Will Liverpool be left behind?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:01 pm

tubby » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:51 pm wrote:
dawson99 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:03 am wrote:Another topic about how we need to spend more money and buy the league. We have spent enough, I don't want to buy the league, I want to win the league

Your living in a dream world mate. Today if you want to win the league you need to have good players, and good players generally cost money. You can't expect Kenny or whoever to buy joe bloggs for 6mil and then expect them to tear the leauge up only to throw the rattle out the pram when it doesn't pan out that way. Bottom line is you get what you pay for. Sure you may get some bargains here and there but you can't expect to build the whole squad out of bargains. This moneyball model cannot be applied to football. If you don't want us to spend money well that's fine, but then we need to lower our aspirations of where we want to finish.

this is spot on, what often gets forgotten in our glory years is the amount of money we spent and the amount of transfer records we broke to get, and stay, at the top.
shankly spent 2 and a half seasons in the 2nd division, he was struggling to get us out of the division until he convinced the frugal liverpool board that they had to spend to get success, we spent a small fortune on ian st.john and ron yeats and the rest was history.
we spent big money on the likes of peter thompson, tony hateley, john toshack and alun evans was a record fee for an under 21 player, as was ian rush, we payed a world record fee for an under 21 player when we signed him from chester which often gets forgotten, graeme souness cost a record fee for a deal between 2 english clubs and that was just a couple of months after breaking the british transfer record on kenny dalglish.
mark lawrenson was a record for a defender, peter beardsley was a british transfer record etc etc......we spent wisely to stay at the top but we also spent big.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Dirty Barry » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:42 pm

I don't think it's a particular strong league the results in Europe has proven that, a couple of decent signings & maybe a new manager we'll be in the mix for top 4, then we can start looking at the league, player for player our position isn't where it should be.

Realistically there is only 5 clubs capable of making top 4.
Dirty Barry

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:51 pm

every week i watch newcastle it just makes me even more depressed
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby RedAnt » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:56 pm

stmichael » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:51 pm wrote:every week i watch newcastle it just makes me even more depressed

Living in 'Boro and watching the Toon? Ouch. I'd be depressed  :grinning:
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby D___C » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:52 pm

stmichael » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:51 pm wrote:every week i watch newcastle it just makes me even more depressed

They are a team transformed. They played a certain (direct) way with Carroll and are reaping the rewards of offloading him on us and signing better replacements. Cisse looks a real talent. They play great stuff on the floor.

Signings are the key, and they destroyed us and enhanced themselves.

This time last year we were 12 points infront of them, they are now 14 points clear of us. A 26 point swing.

This is why i dont see them taking him back for a cut price fee of 12-15m, they would be crazy to go backwards (this is Newcastle though)
D___C

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:17 pm

D___C » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:52 pm wrote:

They are a team transformed. They played a certain (direct) way with Carroll and are reaping the rewards of offloading him on us and signing better replacements. Cisse looks a real talent. They play great stuff on the floor.

Signings are the key, and they destroyed us and enhanced themselves.

This time last year we were 12 points infront of them, they are now 14 points clear of us. A 26 point swing.

This is why i dont see them taking him back for a cut price fee of 12-15m, they would be crazy to go backwards (this is Newcastle though)

They are the surprise package, no doubt
Whod have thought that when they lost their manager and their best players they would reach the heights they have?
They have basically turned the atmosphere of no pressure to their advantage. They have an average manager with an average but unified team and loyal fans who have supported them through the bad times.
A lesson to be learned for sure.

By the way stop dreaming that Carroll is going anywhere babes
:;):
Thommo's perm

Postby D___C » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:48 pm

He won't be going back to Newcastle imo... there has been press speculation linking him with a return but i dont see them downgrading.

Cisse cost 9 million and is worth at least twice that now. They sold Carroll for 35 million and hes worth 12m. Newcastle are notoriously bad in the transfer market but they struck gold when we came in last January. They were a 12th place side going nowhere at that point, now look at them. Playing great football, knocking on the door of Champions League, and have some truly outstanding players. They have risen while we have fallen. Signings are key.
D___C

Postby parchpea » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:27 pm

Newcastle have been brave and made unpopular decisions but the right ones.

They fired a manager everyone liked and hired one nobody wanted. They then sold
their local hero and took the heat because it was right for the club.

These moves are things that simply would not happen at Liverpool because the public
cannot, and will not,stomach it. Maybe there is a lesson for us, in that loyalty does not
always pay, and the owners and management must not always play to the crowd and must
have the bottle to make big and unpopular decisions.

I am not saying it will work, but what I am saying is we have to be brave and not afraid
to make big calls that hurt us for a greater good if necessary.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:07 pm

parchpea » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:27 pm wrote:Newcastle have been brave and made unpopular decisions but the right ones.

These moves are things that simply would not happen at Liverpool because the public
cannot, and will not,stomach it. Maybe there is a lesson for us, in that loyalty does not
always pay, and the owners and management must not always play to the crowd and must

I am not saying it will work, but what I am saying is we have to be brave and not afraid

I dont know whether they were brave mate? The owner has made plenty of unpopular decisions including changing the name from St James Park
They have touched lucky getting Pardew and the players theyve bought while having low to no expectations on them. They have played to their strengths and Pardew has surprised everyone with his over achievement. The strikers are relaxed and happy and scoring for fun
The thing they have had great support through this season and its paid off.
Thommo's perm

Postby spiceboys2014 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:19 pm

We got left behind in 1990, and haven't recovered really.

Whoever has been in charge of the team since Kenny's last reign, Souness, Evans, Houllier, Rafa, etc one thing remains constant.....We are always out of the title Race by Christmas. Other than one season under Rafa, where we finished 2nd, we rarely have been in contention, and normally (like now end up 20/30 points behind the leaders, even when finishing 4th)

Something there is fundamentally wrong.
spiceboys2014
LFC Basic Member

Postby spiceboys2014 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:21 pm

Thommo's perm » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:07 pm wrote:
parchpea » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:27 pm wrote:Newcastle have been brave and made unpopular decisions but the right ones.

I dont know whether they were brave mate? The owner has made plenty of unpopular decisions including changing the name from St James Park
They have touched lucky getting Pardew and the players theyve bought while having low to no expectations on them. They have played to their strengths and Pardew has surprised everyone with his over achievement. The strikers are relaxed and happy and scoring for fun

They are probably relaxed as they got promoted only a season ago, and the Geordie fans are probably greateful just to be in the league, that's why they play with no pressure. When Carroll, Adam and the boys signed for Liverpool, i think they new it was a different atmosphere and expectation.

Clueless!
spiceboys2014
LFC Basic Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:32 pm

spiceboys2014 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:21 pm wrote:
Thommo's perm » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:07 pm wrote:

They are probably relaxed as they got promoted only a season ago, and the Geordie fans are probably greateful just to be in the league, that's why they play with no pressure. When Carroll, Adam and the boys signed for Liverpool, i think they new it was a different atmosphere and expectation.

Clueless!

Are you really picking on me?
:laugh:
Carry on...
Thommo's perm

Postby spiceboys2014 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:21 pm

Well start supporting Liverpool FC then.  :eyebrow  :eyebrow
spiceboys2014
LFC Basic Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:31 pm

spiceboys2014 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:21 pm wrote:

you should start listening to your own advice
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby spiceboys2014 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:39 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:31 pm wrote:
spiceboys2014 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:21 pm wrote:

you should start listening to your own advice

And you also. :nod
spiceboys2014
LFC Basic Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion