Will kewell be sold? - I bleeding hope not

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:58 pm

kazza wrote:
stmichael wrote:massively improved last season after most (myself included) had written him off. however his inability to stay fit for long periods and his ridiculously high wages mean that i'd be tempted to get rid if a decent offer came in.

if anybody offered 6 million, i'd snap their hands off.

He only improved once Australia qualified for the World Cup. I think his resurgence was due more to him wanting to be fit for the World Cup rather than any obligation he may have felt towards Liverpool, the team that paid his wages.

My prediction is he will have a poor season again. Hopefully not but I don't think so.

When kewell gets injured, he's faking it....when he does play, and performs on the pitch, he's doing it for someone else?

The guy can't f*cking win.  :no
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:02 pm

wee_boi888 wrote:This is a post on RAWK with an article by David Maddock from the Daily Mirror - none of this post other than this first sentence is by me :P

I know that the Mark Gonzalez work-permit saga has been discussed elsewhere, but bear with me. Because I think David Maddock has outlined a reasonable thesis in today's DAILY MIRROR:

RAFA Benitez was handed the key to his summer spending war chest last night when Mark Gonzalez was finally granted a work permit to play in England.

The Chile winger will now officially join the Liverpool squad, and that will allow the Anfield boss to sell off a number of players, with Harry Kewell likely to be the highest profile casualty.

Gonzalez was overjoyed last night to hear that the Department of Work and Pensions had granted his application, a year after he was turned down.

Benitez's entire summer transfer plans were based on the assumption that the Chile international would get his work permit.

The Liverpool boss needs funds to bring in his top two targets, striker Dirk Kuyt of Feyenoord and Seville rightsided midfielder Daniel Alves, who between them will cost £20million.

Liverpool have the money to buy one but Benitez must sell to raise the cash for the other, and it seems that the arrival of Gonzalez will offer him the leeway to sell players.

The winger who has been on loan at Real Sociedad for a year will be an automatic first choice on the left of midfield, which means that Kewell will be forced to play a bit-part role or leave Anfield. The latter is likely and Benitez will hope to raise funds from the sale of the Australian. Already, Bayern Munich and Tottenham have shown an interest.

Benitez will also hope to sell defenders Djimi Traore and Jan Kromkamp, while Dietmar Hamann has gone to Manchester City.

Already, the Liverpool boss has offloaded Fernando Morientes to Valencia for around £2million, along with youngsters like Zak Whitbread, David Raven, Robbie Foy and Darren Potter.

The Anfield chief will also finally get rid of long-term loan players like Bruno Cheyrou, Salif Diao, Anthony Le Tallec and Florent Sinama Pongolle this summer, freeing up funds to make his move for his top two targets.

Benitez was clearly delighted with the arrival of Gonzalez yesterday.

His performances in Spain's La Liga attracted interest from the likes of Real Madrid, and Benitez has revealed that he has already turned down bids for the winger that offered to double his initial outlay.

He said: "Mark is a player the supporters will like to see. He is an exciting left winger who can cross good balls and beat defenders."

Gonzalez said: "I have always said I wanted to play for Liverpool, and even when I had to wait a year I still wanted that more than anything.

"The manager showed faith in me by signing me and waiting for me, and I want to repay that."

The hiatus on some fronts (notably Alves and Kuyt) has certainly been frustrating. But even though everybody was pretty confident of Gonzalez getting his work permit this time around it makes sense that we did not act precipitatively. Now that we have Gonzalez active, with a fit-again Zenden as capable back-up, perhaps it will make sense to cash in on Harry "never-doubted-his-ability-but-what-about-the-commitment" Kewell?

The MIRROR's Maddock is generally regarded as having good contacts within the club. And this piece does at least seem to have some logic to it, rather than the usual slung together bits of rubbish you see in the tabs.

When did Potter and Foy leave, and what how does getting rid of Kewell and replacing him with Gonzalez have any baring on potenitally getting rid of Krompkamp, that article is a load of rubbish.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:05 pm

He is on 60,000 a week, struggles with injuries all the time and is only going to get worse in terms of his physical condition. If someone gives us 6 Mil and wants to take his wages on it would make sense to sell him.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:08 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:When did Potter and Foy leave.

???  Potter hasnt left he's back at Liverpool cause Southampton didnt want him.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:10 pm

That’s what I thought, what a cr@p article.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:11 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:That’s what I thought, what a cr@p article.

:D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DonnieDarko » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:53 pm

I really like Harry Kewell in that there is no one more dangerous (besides stevie G and maybe Luis Garcia) than him when he is on his game. Against Tottenham and Chelski in the FA quarterfinal he was brilliant and made me love everything good about the game.

However, if someone will offer 6m+ i think we should accept. I don't really think its a problem with commitment. He seems for the most part to put in a lot of effort especially this year. I just think he isn't as durable as Stevie G., Carra, Alonso, or Finnan. It seems that Kewell always gets niggling injuries rather than a lot of bad ones like Cisse that cause his performances to dip. Anyway, I am a big fan of Harry Kewell but we should sell should the right offer come. I for one hope he goes to Tottenham.
DonnieDarko

Postby corsocomo » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:27 pm

Injuries galore just make him a liability to the squad, and his team-mates never know when he is gonna "snap it" again! This can never be good for the team no matter how talented he is. Being injured 3-4 times a season definitely damages the stability of our team, especially if we're on a "roll".

I really hold him in high regard, but for the good of our club, let's cash in on him when there's still a remote possibility of another team wanting him. I can picture him going for nothing in the future cos of his reputation for recurrent injuries. The problem is - who'd wanna pay his salary?
corsocomo

Postby redmikey » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:01 pm

we have just got kewell back to his best where he is putting in top preformances week in week out and some people are thinking about selling him ,

speedy is going to need time to adjust to the epl style, as all imports do ! but kewel can do a good job on the right as well

the prince will stay for a while yet ( ans i say that after giving the lad some royal stick the season before)
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:12 pm

i'm not against selling Kewell for a good price...i'm against selling him and either having our team depend on a player whose unproven in the Premier league (Gonzalez) or a player who isn't good enough on the left (Zenden).

we need 2 Left wingers for the season...Kewell and Gonzalez are those 2 men.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kalos » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:32 pm

A while back I posted about the fact that we were very nearly able to field two good (or better than good) players for each position. On the left.Gonzalez (permit permitting  :oh: ) and Kewell

To compete with Chelsea do you think we need to see Zenden /Riise coming on as sub to play on the left or Speedy/HK....?

The answers obvious isn't it...?  ???
kalos

Postby Mark 23 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:46 pm

Depends, It is rumoured that Kewell will be out for at least 6 weeks with his latest injury, I see him playing less and less as his body ages.  He just just isn't durable enough to play in the Premiership, week in week out, and especially considering the wages he commands.
Mark 23

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:31 pm

Good or NOt .... that's is NOT the main issue but we have to sell him before he becoming like scimer.
LiverpoolMadman

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:23 am

LiverpoolMadman wrote:Good or NOt .... that's is NOT the main issue but we have to sell him before he becoming like scimer.

Ahhh scimer.  What a player he was!  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Mark 23 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:17 pm

LiverpoolMadman wrote:Good or NOt .... that's is NOT the main issue but we have to sell him before he becoming like scimer.

Good point, and with having this new fella at left back, who is capable of getting foward, I think we best get shut of Kewell now.
Mark 23

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion