Whose been our best outfield player this season? - I think opinion's will be split on this

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Whose been our best outfield player this season? - I think opinion's will be split on this

Glen Johnson
4%
Jamie Carragher
3%
Emiliano Insua
1%
Dirk Kuyt
19%
Lucas Leiva
19%
Javier Mascherano
32%
Yossi Benayoun
8%
Steven Gerrard
4%
David Ngog
No votes
Fernando Torres
10%

Total votes : 73

Postby anti-hero » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:25 pm

Kuyt.

for being played out of position, and having egg nog selected ahead of him for that lone striking berth, and having to play night in and night out - would have made many an ordinary player burst out in twitter angst.

but he keeps quiet about it, and goes about giving everything he has.

night in, and night out.

dirk kuyt is a legend.

-----

if only we gave kuyt more time in his preferred role, maybe things would be a little bit different. you cant deny his ability to score those goals that give us those ugly 1-0's.
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:15 am

Emerald Red wrote:Mascherano, hands down. Though Lucas has been admirable playing alongside him also, but Masch is in a different class to him. Give him the armband, Gerrard doesn't seem up to it this season.

what have you got against Gerrard? he's been the captain and to focal point of this club for God knows how long and you want to replace him? im sure that will do his confidence the world of good
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red H » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:30 am

It would have to be  between  Lucas and Mascherano, which considering I don't think they should always play in the same side (I think it makes us a bit too workman like, and not creative enough), says much for our season.  Really expected more form the likes of Aquaman, Riera, and Kuyt, and I think that has been the main problem.  Yossi deserves a mention as well, always gives his best, and gives us many options from the start or off the bench. I would go for Lucas, mainly due to the improvement, and because of how much his performances have changed the opinions of the fans. 
Depressed me a bit though, really needs to be Gerrard or Torres, or we're going to be in trouble.
Also the flashes we see from Babel make me wonder why we can't get more out of him, such potential, but I wonder if it will ever be fulfilled at our club.
Red H

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:58 am

kuyt just about pips masch imo.
not a big fan of his but in torres's absence he has won us a few games.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:21 am

Fowler_E7 wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:Mascherano, hands down. Though Lucas has been admirable playing alongside him also, but Masch is in a different class to him. Give him the armband, Gerrard doesn't seem up to it this season.

what have you got against Gerrard?

Nothing, other than he's been absolutely f*cking sh*te this season. At times he doesn't seem he can be annoyed. I'd give Mash or Carragher the armband until he rediscovers the kind of passion he used to have playing for us. Either that, or drop him back into the middle because playing in the hole isn't working out for him this year.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:13 am

This is a difficult one because for the players I thought that were performing well, they were injured most of the time. ie Johnson and Torres. So, can't judge since not many were able to perform with consistancy the whole season. Some say Lucas and to some degree, I concur but he is no MVP. I would have to say Mascherano as he simply out muscle, out tackle and out complaining to the ref :D and has been a force in the middle. His linking up had also been improved as we weren't able to see this side of him when we still have Alonso.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby Sir Roger » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:59 am

If ever there was an indication to how bad we are now and how low weve sunk look at the players and statistics in this thread.
What a Fu*king shambles
:(
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby fivecups » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:32 am

Emerald Red wrote:
Fowler_E7 wrote:

what have you got against Gerrard?

Nothing, other than he's been absolutely f*cking sh*te this season. At times he doesn't seem he can be annoyed. I'd give Mash or Carragher the armband until he rediscovers the kind of passion he used to have playing for us. Either that, or drop him back into the middle because playing in the hole isn't working out for him this year.

Accepting that we don't know how much injury interfered with his decision I have to agree with ER here. I think this is the worst season he's had at Liverpool. Initially I was sure he was injured but if he was I think they would have operated after he went off against Reading.

I was watching the City game last night and I think he's fed up with the quality around him. He constantly exudes frustration at his fellow players and seems to be go through the motions. I think he's trying to get up for it but he can't, as said, theres no real passion. I'd actually like to see someone else given a go as captain even Gerrard would accept it, but I don't think he would. I think it will just increase the likelihood of him leaving in the summer.

Mascherano out in front in the poll which is somewhat unexpected given the frustration when he courted Barcelona in the summer and poor form when his country were struggling for world cup qualification. He's been in good form recently though, apart from getting booked and sent off a lot.
Last edited by fivecups on Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:04 am

Lucas for me.It shows how bad we have been in the mere fact that I have picked Lucas, but fair play to him for his consistency on being just a bit better than average but better than the rest because of his ever presence in the team.
roberto green

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:12 am

Yossi for me, he just seems to try so hard every game. Put's his heart into it
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:20 am

From the 3 out in front:

Mash: Great form at the moment, typified by a good performance against city last weekend. He doesn’t score much or have many assists, but his tackling, workrate and passion make up for that. His major downside is he picks up too many cards, and this is something he needs to work on. – But for me he’s still streets ahead of lucas. One thing I have noticed a lot more recently he is becoming more comfortable on the ball. Against city he was looking for the ball, and when he got it, went striding forward with it before passing it to a red shirt. He was really trying to start the break on quite a few occasions, and getting more positivity into his game. He is getting better at this and wouldn’t be surprised if he migrated to a box-to-box midfielder over the next few years

Lucas: Come on in leaps and bounds over the last year. Was a bit of a waste of space in his early career at Liverpool, but is improving. However he is still prone to giving away silly freekicks in our own half in nearly every match. His passing has improved but it still has a tendency to play the “easy” pass be it forward, sideways or backward and he still gives the ball away a little to often. He’s a good little player, and has improved  a great deal – I just don’t think he’s quite the Liverpool Football Club standard if we want to go and win the league (but that’s just my opinion)

Kuyt: A funny one. Scores some incredibly important goals, works is socks off, will bleed for this club, and every team should have one kuyt. However his downside (which isn’t his fault) is that when he is off form – he’s sh.ite! – I mean really shi.te. He has the touch of a rapist, and couldn’t control the ball if it was tied to a rope he was holding, and looses the ball more than anyone. But when this happens, Rafa doesn’t sub him off, or rest him for the next game, he plays through the bad patch which can sometimes last 4 or 5 games, when he should really have been benched and someone else given the chance on the right. His form this season has been that way. He had a purple patch wher he got 4 goals in 4 games, but just prior had a period of 1 goal in 10 games and was really really bad.

So… my man of the season so far… Javier Mascherano
Last edited by Redman in wales on Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:40 pm

Isn't if funny that we have all been complaining about Rafa playing 2 holding midfielders all season but it is the 2 which are leading the way in the best player category
roberto green

Postby Owzat » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:55 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:
LittleHobo wrote:must be a poor season cause i look at all those players and think "none"

It is a poor Season so pick one and don't be pedantic  :D

I have to say my instincts said none has really had a standout season, so I went with Kuyt simply because he has produced nine goals in 27 Premiership appearances which is up to if not better than his standard last season even if he gets a lot of unjustified flak. Gerrard has been out and not near his best, Benayoun likewise on the injury front and Torres too despite having a storming start to the season so he's still in credit over last season.

CBs have not had a great season, Johnson has been injured but done ok. Mascherano isn't my cup of tea in terms of players, too many red cards and bookings. Lucas has had a decent season, but a stand out one? Aquilani has yet to really 'arrive' as it were, Insua had a poor start but has picked up, and N'Gog has scored some goals, but went eight without a goal and scores mainly against ordinary sides, so for me Kuyt wins it by default of noone having much of a stronger case.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:56 pm

roberto green wrote:Isn't if funny that we have all been complaining about Rafa playing 2 holding midfielders all season but it is the 2 which are leading the way in the best player category

that's because they are good at what they do - but it doesn't mean its good for the team.

We have not scored more than 2 goals in a match since 26 September 2009. (29 games!)

In the same time period utd have scored more 2 goals in 15 games.

Playing the two best players of the season in the same team is pointless if they do the same job - thats why people complain - less breaking up the play - more creating the play.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:57 pm

roberto green wrote:Isn't if funny that we have all been complaining about Rafa playing 2 holding midfielders all season but it is the 2 which are leading the way in the best player category

Mascherano despite having eight yellow cards and two red cards is perhaps there by virtue of "cult status".
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion