Winger or creative second striker

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Kewell2Dominate » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:42 am

I believe Kewell will have a major impact in our chances in all competitions this year. Reports in OZ suggest that kewell might play as a creative second striker to viduka at the asian cup so it will be interesting to see how he performs there. In my opinion a left winger is still a must to put pressure on kewell and to cover him if/or when he gets injured. Also a fit kewell coming on in crucial matches with the game in the balance with 30 mins to go could be the answer to finishing off the games that in the past we have let slip a lead or been beaten at the end.
Kewell2Dominate

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:05 pm

If you look at the players we are rumoured (hoping) to sell/sold :-

Cisse -     £6million
Bellamy -  £9million
Garcia -   £4 million
Pongole - £3million

We have virtually signed Torres without touching our transfer funds,(not counting Lucas etc etc who ruin my theory :D )if all these transfers go through.

This would leave the option open to still be in the market for one more star player, as even the most pessimistic of estimates would expect us to have around £25/30 million as a transfer fund.  Just enough to sign Tevez.(Failing that maybe Owen ? :p  )
account deleted by request

Postby Geo » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:02 am

to be honest both are needed really. Kewell2Dominate ive also read harry will be playing a central role of aussie at the asian cup so possibly thats an option, although i feel we are relatively weak on the left as well. I would really like to mancini, i think his raw power and flair would really be suited to the premiership. ive also read that he can play in the second striker role.
Geo

Postby p_i_n_g_u » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:17 pm

So after all the talk of us being "big spenders" now, after the Bellamy/Cisse deals go through our net outlay this summer so far will be approximately £0 whilst that lot from Manchester have spend £55m already and that's before any deal for Tevez.

One other thing - if people aren't already aware of it there's a good LFC-related podcast from the LFC New York supporters club here:

http://www.lfcny.org/multimedia.htm

Some of it towards the second half of the broadcast isn't the best, but some good stuff nevertheless, particularly when the scouse exile (forget his name) is there, which he wasn't on the latest show.

Any other good podcasts out there?

Cheers.
Last edited by p_i_n_g_u on Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
p_i_n_g_u

Postby flamingpoe » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:12 pm

we have signed torres now so thats a good beneficial thing, as to if we should sign tevez we cant hes gone to manure, not that we should of wanted the overpriced argentinian. so let manure get on with it, as to if we should buy a winger or a creative second striker i think that we should get a winger in for that trouble left spot, im thinking that simao, mancini or ali karimi might fit the bill, but looking at these 3 the only slight problem is benfica i dont think will let simao go, he is to crucial for them, then you have mancini that you would have to pay a good 18-20mil, so if the price is right get buying, if not as i have suggested ali karimi has not signed a new contract for bayern munich, thus he is on a free contract at the moment, so he in my eyes would be a good viable option :D :D
flamingpoe

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:13 pm

It's 7th July for Christ's sake.

Stop fretting over "if we don't sign anyone else..."

We WILL make at least 2 more major signings before the window shuts.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby p_i_n_g_u » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:18 pm

I forgot to add the Lucas Leiva outlay (6-8 mil?) so we have spent a bit overall, but we will have recouped almost all of that money already. Also what is Mark Gonzalez's value - thought he's gone to Betis but have read he's back at our training camp? Hopefully he and Pennant will be gone by season start IMHO - can't see either being up to the job I'm afraid.
Last edited by p_i_n_g_u on Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
p_i_n_g_u

Postby Kewell2Dominate » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:08 am

Give Pennant another season. I think he did ok last season and will have a bit more to offer this season.
Kewell2Dominate

Postby .:RedKuyt:. » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:46 am

Both!!
.:RedKuyt:.

Postby stmichael » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:51 am

On Voronin, I think he'll be the surprise package this season. Ok he won't have the same amount of flair as Garcia but I can see him having the knack of scoring some important goals for us.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby roberto green » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:06 pm

stmichael wrote:On Voronin, I think he'll be the surprise package this season. Ok he won't have the same amount of flair as Garcia but I can see him having the knack of scoring some important goals for us.

I know iv'e got a funny feeling about this Voronin, and that he is going to be a top class signing,I cant recall even seeing him play.I wonder what the odds would be for golden boot :eyebrow
roberto green

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:19 pm

I was just looking back on who we all thought we needed before the season started. We eventually went for Babel...... not a creative second striker, not really a creative winger, not really sure what he is going to be to be perfectly honest.

Looks like we still have the same problems as before the season started we look short on the wings and up front. Torres up to now as more than lived up to expectations but has played as our main striker rather than a more creative role as some thought/hoped. Kuyt is still playing too deep, Crouch still out of sorts and Veronin while getting goals hasn't looked the complete answer.

Benayoun, Pennent,Leto, Riise, Aurelio and even Babel havent yet proved the answer on the wings and we are left hoping Kewell can come back from injury to provide the spark we need.
account deleted by request

Postby bigmick » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:51 pm

There's no question that if we aren't going to play Crouch barely at all (and it certainly appears that way) then we are at least one striker short. Infact, given the "sameyness" of three of them you could even argue we are two short. The lack of threat from out wide is a real problem when Gerrard and to a lesser extent Riise don't play there, and we are obviously short of a centre half.

In fairness to saint, he has been on about this "creative second striker" for a bit now and time has proven it be a good call, he was and is obviously right. Similarly Stu talked last season about strengthening the first team, needing another striker, a winger and a centre back and although in the latter case he was incorrectly in my opinion stressing we should replace Agger, he looks like he's right on the other two.

I've got a bit of a feeling as I've alluded to on many occasions, that Rafa is about to see the light on mass rotation. I don't expect or need to see a press conference and an "I fecked it up" style apology, but just expect to see a largely settled team played in all matches except the Carling Cup for the forseeable. If as I hope we can put the wheels back on quickly, before the leaders disappear over the horizon we can hopefully put ourselves back into the mix (or stay in it if you prefer as on points we still are) by the turn of the year.

It is my hunch though that we are going to need at that point to gamble on signing a proper partner for Torres. My knowledge of European football is nowhere near sufficient to start throwing names into the mix, but there really must be somebody better suited to the task than any we currently have. I've a further hunch that by then our very best eleven may include our captain playing right midfield. One thing is certain, if you are going to buy a right-midfielder you could scour the World, robbing banks along the way and you wouldn't find one better than Gerrard in my view.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:00 am

Mick, if Rafa did shift Gerrard back over to RM at the moment I swear he'd have to have bollox the size of beach balls.  Weeks of being mullered in the press for rotation, only to respond by playing his star player out wide rather than in his "favoured central midfield" role?  If he does stick two fingers up to the pundits like that my hat will be off to the man. :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby The Grudge » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:08 am

In reality and all bitching apart!

Strongest team is

Reina

Finnan  Carra  Agger Arbeloa

Gerrard Mash Alonso Riise

Kuyt     Torres.....I would maybe swap ...that is  a balanced midfield!
The Grudge

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion