16%

Total votes : 25

Postby brian cresswell » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:30 pm

i agree with owzat
and at least roy evans had the balls to admit it was time to go
brian cresswell

Postby gaz31 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:14 am

GH WINS THIS ONE EVEN THOUGH HE IS A tw#t :p
When you get the ball, I want you to beat a couple of men and smash the ball into the net, just the same way you used to at Bury," said Shankly. Lindsay replied: "But Boss that wasn't me, it was Bobby Kerr." Shankly turned to Bob Paisley and said: "Christ Bob, we've signed the wrong player."
gaz31
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:00 am

Houllier inherited a team with Matteo, Carragher, James, Redknapp, McManaman, Fowler, a young Owen and one or two other decent players.

James? Haha... yeah great. McManaman? You're having a laugh, don't you remember his performances in the last 2 seasons? Redknapp? Average player.

He inherrited 4 kids in Carragher, Matteo, Murphy and Owen aswell as Robbie Fowler. Hardly a class squad.

If you can't see Houllier is twice the manager Evans was you are being pathetic and Petty.
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:24 am

I'd say that Houllier shades it over Evans due to trophies won, but honestly his league record is no better than Evans' and relatively speaking we are further behind the leaders now than we were in Evans' day.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Big Niall » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:44 am

The league and Champions league are the only 2 trophies that count nowdays for top clubs. Both managers failed to win a meaningful trophy and are failures.

People will hate it, but in the "treble" year I agreed with the Manu fans that it was an imitation treble. I mean the FA cup can be won by Coventry, Wimbledon and even Everton and it it was the luckiest one ever, the better team lost. Beating a team I never heard of in the UEFA final (by an OG) and the worthless cup (on penalties against a D1 team) which Manu and Arsenal didn't take seriously.

Only a fool counts that charity shield and European Super cup as trophies worth mentioning.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:09 am

redknapp and mcmanaman average players! this is coming from stu who thinks traore and vignal are good players, thats a good one
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zackboxer » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:57 am

I'd have to give it to Gh on the number of trophies he's won compared with Roy Evans.
I was reading an interview with Roy Evans the other day though and he said one of the biggest problems he faced was attracting top players as there were only 2 CL places available then. Might not have made any difference but he'd have qualified for the CL every year in it's current format and given the same financial backing as GH to bring in top players may have been more successful.
zackboxer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:04 am

Evans was a weak manager whose team ultimately failed and lacked bottle on the big occasion but if the CL format of today existed in Roy Evans' time I think he would have had a lot more success as the club would have become richer and would have been able to attract a better type of player.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:35 pm

Does anyone seriously think we are in a stronger position now then when Evans left? If Houllier goes this summer he will leave behind a club at its lowest ebb in over forty years.Our premiership credentials have been torn to shreds,we are a laughing stock to mancs and cockneys,our european reputation is history,we are fighting a constant battle to keep our top players.Evans was no managerial genius but at least he was one of us.He knew when his time was up and he knew when to walk away,unlike Houllier.

My vote goes to Roy Evans because he left the club in a better state then Houllier will leave it in.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:47 pm

greenred wrote:Does anyone seriously think we are in a stronger position now then when Evans left? If Houllier goes this summer he will leave behind a club at its lowest ebb in over forty years.Our premiership credentials have been torn to shreds,we are a laughing stock to mancs and cockneys,our european reputation is history,we are fighting a constant battle to keep our top players.Evans was no managerial genius but at least he was one of us.He knew when his time was up and he knew when to walk away,unlike Houllier.

My vote goes to Roy Evans because he left the club in a better state then Houllier will leave it in.

Yeah , the once mighty "Fortress Anfield" is now just a knocking shop and it's the fans not Foolier who are getting fkd.
:(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:48 pm

greenred wrote:My vote goes to Roy Evans because he left the club in a better state then Houllier will leave it in.

Exactly. Given half the money Kermit has had, Evans could have sorted the defence. Houllier inherited our best striker in Owen and also inherited the heart of our midfield ie Gerrard, Houllier gets far too much credit
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:59 pm

GH spent a lot of money on mediore talent. Evans was not given this much of money. GH & Evans were never on equal ground.

2001 was great. But look where we are now ? I don't think we have been further away from the team immediately on top of us (ie... manure) as we are now.  :angry:
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:42 pm

One simple question, did we ever finish (possibly) 35 points behind the champions any year Roy was at the helm?

Said B4, Sunderland were relegated a few years ago when they finished 34 points behind the champions.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion