when Real have Raul, Beckham, Zidane, Carlos and Figo?  thats some crowd to stand out from.

Coach: Jose Mourinho: the logical choice after guiding Porto to the Champions League title: Didier Deschamps, Chris Coleman, Cesare Prandelli were close here.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby JBG » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:31 pm

I'll also base mine on recent form as well as reputation.

Buffon (Italy; Juventus)
Puyol (Spain; Barcelona)
Carlos (Brazil; Real Madrid)
Carvahello (Portugal; Chelsea)
Nesta (Italy; AC Milan)
Vieira (France; Arsenal)
Zidanne (France; Real Madrid)
Nedved (Czech Rep; Juventus)
Ronaldinho (Brazil; Barcelona)
Henry (France; Arsenal)
Shevchenko (Ukraine; AC Milan).
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby begintoend » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:12 pm

GK : Buffon
RB : Jiranek 
LB : Carlos
CB : Nesta
CB : Ayala
RM : Ronaldinho
LM : Zambrotta
MC : Viera
AMC : Zidane
FW : Ronaldo
ST : Shevchenko
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:26 am

buffon

puyol          nesta             carvahlo           carlos

gerrard      ronaldinho      zidane         nedved

henry                    ronaldo
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:08 pm

Me and you have very similar teams, AnfieldAdorer, except I have Vieira instead of Gerrard (due to Gerrard's below par displays at international level as well as Vieira's collection of medals) and Shevchenko instead of Ronaldo, as I think that while Ronaldo scored a lot of goals last season, he is slipping once again.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby anfieldadorer » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:30 pm

Well, i couldn't help using a bit of "feeling" for Liverpool when including Gerrard. But you're right, probably Vieira is currently a bit better than SG.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:58 pm

1.Buffon

2.Puyol                 4.Nesta               5.Cannavaro          3.Carlos

7.C.ronaldo            8.Viera                6.Zidane              11. Nedved

10.Schevchenco    9.Ronaldhino
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby who the hell is diarra » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:17 pm

Nice thread XSD A kind of "Who want to ba a Chelski manager" loooool :D

I've generally tried to base my selections on club form rather than Internationals.  I'v e gone for a standard 4-4-2 formation

Goalie: Buffon - a strong commanding Keeper with Superb reflexes and shot stopping ability.
Left Back: Roberto Carlos-. Forget about the free kicks, his pace and delivery make him a great attacking full back, not outstanding defensively but no mug either
Right Back: Puyol- tough call but he has been Europes to right back for a couple of years thanks to his outstanding displays for Barca.
Centre Backs: Nesta- Cool, Calm and assured a typical Italian, always looks to have tons of time to do anything.
                    Terry- was the  best centre half in the EPL last season to achieve that in such a tough league with so many of the worlds top strikers gets him in to my team, his form has meant Fredinand will not just walk back in the England team
   Left Wing: Pires- 19 Goals last season is an outstanding return for a Midfielder. Oozes quality in everything he does.
  Right Wing: Nedved- Had a very quiet Euro 04 but is arguable the top midfielder in Europe on current form. Versatile enough to play on either flank or in the middle.
  Cent Mid: Stevie G- As good as it gets. Nuff said!
  Cent Mid: Zidane- The best player in the world in the last 15 years, since Platini.
  Striker: Henry- Awesome frontman completly unplayable at times. He along with Zidane will be the creative influence of the team
  Striker: Shevchenko- Lightning pace and lethal finishing combined with intelligent movements make him SerieA most feared forward. Only just ahead of Ronaldo in my decision.   

Well thats my team i'm confident that it could go up against most others, although Stevie wil have to get stuck in in the midfield and win a lot of tackles as i dont think my other 3 midfielders know what that means.   ???
Always Look on the bright side of life
der der ........der der der der der

Drummerphil You'll never walk alone
who the hell is diarra
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion