Will Liverpool be left behind?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dawson99 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:03 am

Another topic about how we need to spend more money and buy the league. We have spent enough, I don't want to buy the league, I want to win the league
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boxscarf » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:21 am

dawson99 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:03 am wrote:Another topic about how we need to spend more money and buy the league. We have spent enough, I don't want to buy the league, I want to win the league

It's time to face facts, teams who want to rise to the top of English football need to spend money. It's not 'buying' the League title, because if that was the case then Manchester City would have won the league last season and would be well in front this season. We either spend money on players, or carry on being largely mediocre, the choice is yours.
Boxscarf

Postby dawson99 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:37 am

Boxscarf » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:21 am wrote:
dawson99 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:03 am wrote:Another topic about how we need to spend more money and buy the league. We have spent enough, I don't want to buy the league, I want to win the league

It's time to face facts, teams who want to rise to the top of English football need to spend money. It's not 'buying' the League title, because if that was the case then Manchester City would have won the league last season and would be well in front this season. We either spend money on players, or carry on being largely mediocre, the choice is yours.

And how much did we spend last season?

It's not about spending money, its about getting the right mix of players and management. We have proved that money don't buy sh!t except the carling cup. It's just a cheap excuse saying we just need to throw more money at the problem.
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:06 am

We can develop a team based on the Arsenal model but it still
goes back to money when a club like City start cherry picking your
players.

One way or another you have to pay, either in transfer fees or ultimately
big wages on long contracts.

Arsenal have a great model which our owners seem keen to emulate but
truth is they feed players to bigger spenders and will never win the  league
until they take a financial gamble.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:10 am

parchpea » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:06 am wrote:We can develop a team based on the Arsenal model but it still
players.

How do Arsenal have a great model, when did they last win ANYTHING?

I thought football was about winning stuff?
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:32 am

dawson99 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:10 am wrote:
parchpea » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:06 am wrote:We can develop a team based on the Arsenal model but it still
players.

How do Arsenal have a great model, when did they last win ANYTHING?

I thought football was about winning stuff?

KK has won more trophies in one year than Wenger has in 7 years
:laugh:
Thommo's perm

Postby Mick Una For Captain » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:33 am

"Will Liverpool get left behind" - It's not a case of will they, the fact is they have been left behind.

There is no chance that Liverpool will finish above Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea in the foreseeable future. Even Arsenal, with their policy of selling their best players, are currently out of sight. If Tottenham can keep hold of their best players (Bale, Van der Vaart, Modric etc) and even improve with a couple of players in the summer, then Liverpool won't finish in the top 5 again next season.

If you're happy with a league cup every few years then carry on.
Mick Una For Captain
LFC newBie

Postby parchpea » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:40 am

Arsenal are way ahead of Liverpool so dont kid yourselves.

You only have to take one look at their stadium and the quality
of players that pass through there.

You would have to be completely blinkered not to see they are a
better side than us and have been for a number of years despite
the cup comparisons.

Wenger is also a superior manager to Dalglish.

Again, we go back to wearing the rose tinted specs and frankly
its difficult to move anything forward with biased views and a
complete denial of where we are in the football pecking order.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:44 am

parchpea » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:40 am wrote:Arsenal are way ahead of Liverpool so dont kid yourselves.

the cup comparisons.

From a financial point of view Arsenal are ahead of all, but football ain't about balancing the books, it is about winning things. And even the CC is more than ol ratboy has done lately. If you want to make top 4 and make money for shareholders every year but win nothng then what is the point?

You ask any arsenal fan if they are happy to be making money but winning nothing and they will punch you on the nose and call you silly.
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kukilon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:15 pm

I'm not afraid of us getting left behind from a footballing perspective because that is something that can be turned around in a few years time. What scares me more is getting left behind on the economical arena... with that I don't mean from a "sugar dad" perspective. We can't afford putting off the expansion/new stadium for any longer because it will make it almost impossible for us to catch up in the long run.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:22 pm

parchpea » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:40 am wrote:Arsenal are way ahead of Liverpool so dont kid yourselves.

the cup comparisons.

you wouldn't have been saying that 4-5 weeks ago. wenger was getting the same level of stick as kenny is now. that's how quickly things can turn around in football. i saw no signs of them turning it round when they were 2-0 down against spurs in the same way as i can't see us turning it around now.

also they are not significantly better than us imo. they are merely a team playing with way more confidence than us. they also happen to possess the best striker in the league bar none who if we had, would have us in the top 4. reina, agger, skrtel, johnson, enrique, lucas, gerrard and suarez are better than anything they've got, van persie aside. we absolutely played them off the park a few weeks ago and should have battered them out of sight in the first half. i still can't believe we lost that game.

and to say they've been better than us "for a number of years" is garbage aswell. we finished above them several times under rafa.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby tubby » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:51 pm

Your living in a dream world mate. Today if you want to win the league you need to have good players, and good players generally cost money. You can't expect Kenny or whoever to buy joe bloggs for 6mil and then expect them to tear the leauge up only to throw the rattle out the pram when it doesn't pan out that way. Bottom line is you get what you pay for. Sure you may get some bargains here and there but you can't expect to build the whole squad out of bargains. This moneyball model cannot be applied to football. If you don't want us to spend money well that's fine, but then we need to lower our aspirations of where we want to finish.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:52 pm

stmichael » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:22 pm wrote:
parchpea » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:40 am wrote:Arsenal are way ahead of Liverpool so dont kid yourselves.

the cup comparisons.

you wouldn't have been saying that 4-5 weeks ago. wenger was getting the same level of stick as kenny is now. that's how quickly things can turn around in football. i saw no signs of them turning it round when they were 2-0 down against spurs in the same way as i can't see us turning it around now.

also they are not significantly better than us imo. they are merely a team playing with way more confidence than us. they also happen to possess the best striker in the league bar none who if we had, would have us in the top 4. reina, agger, skrtel, johnson, enrique, lucas, gerrard and suarez are better than anything they've got, van persie aside. we absolutely played them off the park a few weeks ago and should have battered them out of sight in the first half. i still can't believe we lost that game.

and to say they've been better than us "for a number of years" is garbage aswell. we finished above them several times under rafa.

Come on mate that's ***** and you know it. They know how to pass and attack. We struggle to do either at times, look how Sh*t we have been at home.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:35 pm

Not so long ago Wenger had lost the plot and was getting the sack because arsenal were in danger of being relegated
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:39 pm

Thommo's perm » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:35 pm wrote:Not so long ago Wenger had lost the plot and was getting the sack because arsenal were in danger of being relegated
:nod

not to mention the binbag protest where their fans put binbags over the seats to signify that they werent prepared to put up with the rubbish being served up on the pitch.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion