Wild sissoko - Please explain

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:59 pm

el_stinger wrote:Stevie was much the same. He was a wild tackler, rash challenges, constantly got booked, injured players etc. He will calm down, and start to play some elegant and passionate football. I think he is trying to hard at the mo, he really wants to show how much he is willing to spill blood for the club.

Stevie wasn't "much the same" at all. He had a few wild tackles every now and then but he didn't look like he'd get booked every game and he was a completely different class of player. Always has been, always will be.
115-1073096938

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:12 pm

He's a good player and can be a better player maybe better than PV or Makalele. His role in CM "sit in front of back 4 " , win tackle , win the ball, keep the ball and pass it. Improve that he would be world class player.
LiverpoolMadman

Postby neil » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:20 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:Your just lucky to live where you do,

don't tell him Stu, just leave at that.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:24 pm

stu_the_red wrote:He done nothing except practically dominate every midfield battle he had in his first ever season for Arsenal at 20 years old and was a massive part of the reason they won the league.

Well i tell you what lad, go and ask an Arsenal fan how good he was when he came through.

Stu is right about Vieira. While he was very much in Petit's shadow in 1998 he was still immense at the age of 20 and made a bigger impact then that Sissoko has now.

Sissoko is a good player, will probably develop into a very good player but I doubt he'll ever be seen as world class. He will iron out many of his weaknesses and rough edges but he simply doesn't have the same footballing ability as Vieira.

Sissoko will probably go on to match Vieira physically, but even at a young age when Vieira was not as strong physically as he is now, Vieira had an excellent short passing game, something Sissoko doesn't have.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:32 pm

Sissoko is currently like a grape (not a current) in that he is fresh, raw and new. He's young and needs to taught the way of the english game. He's already being touted as "not" the new Viera (because we all know how wrong it can gowhen you say certain youngsters are the next someone) and he couldn't be learning from a better bunch of central midfielders. If he can get the tackling qualities from Didi, the passing and culture from Alonso and the all round quality from Gerrard, he could trurn out to be one of Liverpool's most important signings, though we shall have to give him time. The question is whether this grape will turn into a fine wine or just vinegar.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:41 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:Sissoko is currently like a grape (not a current) in that he is fresh, raw and new. He's young and needs to taught the way of the english game. He's already being touted as "not" the new Viera (because we all know how wrong it can gowhen you say certain youngsters are the next someone) and he couldn't be learning from a better bunch of central midfielders. If he can get the tackling qualities from Didi, the passing and culture from Alonso and the all round quality from Gerrard, he could trurn out to be one of Liverpool's most important signings, though we shall have to give him time. The question is whether this grape will turn into a fine wine or just vinegar.

Or simply become a better grape. Which is what will happen. :)
115-1073096938

Postby El Nino_#9 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:42 pm

when sissoko plays he reminds me of a little kid playing footy!
just chasing the ball no matter where it goes. he is so determined.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:46 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
The Ace1983 wrote:Sissoko is currently like a grape (not a current) in that he is fresh, raw and new. He's young and needs to taught the way of the english game. He's already being touted as "not" the new Viera (because we all know how wrong it can gowhen you say certain youngsters are the next someone) and he couldn't be learning from a better bunch of central midfielders. If he can get the tackling qualities from Didi, the passing and culture from Alonso and the all round quality from Gerrard, he could trurn out to be one of Liverpool's most important signings, though we shall have to give him time. The question is whether this grape will turn into a fine wine or just vinegar.

Grapes left as grapes tend to rot, whereas after refinement they can become priceless commodities.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:03 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:

Grapes left as grapes tend to rot, whereas after refinement they can become priceless commodities.

We are the grape vine, when Sissoko reaches 23/24 he'll be ready then to be picked on a regular basis. He'll never be a great player though. He's a very good one at the minute, he could become excellent, he'll never be class though. I hate the way everyone referes to good players as "class".
115-1073096938

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:14 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
The Ace1983 wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:

We are the grape vine, when Sissoko reaches 23/24 he'll be ready then to be picked on a regular basis. He'll never be a great player though. He's a very good one at the minute, he could become excellent, he'll never be class though. I hate the way everyone referes to good players as "class".

I agree with the whole "class" thing, but I disagree with you on whether Sissoko will be a great. Firstly, I think that these sort of players don't fully mature until they hit 25/26 which unlike other possitions gives them the luxury of time as the learn. Secondly, I don't believe that you can always successfully predict how a player will trun out. A teenage Shevcenko was turned down by harry Redknapp at West Ham because he lacked potential and Thiery Henry was just a par left winger before Wenger got hold of him. These are just two examples, and extreme ones at that, but it goes to show that we can never know for sure how a young player will turn out. Will he wither like a grape left too long on the vine or produce wonderful bouquet to wow us all?
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:49 am

If Sissoko is a grape, does that make Vieira a raisin?? Old but Tasty? :D
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:50 am

I disagree with you on this one Stu. It is ridiculas to write off a player at his age, he has intensity and drive that you cant teach. If he becomes competent in his distribution then I can see him being as good if not better than Viera (not comparing them as players, but comparing their worth and impact on a team).
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion