Will Liverpool be left behind?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby greenred » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:14 pm

While clubs such as Man City are splashing the cash,fighting to win the title,Liverpool are drawing at home,losing away and basically getting worse.Soon,clubs will come and snap up our best players such as Suarez and Lucas.We are gradually falling behind and I'm afraid to say,unless our owners put more investment into our club,we will become just another ''average'' club.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:19 pm

greenred » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:14 pm wrote:While clubs such as Man City are splashing the cash,fighting to win the title,Liverpool are drawing at home,losing away and basically getting worse.Soon,clubs will come and snap up our best players such as Suarez and Lucas.We are gradually falling behind and I'm afraid to say,unless our owners put more investment into our club,we will become just another ''average'' club.

Sad to say, but I think we're already "just another average club" (on the field at least. LFC wont ever be "average"). I think we have been for a long time. We just have never gotten to grips with the notion. I believe we can return to the top though. But we need to set lower targets and expect less. Many blame Kenny, Carroll and co for our current woes, but seriously...haven't we been pretty cr*p for years now? I don't think we're getting worse...just other teams are progressing faster. We need time, patience and to ease off on our team and let them get on with it...for better or for worse. Maybe then we can make some ground and close the gap between ourselves and the top.
Last edited by RedAnt on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Boxscarf » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:20 pm

I'm pretty sure FSG will keep on investing in playing staff, that I have no worry about, until a time where it is evident that they are not putting the money into the club. They are businessmen first and foremost, they'll want Liverpool competing on all fronts, they'll want Liverpool winning trophies because it generates much needed revenue for the club, so the club can sustain itself and they can get as much profit from the club as possible. I doubt they'll let the club fall into mid-table mediocrity.
Boxscarf

Postby RichardLFC1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:27 pm

This is the worst Topic ever created as your opening post could have been added to many other topics

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby jimmy brighton » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:36 pm

God, the doom mongers are really out in force on this forum aren't they? Rome wasn't built in a day. An obvious cliche but come on? Have some of the posters on this forum really got their heads that far up their own backside? PATIENCE boys and girls PATIENCE. I knew this season was purely gonna be one of transition. Obviously some of you lot thought Kenny was going to instantly pick up number 19 and coast into the champions league and possibly do a doulbe or even treble in the following season. Sorry if KK's only managed a mickey mouse trophy but Chelsea or Citeh weren't saying that when we humped the pair of them. To whom I'm referring you should be ashamed
joey ate the frogs legs
made the swiss roll
now he's munching gladback
jimmy brighton
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:54 pm

greenred » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:14 pm wrote:While clubs such as Man City are splashing the cash,fighting to win the title,Liverpool are drawing at home,losing away and basically getting worse.Soon,clubs will come and snap up our best players such as Suarez and Lucas.We are gradually falling behind and I'm afraid to say,unless our owners put more investment into our club,we will become just another ''average'' club.

Now there's a blast from the past ,welcome back fella .
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:57 pm

Cheers,nice to be back.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:05 pm

greenred » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:14 pm wrote:While clubs such as Man City are splashing the cash,fighting to win the title,Liverpool are drawing at home,losing away and basically getting worse.Soon,clubs will come and snap up our best players such as Suarez and Lucas.We are gradually falling behind and I'm afraid to say,unless our owners put more investment into our club,we will become just another ''average'' club.

:wwww  Greenred still alive ! Thought the Federales' had smoked you already.

Yeah mate , think we all share your fear. Lets not forget than even (in my lifetime) the scum were once relegated. Not suggesting we'll ever fall that far but the way we've been playing I think we're lucky to be even described as "average".

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:02 pm

form is temporary and class is permanent and we just have to find ours again.
fsg bought us with a plan in mind and player investment can only be a portion of it.they have spent 100mil already in just over a year and i think they will follow suit in the summer with at least another 2 arrivals minimum.what they wont do is spend another 100 mil.they obviously realised january isnt a good time to do business and you overpay for players so they didnt bother.they want us to be in the cl so i think they will continue on a small scale every year till we do get back there.if we get our stadium dilemma sorted then the extra revenue will allow us to compete for top drawer players.few can rival citys spending power but we could definately compete with arsenal,chelsea and spurs.
the down side is that we are just a little over a year into that plan and its possible that we could hover mid table for another year or 2 while some ground is made on a stadium.long term i wouldnt be worried as they are no fools and realise that being midtable isnt going to attract new sponsors or indeed keep the current ones happy.they know where we need to be as a business and we just have to trust that they will get us there sooner rather than later.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:36 am

red till i die!! » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:02 pm wrote:

form is temporary and class is permanent and we just have to find ours again.
fsg bought us with a plan in mind and player investment can only be a portion of it.they have spent 100mil already in just over a year and i think they will follow suit in the summer with at least another 2 arrivals minimum.what they wont do is spend another 100 mil.they obviously realised january isnt a good time to do business and you overpay for players so they didnt bother.they want us to be in the cl so i think they will continue on a small scale every year till we do get back there.if we get our stadium dilemma sorted then the extra revenue will allow us to compete for top drawer players.few can rival citys spending power but we could definately compete with arsenal,chelsea and spurs.
the down side is that we are just a little over a year into that plan and its possible that we could hover mid table for another year or 2 while some ground is made on a stadium.long term i wouldnt be worried as they are no fools and realise that being midtable isnt going to attract new sponsors or indeed keep the current ones happy.they know where we need to be as a business and we just have to trust that they will get us there sooner rather than later.

Sometimes its hard to ignore the media because they are so powerful
Lets hope the owners have the good sense and balls to back KK and do what needs to be done
Thommo's perm

Postby parchpea » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:45 pm

We seem to have slotted into a blame culture where by its everyone elses fault but
our own and in particular the manager.

Whilst its convenient and comforting its not dealing with the situation head on and to
start blaming the media for Liverpools problems smacks of desperation.

We have made it hard work by buying poorly again but if we can get the right people
in and out this summer then we will start to see an improvement in results and an end
to the stick the club is getting due to poor performances.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:51 pm

One of the biggest problems is that in 2003 ish we identified the need for a new bigger stadium and extra funds to stay competitive in the long term.  9 years later and here we are with no new stadium and we've spent our first considerable sum of money in years.  Go figure. 

We can all blame big bad Rafa, Roy or Kenny all we want but our main problems have been off the field for years.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:41 pm

we've been "left behind" for the best part of twenty years on and off the pitch. we never made the most of the sky money when it came into the game. moores and parry were living in the dark ages.

anyway, the way the league is now it's in danger of becoming a rich mans plaything. there are only two clubs (arsenal and newcastle) who are not in debt. i've said it before, in time, every club in this league will be foreign owned and it will be a case of having to have a billionaire owner just to compete for the league. united will not be the same animal once ferguson goes. he's holding that club together.

oh and welcome back greenred :buttrock
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:46 pm

parchpea » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:45 am wrote:We seem to have slotted into a blame culture where by its everyone elses fault but
our own and in particular the manager.

Whilst its convenient and comforting its not dealing with the situation head on and to
start blaming the media for Liverpools problems smacks of desperation.

We have made it hard work by buying poorly again but if we can get the right people
in and out this summer then we will start to see an improvement in results and an end
to the stick the club is getting due to poor performances.

i`d say it`s the opposite, i`d say fans have been too quick to lay the blame on managers without taking other things into consideration.
look at roy evans, his teams played great attacking footy and he never finished out of the top 4, he was a bit unlucky in the sense that in his time in charge united probably had the best side in their entire history (uniteds side back then would wipe the floor with the side they have now) and arsenal probably werent far off theirs too (that was when arsenal had the `british` back 5 that george graham put together but also had viera and petit in midfield and overmars, bergkamp and annelka in the side too.)
roy was unlucky also because only the top 2 qualified for the CL back then so what would be considered a decent league finish and a successful season these days was faliure in those days. Roy was coming under pressure for finishing in a position where managers would get a pat on the back for finishing now. what let roy down was the defence but who`s to say if roy had got 2 or 3 more years that he wouldnt have been successful, ron yeats had just found big sami and the likes of owen (who started under roy) gerrard and carragher (who also started under roy) were coming through the ranks. 4 seasons in charge and in those 4 seasons he never finished outside the top 4, won the league cup and got to an F.A cup final, he wouldnt have been edged out these days with that record, especially with the footy we were playing.
funny enough arguably our best title challenge in the last 20 odd years came under roy, it was the infamous `4th in a 2 horse race` season where we led the league for most of the season and were neck and neck with united until the last 3 or 4 weeks of the campaign but then david james got the jitters and we imploded, even so on the last weekend of the season we were in 2nd place and 3 points ahead of the 3rd and 4th placed teams, CL qualification looked in the bag but somehow we lost badly and the other 2 sides won and we ended up 4th on goal difference.
we all know why the wheels came off benitez`s reign too, but the frustration of the fans ended up on rafa`s shoulders when the fans should have battened down the hatches and accepted we were going to be $h1te until the yanks went.
as a fanbase we`ve got more patience than most but i reckon if we had shown even more patience at times we could have been in a better position now.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby andy_g » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:48 pm

in my opinion there's a very real danger that we will get left behind. we don't have the champions league to attract established talent, we don't have a big stadium, we don't have a talented squad, our talisman and main global selling point is on the point of retiring.

the only way to avoid becoming a mid table club with only vague ambition of qualifying for europe is either some very shrewd signings of less established but talented players over the summer and/or finding a way to get the current bunch of players playing proper football. getting the stadium issue sorted wouldn't hurt either.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion