Why isn`t riise playing ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:20 pm

Has wrote:
Owzat wrote:So we should include Riise for what reason - sympathy? On form he is terrific, but he is neither a good full back nor a good winger - we have to have players in the team who are good in whichever position. I would have him in the squad though

People have called him brainless, said he is not good enough to be at Liverpool ans saying anyone should be in the team instead of him, I bet they weren't saying that at the end of his first season.

Well funnily enough I have never called him brainless and if you're referring to me saying "anyone but Riise" in an XI, that was specifically left-back. Just because he didn't make the XI, you're reading far too much into it  :O
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:07 pm

supersub wrote:Sadly,Riise has become a victim of the GH philosophy,by-pass the midfield with a big boot upto Heskey and Owen.This syndrome has affected Hyypia,Henchoz,Traore,Vignal to name a few.It's no coincidence that when Heskey leaves the field the ball stays on the ground,and to a degree the same can be said when Owen isn't playing.The team have to keep the ball and pass it through the midfield.

yes very true. LFC isn't playing passing game at the moment at all...can't make it to the top if u don't know how to keep possesion and pass the ball around. Go back to the basic Houl!!
whylongball?

Postby JBG » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:11 pm

Riise has suffered a major dip in form and confidence.

What marked him out when he first came was his strog running into the opposition half. He's a powerful athlete and he caused teams a lot of problems when Liverpool counter attacked as he was very good at supporting the front players. He scored two important goals for Pool in this fashion: away to Arsenal in 2002 and earlier that season against Bayern Munich in the Super Cup. He also scored a similar goal against Everton that year.

Since then Riise has lost confidence and when he recieves the ball he is happy to knock it long, and this makes him look like a journey man player.

I would have Carragher in ahead of Riise but Carragher isn't the long term answer either.

One good game against Newcastle doesn't make up for one very poor season (2002/03) in my mind, although I'd always keep Carragher in my squad.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion