Will Liverpool be left behind?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby babu » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:49 pm

In addition to Andy's post, the club needs to more for its official global supporters clubs. I've seen support from the club drop progressively over the last 12 years.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:28 pm

babu » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:49 pm wrote:In addition to Andy's post, the club needs to more for its official global supporters clubs. I've seen support from the club drop progressively over the last 12 years.

Agree, they are totally disorganised in that respect and we must lose so much income by not seeing the bigger picture. We could fill an extra 3-5,000 seats a game if the club coordinated discounted seats + discounted hotel and airfare deals. Y'know it aint difficult to use a bit of common sense but LFC do their best to live in the dark ages. And that of course is why we should go for a 70,000 seater stadium and not a 60 or 65,000 seater.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mart » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:59 pm

stmichael » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:41 pm wrote:
anyway, the way the league is now it's in danger of becoming a rich mans plaything. there are only two clubs (arsenal and newcastle) who are not in debt. i've said it before, in time, every club in this league will be foreign owned and it will be a case of having to have a billionaire owner just to compete for the league.

This is imo the most worrying trend in the league. The premier league should take some lessons from the german league. They have changed things around there in the last few years and atm its probably the most exciting league in europe. They might have trouble competing for the most expensive players, but more teams are able to compete and from the fans point of view it doesnt cost an arm and a leg to go see a match.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:29 pm

mart » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:59 pm wrote:
anyway, the way the league is now it's in danger of becoming a rich mans plaything. there are only two clubs (arsenal and newcastle) who are not in debt. i've said it before, in time, every club in this league will be foreign owned and it will be a case of having to have a billionaire owner just to compete for the league.

This is imo the most worrying trend in the league. The premier league should take some lessons from the german league. They have changed things around there in the last few years and atm its probably the most exciting league in europe. They might have trouble competing for the most expensive players, but more teams are able to compete and from the fans point of view it doesnt cost an arm and a leg to go see a match.

as an overall package, the german league is the best in europe imo. as you say, cheap tickets (150 euro's for a season tickets at bayern), brilliant stadiums with great atmospheres, clubs with no debt, no foreign ownership and the league also averages the most goals per game. they have had four different champions in the last four seasons.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:06 pm

anyway, the way the league is now it's in danger of becoming a rich mans plaything.

do you ever think there will be a european superleague someday?
there might be no option if clubs have to spend ludicrous money to compete and what the tv rights alone would pay for that most clubs would snap your hand off to join it.foreign owners have no real loyalty and for them the decision would always be to follow the money.
it could very well be the next stage of the games evolution and could very well happen imo.
back when we last won a title id say the whole squad along with bonus's combined wouldnt come close to what rooney earns a week so in that sense money has already ruined the game.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby mart » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:58 pm

red till i die!! » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:06 pm wrote:
anyway, the way the league is now it's in danger of becoming a rich mans plaything.

there might be no option if clubs have to spend ludicrous money to compete and what the tv rights alone would pay for that most clubs would snap your hand off to join it.foreign owners have no real loyalty and for them the decision would always be to follow the money.
it could very well be the next stage of the games evolution and could very well happen imo.
back when we last won a title id say the whole squad along with bonus's combined wouldnt come close to what rooney earns a week so in that sense money has already ruined the game.

The big clubs have put pressure on the champions league and made it into a big clubs league. UEFA caves in to their demands because they are afraid the big clubs will create their own superleague if they dont.

Imo some day the fans will have to say enough is enough and try to change the direction where the sport is heading. Atm its more about money and squeezing the fans dry than about the sport itself. But football fans are too loyal and the clubs know it. The premier league will be a plaything for the rich for many years to come.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby roberto green » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:13 pm

greenred » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:14 pm wrote:While clubs such as Man City are splashing the cash,fighting to win the title,Liverpool are drawing at home,losing away and basically getting worse.Soon,clubs will come and snap up our best players such as Suarez and Lucas.We are gradually falling behind and I'm afraid to say,unless our owners put more investment into our club,we will become just another ''average'' club.

Don't worry cos I'm sure we have other emerging British players on the horizon who Carra & co will approve of, Don't worry we will soon be Stoke City mark 2. We will lose Pepe and Suarez in the summer when we should be adding to quality rather than replacing with ***** British players.
roberto green

Postby dundreamin » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:53 pm

The cause of are recent demise were them pair of t.wats Gillette and hicks they put us back years.let's remember we reached 2 champions league finals and a semi final 4 years. Them pair of ba.staffs almost bankrupt us and we were VERY LUCKY that FSG bought us look what happened to Leeds and Portsmouth that could of easily been us. So thank god for small mercies we shall return to the top but people need to be patient especially the younger I want it now fans. We shall get there YNWA
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby friendlyguy33 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:07 pm

Ajax and AC Milan among others have had their barren and less good times. We'll be back and hopefully very soon.
friendlyguy33

Postby Boxscarf » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:26 pm

Ajax's main problem is that it's a feeder club to the rest of Europe, you'd never believe that Ajax has won the Champions League four times.
Boxscarf

Postby Boxscarf » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:41 pm

People could also argue that Liverpool has been left behind for the past twenty two years. This club has always been afraid of embracing the changing culture of football, instead we've always stuck to our guns about always being traditional and honest and our Owners have always been afraid to go against the grain and upset the fan base. This is stark contrast to United's owners who have no problems upsetting their supporters, just as long as United is operating smoothly, the club is still challenging and they (the Glazers) are getting their share of the revenue that club generates, everyone is happy, except from certain supporters who want the Glazers out, of course, but you can never please everyone.

This club is still recovering from the shambles it was left in by the previous American owners and this season has seen a monumental amount of money flushed down the toilet on average/underperforming players. Let's hope these players find the kind of form they showed for their previous employers next season and let's hope that Kenny, or whoever the manager might be gets things right in the transfer market and we make big strides forward in the league next season. Being a cup team is a fantastic, I love seeing us win cup competitions, but it is time that this club started focusing on the League. A league title would give this club such a lift and would propel it to new heights. Once we win it for the first time in over two decades, then I believe we'll win it again and again and again. It's just getting past that first hurdle, but I trust that FSG will get us there, eventually.
Boxscarf

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:03 pm

It depends on the timeframe. In the long-run, by virtue of the club's stature, I would back us to bounce-back to being in a position of challenging for the top spots. In the foreseeable, though, we are faced with a massive challenge of breaking into a very competitive top four and I think the risk is that we underestimate the scale of that challenge. The longer we go without making serious progress in the league and the longer we go without CL football, the harder it becomes to maintain a squad capable of challenging for the top spots. That's when mediocrity threatens to set in.

On the other hand, if we make the CL, it not only brings in revenue and increases our ability to attract better players, but it means we'll have made real progress in our performances that are reflecting in our league position. To do that we will in all likelihood need to finish ahead of two clubs from Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea, and that'll be a tall order. They're all facing challenges, too, but I think we've got more work to do than all of them, provided they don't lose key players. I think our problems run somewhat deeper than those who think we're a clinical finisher away from achieving the progress we need. Yes, to some extent our results haven't reflected the quality of our performances, which for a large part of the season were generally quite good in most respects but utterly in adequate in the most important aspects of the game; creating quality chances and scoring.

In so many games we've repeatedly failed to capitalise on the strength of our possession, and in so many of them it's cost us dearly. You can't score less than lower mid-table sides and claim it's simply a case of bad luck, or of one striker underperforming. The problem is much greater and to achieve our goals, we need to confront the fullness of it. The stat's prove that our wingers and midfielder haven't scored anywhere near enough goals or gained enough assists, and the games themselves show this lack of cutting edge, too. How many times has Downing cut to shoot only to disappoint? How often has Henderson gone completely missing from games? How many set-pieces has Adam failed to produce from? That's why I feel we don't just need a new striker, but a winger or two, and a midfielder. If the other players improve in the meantime, great, but don't bet our season on it. If we do, I think we'll remain outside the top four.
LFC2007

Postby Boxscarf » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:11 pm

We need a Pablo Aimar in our midfield, he tore Chelsea apart last night, it was fantastic to watch, the little guy is a proper playmaker, he just makes things happen. Someone in that mould, but younger, Suarez and a 20+ goals a season striker up front would be a deadly trio when gelled together.
Boxscarf

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:27 pm

red till i die!! » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:06 pm wrote:

i think there will be a european super league one day but it wont be called that, it will just be called league 1 or the first division or something.
politically it`s looks to me like the countries of europe are being forced together to make a european superstate, it might take 50 years or 100 years but some time in the future liverpool, barcelona, milan etc wont look at each other as foreigners, they`ll look at each other as someone from texas regards someone from nebraska or michigan or something.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:41 am

stmichael » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:29 pm wrote:
mart » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:59 pm wrote:

as an overall package, the german league is the best in europe imo. as you say, cheap tickets (150 euro's for a season tickets at bayern), brilliant stadiums with great atmospheres, clubs with no debt, no foreign ownership and the league also averages the most goals per game. they have had four different champions in the last four seasons.

We could have 150 euro season tickets as well mate if we had a 70,000 seater.  A full house 60,000 seater = higher prices.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion