World cup refs 'targeted crouch' - Graham poll

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby lakes10 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:44 am

bbc sport
Former referee Graham Poll says officials at last summer's World Cup were encouraged by Fifa to "look out for" England striker Peter Crouch.
Crouch, 26, is banned for the Euro 2008 qualifier against Israel on Saturday and Poll says that is no surprise.

He told BBC 5live: "Fifa's head of refereeing said, 'look at Crouch, he's a pain and he gets away with a lot. We need to mark him out and look for him'.

"We were shown videos of him. I tried to defend him, being English."

Poll added: "Before last year's tournament in Germany, we watched England's warm-up games.

606: DEBATE
I have long thought that he gets too many fouls given against him purely because he is so tall

Evanovich

"We had been out there for two or three weeks before, and it was pointed out the way he used his arms.

"Now, Crouch has been picking up cautions in qualifying and is out of Saturday's match."

Recalled Wigan striker Emile Heskey could be set to partner Michael Owen in Crouch's absence on Saturday.

Crouch will be available when England take on Russia in another crucial Euro 2008 qualifier next Wednesday

I feel this is also the case when he plays for us in CL, Every time he get to head the ball he is said to have done a foul.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:50 am

I think the way he grabbed that blokes hair as he scored for England was probably the reason he was picked out, and he's paying for it every time he makes a challenge now!
account deleted by request

Postby Sabre » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:12 pm

s@int wrote:I think the way he grabbed that blokes hair as he scored for England was probably the reason he was picked out, and he's paying for it every time he makes a challenge now!

I agree, and this bunch of burocrats always find other culprits than their own incompetence.

The way he uses his elbow is special? well, he uses well the elbows, and not particularly in a nasty way, just a traditional one. Cannavaro makes a ton of little fouls that are good for the team, and it's in the rules that you can get a card for reiteration and he gets away with it. Every player does his fúcking best and uses whatever tricks necessary. In top divisions and lower ones.

So paying more attention to Crouch is unbelievable, let them simply apply the rules, and stop talking bóllocks.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KRobbo10 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:22 pm

I think the FA need to look into this (which they won't) because shorely you can't show refs video clips and target a player.
I think its noting to do with it being Crouch its because he is English.  The refs are basically being told to be biased against us. :angry:

If this was another country it would be a up roar
KRobbo10

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:34 pm

s@int wrote:I think the way he grabbed that blokes hair as he scored for England was probably the reason he was picked out, and he's paying for it every time he makes a challenge now!

It can't be. Fifa issued the direction to referees before that happened. No one can deny that Crouch is more than often unfairly penalised for challenges purely because he is extraordinarily tall and gains an advantage on every header he jumps for.

At the end of the day Fifa don't like the English mentality of hard tackling combined with the fact that the Premier League is far more physically competitive than any other league in the world.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KRobbo10 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:36 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:

It can't be. Fifa issued the direction to referees before that happened. No one can deny that Crouch is more than often unfairly penalised for challenges purely because he is extraordinarily tall and gains an advantage on every header he jumps for.

At the end of the day Fifa don't like the English mentality of hard tackling combined with the fact that the Premier League is far more physically competitive than any other league in the world.

agree and agree more.

the FA just sit there and let this happen there a :censored: joke
KRobbo10

Postby Reg » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Little man´s disease and it will never change.    I´m 6´7´´ same as Crouchie and have suffered from it all my life.

Bless.....
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:51 pm

He should sue Fifa for height-ism. :D

It is a real problem though. He's by no means a dirty player, and yet you look at someone like Drogba gets away with murder at times, backing in, grabbing on, and yet is rarely pulled up in comparison.
ivor_the_injun

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:58 pm

It's no surprise when you consider that most of the Fifa hierachy are about 2'0" :D
Last edited by RUSHIE#9 on Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:03 pm

Reg wrote:Little man´s disease and it will never change.    I´m 6´7´´ same as Crouchie and have suffered from it all my life.

Bless.....

funny you should say that, my mate was telling me the other day how he feel, he is almost 7ft, he say he has not got job due to it, even more so when the guy he is meeting is short.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:05 pm

oh sorry i have to put this .....dont mess with a short Policeman
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:21 pm

lakes10 wrote:oh sorry i have to put this .....dont mess with a short Policeman

stu ?  :)  :D  :p
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby scouser 'til I die » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:34 pm

lakes10 wrote:
Reg wrote:Little man´s disease and it will never change.    I´m 6´7´´ same as Crouchie and have suffered from it all my life.

Bless.....

funny you should say that, my mate was telling me the other day how he feel, he is almost 7ft, he say he has not got job due to it, even more so when the guy he is meeting is short.

a gay 7 foot man, well you can't say it will go down well on his cv  :laugh:

You'll Never Walk Alone
scouser 'til I die

Postby Ciggy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:41 pm

Weve always known he has been singled out by foriegn refs thats not new, but they cant just point the finger at him and let Soul Glow Dogbreath, Ronaldo, Terry and Robben continue to cheat and con the football world.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:17 pm

All English players get a raw deal, but Crouch's treatment was bad in the last world cup. He couldn't jump without being flagged and everytime he won the ball the ref said he fouled in doing so. Shocking, but let's face it, he stands out like a saw thumb, or a saw head in his case. He's an easy target, i guess. Sad but true.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion