Winger or creative second striker

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:06 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
s@int wrote:Just to add to my second striker theory, can anyone name the last team to win the league title playing 2 strikers rather than a striker and a creative second striker. Chelsea I would argue played with either one striker and 2 wingers or with Gudjohnson as their creative second striker. Mancs have had Cantona, York, Scholes,Sherringham, Rooney. Arsenal had Bergkamp. We have a long history of creative second strikers going back to Stjohn, Keegan, Dalglish, Beardsley.

Only team I could think of was Blackburn with S.A.S.

Cole and Yorke ?

Campbell and Wright ?

York was a creative second striker. Campbell and Wright ? I don't think they ever won the title did they? I thought the last before Bergkamp was Smith and after that Wright and Bergkamp?
Last edited by account deleted by request on Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby Smeg » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:52 pm

Babel's :censored: :censored:. Enough said on the matter.
Smeg

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:17 pm

s@int wrote:Just to add to my second striker theory, can anyone name the last team to win the league title playing 2 strikers rather than a striker and a creative second striker. Chelsea I would argue played with either one striker and 2 wingers or with Gudjohnson as their creative second striker. Mancs have had Cantona, York, Scholes,Sherringham, Rooney. Arsenal had Bergkamp. We have a long history of creative second strikers going back to Stjohn, Keegan, Dalglish, Beardsley.

Only team I could think of was Blackburn with S.A.S.

Saint, do us a favour, mate, and say a bit more about what you mean by "creative second striker" and, by extension, what characterizes his strike partner--I just want to be sure I have right picture in my head.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:22 pm

RedBlood wrote:Any1 who doubts Babel IS a retard in my mind, as 4 DAVID VILLIA good call but id rather go 4  Franco Di Santos hes only 18 & is a target man like crouch but faster & betta in the air & hed cost less then what we would get 4 crouch

my wish list

Van Borre
Franco Di Santos
Jeremy menez
Alves Alfonso

:blues:

Funny, I'd say that text speak is a much clearer indicator of diminished mental capacity. ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby ConnO'var » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:37 pm

At the moment, I'd say we need both, but feel that it's more critical that we get proper wingers. We're way too narrow and have been that way for some time now. Riise, Benayoun, Babel and to a lesser extent, Pennant are just not good enough IMO. The only class winger we have spends more time on the treatment table than on the pitch. That's 5 spots in the squad that are not quite up to scratch.

Valencia's Silva is a player I rate as is Mancini from Roma.
Would also not say no Alves even though he's more of a right back than winger.... but his overlapping runs could give us that added width we need as well...

Of course if Villa was available, I'd snap off Valencia's hands as well.... :D

Too much of a wish list though and pragmatism tells me that this is unlikely to occur.
ConnO'var

Postby Smeg » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:39 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
RedBlood wrote:Any1 who doubts Babel IS a retard in my mind, as 4 DAVID VILLIA good call but id rather go 4  Franco Di Santos hes only 18 & is a target man like crouch but faster & betta in the air & hed cost less then what we would get 4 crouch

my wish list

Van Borre
Franco Di Santos
Jeremy menez
Alves Alfonso

:blues:

Funny, I'd say that text speak is a much clearer indicator of diminished mental capacity. ???

Quality post Bob. :D
Smeg

Postby Wilhelmsson » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:55 pm

maguskwt wrote:
The Grudge wrote:
maguskwt wrote:
The Grudge wrote:Babel is written off already then by most?Really had a chance?

why is that so?

Too many to quick to judge! we have few games to play yet?

oh you mean as a winger?

I see his abilities more suitable for a striker than as a winger... that's all

Why can’t Babel play in both positions? Why can’t Babel be blooded into a variety of different roles, this would not only have benefits on the team, to have a versatile player, but it will also have benefits for Babel.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:15 pm

A creative second striker, is a player that connects the midfield and the striker, usually has flair and great vision. Used to be characterised by the Number 10 shirt in europe. Not usually as prolific as their strike partner, the emphasis being much more on creating chances for their partner. Dalglish and Rush was a great example of this type of partnership. Dalglish creating the chances and Rush putting then away.

Usually a great playmaker as well (but not always) who has less defensive duties than an attacking midfielder but more responsibility in and around the box. Many players fit into both categories i.e. Aimar, Requelme even Zidane as he got older but usually they are required to offer a bit more goal threat than these players. 10/15 goals rather than 5/10 goals, and more willing to be found in the penalty box, rather than just outside it.

They are the player that is as happy creating a goal as scoring one, they will beat a player and look to slip in their strike partner as well as striking for goal themselves. Think of Kuyt but with flair, vision, first touch and great passing ability. i.e. Dennis Bergkamp.

Unlike Garcia who was all flicks tricks and ballwasting, they are usually good in possession,spend more time on the ball, but with the ability to keep the game flowing with quick passes and through balls.

Their partner is usually a more selfish and clinical finisher, less able to create openings but great at finishing chances off. Typically with less flair or skill on the ball, but with one outstanding attribute such as great pace or the ability to create space by the timing of their runs. Think Rush ,Owen,Fowler, then imagine them with Stjohn behind them, slipping the ball through for them to score (before he took the extra step back and became a "proper"midfielder) Wiltord with Bergkamp (although Wiltord wasn't really up to much :p  )

Its much easier (for me anyway ) to give examples of great creative second strikers than to try to explain what one is.

Basically think of any great team since 1970 and you will usually find one. Brazil '70 Pele played with Tostao(sp), Argentina had Kempes followed by Maradonna, France had Zidane, Italy probably the greatest exponants Riviera (sp) Baggio, Totti(since moved to striker), Del piero (before his injury)

Lots of skill, great passing, great touch and vision but needing/better with a front man to feed off their talents

BTW I went on RedCafe (manc forum)about a week ago and they were discussing who was the best pairing of strikers ever......Dalglish and Rush ! I must admit I was pleasantly surprised.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby maguskwt » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:24 pm

s@int wrote:BTW I went on RedCafe (manc forum)about a week ago and they were discussing who was the best pairing of strikers ever......Dalglish and Rush ! I must admit I was pleasantly surprised.

well surely not cole and yorke... :D

they scored tons of goals between them but mostly because of their midfield creating so many chances...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby europian-kings » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:29 pm

i think we will leave it and maybe only get young talent (like leiva, brouwer etc...) in january. but in the summer i would rather us sell crouch, use babel as one of the four options upfront (along with torres, kuyt, voronin), and buy a class left winger. not sure who yet but i will have a big list of players i would like to see in the position come next summer =]. i would also like us to buy another deffender in summer aswel!
europian-kings
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:49 am

s@int wrote:A creative second striker, is a player that connects the midfield and the striker, usually has flair and great vision. Used to be characterised by the Number 10 shirt in europe. Not usually as prolific as their strike partner, the emphasis being much more on creating chances for their partner. Dalglish and Rush was a great example of this type of partnership. Dalglish creating the chances and Rush putting then away.

Usually a great playmaker as well (but not always) who has less defensive duties than an attacking midfielder but more responsibility in and around the box. Many players fit into both categories i.e. Aimar, Requelme even Zidane as he got older but usually they are required to offer a bit more goal threat than these players. 10/15 goals rather than 5/10 goals, and more willing to be found in the penalty box, rather than just outside it.

They are the player that is as happy creating a goal as scoring one, they will beat a player and look to slip in their strike partner as well as striking for goal themselves. Think of Kuyt but with flair, vision, first touch and great passing ability. i.e. Dennis Bergkamp.

Unlike Garcia who was all flicks tricks and ballwasting, they are usually good in possession,spend more time on the ball, but with the ability to keep the game flowing with quick passes and through balls.

Their partner is usually a more selfish and clinical finisher, less able to create openings but great at finishing chances off. Typically with less flair or skill on the ball, but with one outstanding attribute such as great pace or the ability to create space by the timing of their runs. Think Rush ,Owen,Fowler, then imagine them with Stjohn behind them, slipping the ball through for them to score (before he took the extra step back and became a "proper"midfielder) Wiltord with Bergkamp (although Wiltord wasn't really up to much :p  )

Its much easier (for me anyway ) to give examples of great creative second strikers than to try to explain what one is.

Basically think of any great team since 1970 and you will usually find one. Brazil '70 Pele played with Tostao(sp), Argentina had Kempes followed by Maradonna, France had Zidane, Italy probably the greatest exponants Riviera (sp) Baggio, Totti(since moved to striker), Del piero (before his injury)

Lots of skill, great passing, great touch and vision but needing/better with a front man to feed off their talents

BTW I went on RedCafe (manc forum)about a week ago and they were discussing who was the best pairing of strikers ever......Dalglish and Rush ! I must admit I was pleasantly surprised.

Cheers, mate--that's how I pictured things but I wanted to be sure.

BTW, I see you put Rooney down as a "#10" in one of your earlier posts and we know that Tevez is one as well.  With Saha out injured again Ferguson's going to have to persist with both of them (unless he goes back to 4-5-1).  How's that going to work long term?
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:10 am

Bad Bob wrote:
s@int wrote:A creative second striker, is a player that connects the midfield and the striker, usually has flair and great vision. Used to be characterised by the Number 10 shirt in europe. Not usually as prolific as their strike partner, the emphasis being much more on creating chances for their partner. Dalglish and Rush was a great example of this type of partnership. Dalglish creating the chances and Rush putting then away.

Cheers, mate--that's how I pictured things but I wanted to be sure.

BTW, I see you put Rooney down as a "#10" in one of your earlier posts and we know that Tevez is one as well.  With Saha out injured again Ferguson's going to have to persist with both of them (unless he goes back to 4-5-1).  How's that going to work long term?

As long as Ronaldo keeps scoring they have no problems, but if the goals from him dry up, they may struggle for goals . It wouldn't surprise me to see them buy a striker after Christmas, although I don't think Fergie usually adds in the winter window.

Tevez may be able to take on the role, he played there for the Argentina under 20's team a few years ago and finished top scorer. Hopefully they will struggle but I am not holding my breath :D the b@stards usually find a way :(

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:42 pm

s@int wrote:Hopefully they will struggle but I am not holding my breath :D the b@stards usually find a way :(

Don't they just!  :veryangry
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion