Why hasn't rafa filled in the gaps in the squad?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:10 pm

Liverpool are all set for a busy day tomorrow with a press conference to bring the club's new signings up-to-date to the press. Jose Reina, Mark Gonzales and Antonio Barragan have already been revealed as new signings, announced at the press conference on Monday to unveil Bolo Zenden. At that press conference Rafael Benitez mentioned "two or three" other players that were set to sign this week, all being well. As well as those, there'll also be a lot of PR from Steven Gerrard as he puts pen to paper on his brand-new deal.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ynwa » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:19 pm

i dont no more light weights being bought like kewell or smicer
walk on walk on with hope in your heart
rafalution
18/5
god is back
ynwa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:37 pm

I think the boss is doing a decent enough job right now. Zenden, Gonzalez and (most likely) Figo adresses the obvious lack of width in the team. A new keeper was a 'must' which has now been covered. The young full-back gives us another option if Finnan is injured during the season. We still have a way to go before the season starts proper and the club maybe waiting to secure Champions League footy (as was the case last year) before spending all their money. I would be very surprised if we don't sign a quality centre-back + a striker in the next month. Have a bit of patience.

I'm a little concerned about the left-back slot but i figure the Riise will drop back to play there more regularly this season. The had a fantastic season at left-mid last (although i'm not convinced he is a full-time winger) season and i believe he can give us just as much production bombing forward from the left-back slot next season.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liamac » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:38 pm

All in all the way the signings are lining up  its going to be a very different looking team from the 2003-4 season  , far more of an attacking game  with loads of permutations   and bags more quality .......... Last year was a transitional year  and we all  knew that , now Raffa is buying  the type of players he wants to see  in a Liverpool shirt and i cant frigging wait  for the season to start :p :p
liamac
LFC Super Member

Postby ALONSO_14 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:43 pm

im not worried or doubtin rafa or anythin like that but where are the new signings before the end of the week? im anxious to find out who we are gettin!
LIVERPOOL FC- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2005
                        EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS, 5TH TIME WINNERS
                        ISTANBUL
ALONSO_14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:48 pm

i think upson will be one ,for the cb role,milito is never mentioned in the papers as much as upson,there,s talk he is stalling on a new improved contract at birmingham.
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Rafa Revolution » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:55 pm

im not worried or doubtin rafa or anythin like that but where are the new signings before the end of the week? im anxious to find out who we are gettin!

so are all of us :D
Bill Shankly after beating Everton in the '71 cup semi : "Sickness would not have kept me away from this one. If I'd been dead, I would have had them bring the casket to the ground, prop it up in the stands and cut a hole in the lid."
Red Rafa Revolution

Postby desperado0831 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:42 pm

A attacking midfield indeed.

Pablo Aimar could figure us the solution. Go and grab him Rafa.
Reds is the sacred colour before this world was born.

desperado0831

Postby L-type » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:52 pm

We don't need aimar, he simply doesn't fit into any midfield with Garcia, Gerrad, Hamman, and Alonso.  Also for elft back we also have Steven Warnock who impressed last season and hopefully can steal some more playing time this season.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby desperado0831 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:01 pm

Try this out...

Reina

Finnan   Welsh   Carra   Riise
Garcia   Alonso   Gerrard   Zenden
                 Aimar
                 Cisse
Reds is the sacred colour before this world was born.

desperado0831

Postby Fernando Morientes > 19 < » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:59 pm

We got Mohammed Sissoko
"He is the player that Liverpool have been looking for." - Ian Rush
Fernando Morientes > 19 <
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dosserboy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:17 pm

desperado0831 wrote:Try this out...

Reina

Finnan   Welsh   Carra   Riise
Garcia   Alonso   Gerrard   Zenden
                 Aimar
                 Cisse

Welsh, centre back? He's a bit on the short side at 5'6!
dosserboy

Postby A.B. » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:22 pm

If I recall correctly the transfer window doesn't close until the 30th of August. Today is July 8th.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Starbridge42 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:36 pm

Exactly AB I think maybe some people are under the incorrect impression that if the players arnt signed in time for our first champions league qualifier they wont be elligible for the champions league at all.  Lets have some patience we have close to two months before the window closes. 

Oh and I've always been under the impression that Welsh is a midfielder ???
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby steven-lfc-forever » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:01 pm

Fernando Morientes > 19 < wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:A back up for Hamann  :laugh:  Well Gerrard and Alonso are available when didi isn't playing .  :nod

Traore has or is about to sign a four year deal , I think Rafa see's the LB position pretty much covered .

A backup for Didi is Senegal's Salif Diao. You should not forget that he is still an LFC player.

hahaha lol mate you've made my sides hurt there

diao.....get rid of him and we will almost be rid of houlliers baggage
steven-lfc-forever

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion