Why martin o'neil is the wrong choice! - He's out of his depth at lfc.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat May 29, 2004 1:03 am

who cares?

whats that gotta do with anything? ???

we're talking about O'Neil.

Its a bit of an insult to Ferguson to compare the two at this stage of O'Neil's career.

Mind u i supose insulting Ferguson is the done things round these parts :cool:
115-1073096938

Postby woof woof ! » Sat May 29, 2004 1:04 am

stu_the_red wrote:We need proven class players not potenial

You see Stu , this is a prime example of why I get Fkd off with the "experts" in here.
I seem to recall you defending all the "POTENTIAL" that was brought into this club over the past few years.
Now your saying "we need proven class players not potential"
Make up your mind.
:(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby mrcool2003 » Sat May 29, 2004 1:05 am

its got everything to do with it

Ferguson managed aberdeen (scottish side)
o'neill is managing a scottish side

ferguson went to man utd
o'neill possibly to liverpool, so as you can see thats the same thing

so all these arguements about he hasnt done much at celtic so he shouldn't be considered for the liverpool job is rubbish
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Sat May 29, 2004 1:05 am

Stu give us options And for goodness ske do't include Houllier, Give us your top five and why?
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat May 29, 2004 1:10 am

You see Stu , this is a prime example of why I get Fkd off with the "experts" in here.
I seem to recall you defending all the "POTENTIAL" that was brought into this club over the past few years.
Now your saying "we need proven class players not potential"
Make up your mind.

Quote me.

Theres nothing wrong with potential. But theres a time and a place for it. The time and the place isn't the most important summer ever in this clubs history.

Al, i don't have a top 5.

If i did...

Benitez... by a long way. He's proven he's got what it takes and knows the spanish league well. He has great players like Gerrard and Owen to work with and i'm sure he'd get the best out of them tactically which would make us able to compete with anybody.

Mourinho second, simply for what he's done with porto.

3rd... toss up between O'Neil, Curbishley and McLaren.

But the latter three haven't done the business and proven it yet.

Whoever it is i will support and give the same chance as Houllier to earn support.

If its not Benitez though i will be gutted.
115-1073096938

Postby woof woof ! » Sat May 29, 2004 1:14 am

stu_the_red wrote:Quote me.

Yeah , like I REAllY want to read all your posts again. Are you suggesting that you NEVER supported the potential stars that Houllier bought ?
???

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby JohnBull » Sat May 29, 2004 1:52 am

Shanks hadn't done it,Paisley hadn't done it, King Kenny,as a player hadn't done it,before Valencia Benitez hadn't done it,Fergie hadn't done it etc etc etc
Hustler & Stu you don't half talk crrrrap
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Sat May 29, 2004 2:23 am

I agree with that JohnBull.Shankly came to us from Huddersfield.Paisley,Fagan and Dalglish had no managerial experience.Ferguson came from Aberdeen,Wenger from Japan.Most of the great managers were given a big break at one point in their careers.My personal feeling is that O`Neill is due a big break and Liverpool is the club that should give it to him
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sat May 29, 2004 6:33 pm

I kind of agree with Stu that if we had a choice I would go for someone like Benetiz over O' Neill, but I think that the likes of The Hustler, Owzat and Stu (and all those other people who don't like O' Neill) are kind of missing the point.

I'm a big supporter of O' Neill but I can't say for certain that he would be a success at Anfield. I think he would be a huge success, but I wouldn't put my house on it.

If the minimum preequisite for success was to sign someone that has a proven record you would never see Ferguson, Wenger, Benetiz, Mourinho in their current jobs. For example, plenty of people describe Scotland as a mickey mouse league, so Ferguson's achievements up there should be discounted in some people's opinion. Likewise Wenger's achievements in France.

Past success is no guarantee of future success: Louis Van Gaal failed miserably at Barcelona despite having amazing success at Ajaz, Marcello Lippi failed at Inter Milan despite an unblemished record at Juventus, Ferguson failed as Scotland manager, Cloughie lasted a month at Leeds, Venables has failed almost everywhere since he has left the England job, Tony Cottee bombed at Everton when they broke the bank to sign him, Gary Birtles scored one goal for Man UTD after they spent £1million on him 25 years ago.....I could go on and on for ever.

There are many different criteria for selecting a manager, and perhaps the most important criteria is past achievements. But there are other criteria as well, such as hunger, mentality, intelligence, charisma, contacts, personality, temperment etc.

As for Martin O' Neill I think people are being extremely unfair on him. He has done about as well as he can with the resources available: his achievements in Europe are remarkable. Yet begrudgers always point to Celtic's elimination to Villareal, being knocked out in the 1st stage of the CL etc. Remember the guy has had to work with second rate cast offs from the Premiership and has somehow moulded a team.

One last point: those people who claim Martin O' Neill likes the long ball obviously don't watch Celtic that often. Sure, they occasionally hit the ball long to Sutton and Hartson and they like to release the ball early, but they certainly don't hit as many long balls as we did under Houllier.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 84-1083280474 » Sun May 30, 2004 11:15 pm

i agree...signed Dalglish
84-1083280474

Postby Santa » Mon May 31, 2004 5:56 am

Good post JBG, at least I can agree with most of what you say. Past achievement do not guarantee future success. There must be a good fit, which is why some are worried about Maurinho being linked with us (although his success over the past 2 years is nothing short of phenomenal).
I won't mind O'Neill as manager seeing how he got the best out of these bunch of 2nd rated players and with limited resources. Imagine what he can do with resources and support at his disposal.
In all, I can't see past Benitez or O'Neill being given the job at this moment.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mrcool2003 » Mon May 31, 2004 10:46 am

i totally agree john barnes granny, i back them
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fritzylfc » Mon May 31, 2004 10:52 am

bring back toshack,
fritzylfc

Postby Big Niall » Mon May 31, 2004 12:41 pm

Any new manager is a risk and it is always better to get a proven manager as that reduces the risk. If we cannot get a proven manger in a top league, then O'neill could be a new ferguson, he may also be a new Souness. There are no guarantees.

Will guys like the hustler stop adding "FACT" after an opinion, it is NOT a FACT that O'Neill would be out of his depth, it is your opinion.

As I said in another thread, O'neill had the balls to be the first catholic captain of northern ireland, and in the world cup too, even now in glasgow he has rangers fans putting union jacks in his garden. The guy can take the abuse and pressure that would come with the LFC job.

there are no guarantees but all he is missing is success in a top league, maybe he'd get at LFC, maybe not. The comparrisons with Ferguson and Souness are both valid.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon May 31, 2004 12:56 pm

I agree with Big Niall.

O' Neill could be another Ferguson or he could be another Souness.

Chances are he'll most likely be somewhere in the middle.

However, just because Souness failed does not mean we should automatically write O' Neill off.

If you are going to pick holes in O' Neill for managing in Scotland then you could pick holes in every managerial candidate.

I agree that O' Neill occasionally gets hyped by the media but that in itself is not a reason to write him off. He has far more plus points to minus points in my opinion, and his lifestory has proved that he can handle pressure.

There's no guarantee that he's our messiah, but then you can't say that about any of the other candidates as well.

Another point: people say that O' Neill is working in a mickey mouse league where the top two are in a league of their own.

He'll feel right at home then in the Premiership.
Last edited by JBG on Mon May 31, 2004 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion