Why? - Djimi Traore

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Effes » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:01 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
Hoodfella wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:Also, why the :censored: did he drop Alonso, our second best player for one of the hardest games we'll play all season?

I dont know the reasoning behind playing Djimi, but I would hazard a guess on Alonso.

I think he looked at the game, and the threat of it being a very physical one (not that he cant hold his own!) and as I think he sees Alonso as the 'Key' to our team and the tempo that he wants us to play at (which of course further makes you think, 'Why'!) that he wanted to save or rest him, and not risk him getting injured.

I have noticed, that if Rafa is going to rest one of our two key players (Xabi/Stevie) he tends to rest Xabi first and foremost.
Which in my mind, tells its own story!

Tells what story?? Because you can take it either way. Either Rafa rests Alonso more because its too risky to leave out Gerrard or that  he rests Alonso because he values Alonsos fitness more?

I think the former, Gerrard is different that Alonso is so many ways but the biggest difference is creating goals Gerrards recent run in form and scoring goals proves to me that he is more important player than Alonso. Thats why IMO Rafa rests Alonso more often than Gerrard

Rafa has said that he believes Stevie G can play two games straight after each other
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 72-1136150807 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:19 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
Hoodfella wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:Also, why the :censored: did he drop Alonso, our second best player for one of the hardest games we'll play all season?

I dont know the reasoning behind playing Djimi, but I would hazard a guess on Alonso.

I think he looked at the game, and the threat of it being a very physical one (not that he cant hold his own!) and as I think he sees Alonso as the 'Key' to our team and the tempo that he wants us to play at (which of course further makes you think, 'Why'!) that he wanted to save or rest him, and not risk him getting injured.

I have noticed, that if Rafa is going to rest one of our two key players (Xabi/Stevie) he tends to rest Xabi first and foremost.
Which in my mind, tells its own story!

Tells what story?? Because you can take it either way. Either Rafa rests Alonso more because its too risky to leave out Gerrard or that  he rests Alonso because he values Alonsos fitness more?

I think the former, Gerrard is different that Alonso is so many ways but the biggest difference is creating goals Gerrards recent run in form and scoring goals proves to me that he is more important player than Alonso. Thats why IMO Rafa rests Alonso more often than Gerrard

Fair enough, thats how you see it, but I call it the other way.

I think Rafa knows SG is physically stronger and seems to have a bit better stamina than Xabi, and thats the reason (IMO) that he can get to rest Alonso and keep him fresh. Because although Xabi is almost completely adjusted to the Prem, he has come froma slower league in La Liga, and also the way he plays the game, he makes the ball do the work, which is quite the opposite to the swashbuckling Gerrard's style.

But I think that when it comes to big games, if there is one person RAFA (not me, Rafa) wouldnt want to be without, it is Alonso.
Now to the majority of us, this would be sacrilege, and we would want Gerrard as that person. But as we have seen, Rafa is different and isnt one for going with the crowd...Simple example, the purchase of Crouch.

In my heart of hearts, I really believe that although Rafa works his teams in to exactly that, 'TEAMS' and units within that team, I think he feels Xabi is key to this. Ie; He links between the defence and midfield with fluidity, yet still gets stuck in, and has the real handy (spanish) habit of breaking up play (when needed!) but without getting booked. This again will go unnoticed by some.

I mean, you may not agree with my opinion, everyman to their own and all that, but when you take into account the poor showing without Alonso in the first half and then the complete change in the second half and the equaliser coming from an absolute sublime pinpoint pass to little Luis, I think there is reason behind Rafa tending to rest him more...To kep him safe.

This is not a one off, it happened at Fulham last season (I was there, he was just TOO GOOD that day!) and as soon as he was injured by Fat Frank, surprise surprise, our all round form was poor.
Then when he comes back into the fore, we look solid again, with a definitive tempo to the team and balance.
For me its no coincidence that we play best when Xabi plays.
And I think Rafa knows this too.

Now we all sing the praises of Gerrard and his versatility and also humility playing down the right, but would he be able to play there (considering he is a driving force type centre mid) if we didnt have Alonso.
Yesterday, is evidence that it would not be able to happen, and WORK, without Alonso sitting in the middle.

Personally, I dont think Xabi gets as much praise as he should at times, and this is simply becuase as I said above, he makes the ball do all the work, and makes simple things look like kids play, and hard things look simple!!

And guess what, thats what Rafa tends to like isnt it?
72-1136150807

Postby JC_81 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:53 pm

Traore is :censored: bollox and that's all there is to it.  Awful in the air for a six-foot plus player, awful distribution and positionally naive.  Most importantly his team-mates clearly don't trust him.  That's where the problem lies, he puts the other defenders off their game.  Hyypia has to cover so many of Traore's :censored:-ups that he forgets what his own job is.

Yesterday he got caught wrong side of Diouf for their goal, but did that surprise me?  :censored: no.  He's done it before and if given the chance he'll do it again.  Can't be trusted. 

Benitez puzzles me here.  A fantastic manager but why did he pick Traore yesterday?  Warnock and Riise can't both have been knackered surely?  In fact why do we have 3 left backs anyway?  Get rid of Traore, he's bloody useless.

I'm not saying we'd have won the game yesterday if Traore hadn't played, but it can't have helped.  Can anyone seriously sit there and say Traore is good enough for a team aspiring to win the league in the near future?
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:08 pm

Traore - Burnley game

summed up in two words
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm

Judge wrote:Traore - Burnley game

summed up in two words

Cruyff turn into his own net - a world's first.... and last.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:20 pm

Effes wrote:
Judge wrote:Traore - Burnley game

summed up in two words

Cruyff turn into his own net - a world's first.... and last.

perhaps, i should add, gets caught with the ball too often.

he frightens me whenever he gets the ball, and his tackles leave me scared also. He seems to wait until the opposition is in the box, then fells them  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby welshred » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:30 pm

Reina should of been able to catch the ball first time around before hyypia knocked it out of his hands but everyone makes mistakes which brings me to the build up of that goal in the first place what was Finnan doing, he had plenty of time to knock it back to the keeper or keep it in and find a team mate to pass to :(  BTW Icant believe Traore is still wearing the red shirt of liverpool, the lad is just not good enough i would rather rafa give Alan Kennedy a pay as you play contract and have him play in that position.
welshred

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:41 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:Also it was clear why Rafa played Traore. The whole team selection was based on a physical edge. Sissoko, Hamann, etc. Traore was pick for his height. SSN pointed out the fact that a massive number of Boltons goals come from set pieces and long throws

Yes so Rafa plays the only defender in english football to get consistently beaten in the air by Shaun Wright-Phillips. ???
115-1073096938

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:17 pm

Although he wasn't directly at fault for the goals yesterday i was shocked when he was in the starting line up, Traore like Josemi before him is a liability and a mistake will come soon enough with him in the team.
I know we had played 3 games in quick succession but he should not be even close to the lfc first team.

I hope Rafa can see after yesterday that the whole stability of the team suffers when Djimi is in the team.
Barring injuries i would NEVER pick the lad.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:31 pm

I dont understand why riise has been dropped.

Traore and warnock are constently being caught out. Its frustrating really.
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:32 pm

warnocks better than traore, imo
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:34 pm

Traore = bag of w@nk
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:38 pm

ACE VENTURA - nice banner. Do you really look like that iguana on the shoulder ? :D  :D

happy new year
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jammydodger » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:23 pm

Stu, you're a very accomplished poster and do post alot of sense, but sometimes you talk absolute tripe. The midfield decision was right, as was the decision to play Traore. As much as i dislike the lad, i can't;t fault him for his play yesterday, he even showed that he does posess a small attacking threat. I think Benitez decision to play the more physical lads was the right one and it showed with the Bolton playes scared to enter tackles with us and instead resorting to diving.
jammydodger

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:28 pm

Judge wrote:ACE VENTURA - nice banner. Do you really look like that iguana on the shoulder ? :D  :D

happy new year

Haha nah i'm the red parrott mate.

The banners quality isn't it.

All the best to you mate.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion