Who should we bomb out? - Several players have not impressed......

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby lost_prophets » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:19 pm

selling hamann would be kind of harsh even though he is getting older, all these years he is a loyal player who does all the dirty work at the back... and he is no problematic player, i would hope that he will retire at lfc instead...

it would be players like diao and nunez who gotta go, i just don't see how much they can contribute to lfc in the future...
lost_prophets

Postby stmichael » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:53 pm

LiverpoolMadman wrote:Look the Arsenal now, I mean their reserves starting from Gael Clichy, Philippe Senderos, Emmanuel Eboue, Francesc Fabregas, Mathieu Flamini, Kolo Toure, Robin Van Persie and Jeremie Aliadiere.

fabregas, toure and van persie are hardly reserve players.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ciggy » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:13 pm

Whos going to pay 5 mill for Diouf?
And your saying Traores worth 1 mill and Diao 3 mill ??? Traores played well latelty, dont know if he will be here next season but hes worth more than Diao who only cost us 1 million.
And if Kewell doesnt get back to his old self whos going to pay 4 and a half million for him?
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:16 pm

Liverpool Madman - £3m for Biscan and £5m for Diouf, I don't think there are managers out there half as stupid as GH. We'd be lucky to get £3m between them.

We should keep Pongolle and HK should be given a 1 year warning.

Most of the others including Hypia and Hamann are not really up there any more (most never were).
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:06 pm

Biscan is leaving, he would of left during the window but he decided to stay to help us see through our injury crisis.

Le Tallec - should be held onto untill we figure out where he stands in our squad

Smicer - Keep him and hopefully we can keep a good rotation of wingers, exchanging the out of form players for fresh legs.

Nunez - He has impressed me at times and was only denied goals by blatant handballs in the box.  He's desperately unlucky to have no goals to his name. 3-4 is a closer number to where he could be at.  We also need his service and hopefully other aspects of his game will improve.

Diao and Diouf should be sold.  Get what we can.  Possibly 3 mil for Diouf and some pocket change for diao.  Time to clear the way

Keep Hamman - I heard a good idea of letting him pass on ideas to our younger players.  We are simply a more composed team when he's on the field.

Kewell - Keep him, he won't do us wrong.  He'll bounce back next season or whenever in a rich vain of form

I would list who we should buy, but I can't figure that out untill we sort of Steven Gerrard's future.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:15 pm

I think Nunez and Traore can be good essential squad players. Garcia needs time, he has played better than he has before and is improving.

Selling Hyypia and Hamann is out of the question. You can't sell your old broke down car if you don't have the money to buy a better one, same thing here.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby L-type » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:17 pm

A.B. wrote:I think Nunez and Traore can be good essential squad players. Garcia needs time, he has played better than he has before and is improving.

Selling Hyypia and Hamann is out of the question. You can't sell your old broke down car if you don't have the money to buy a better one, same thing here.

well in this case they aren't "old broke down cars" they are just old, and they are in pretty good shape.  I think that makes them classics and ups their value.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:19 pm

Until we find a better player than Hamann then we don't sell him. We have Alonso and Gerrard but we need another class midfielder such as them because of injuries.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Tobin*LFC* » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:51 pm

we wouldnt have a team left ???
You'll Never Walk Alone..
Tobin*LFC*

Postby chindianred » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:44 am

yep get behind every player and when summer comes the picture wud be clearer there's little else we can do apart form that, players who cud do some improving are :
1. luis garcia - has good ball skills and eye for goal but MUST
keep things simple and not be too elaborate, be more direct
2. traore - has shown flashes of defensive brillance but more often makes kindergarten errors, keep things direct, no nonsense
3. biscan - run for the ball more
4. nunez - direct play suit him, chase 50-50 balls
5. dudek - just BELIEVE in himself, he is talented
6. baros - not be hesitant, decide asap when to link or shoot
    [ but hey, he's working real hard:) ]
7. kewell - has to get his WHOLE act together or else .. sigh~
8. hamann - get more aggresive
everyone's a critic eh, including me. easy when we're just watching .....
   ???
then again is is LFC
expectations r always high
just keep up those lung bursting runs for 90+mins per game
and we'll find little to sulk and grumble about
YWNA
chindianred
chindianred

Postby Homebooby » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:31 pm

It's an old story regarding Kewell, but in fairness to the lad, he has never been allowed a fair chance to overcome his injuries. Hopefully he'll get the ops he needs now and be given a chance to shine.  I have a lot of faith left for him.

The big area that we need to concentrate on next season is the defence as far as I am concerned. Sure we could use an extra striker and maybe a midfielder, but we need to make our defense inpenetrable. It worked in the old days for us and it is working for Chelsea and Everton, worked for Arsenal and Man U in the past as well. Arguably, both Chelseas' rise to the top and Manu and Arsenal falling from grace can be traced back to their defensive changes in personnel. Even when Houllier was doing well it was down to a great defensive structure.

Riise and Carragher I am happy with. The verdict is still out for Josemi....he dives in too much for my liking. The old pairing of Hypia and Henchoz are long gone. Since Henchoz has been out of the frame, Hypia has looked far from the stable force that he once did. We need to start ensuring that there is someone that can take over from him as he isn't getting younger.

As for Dudek, he is just the victim of a long list of decent keepers that have been ruined at Anfield. When he first started for us, his confidence and ability was a breath of fresh air compared to the insecurity and dodginess of Westerveld. 3 yrs on and we have almost the same situation again.  In Dudek we have a quality keeper and I am still hopeful that Benitez is capable of bringing the confidence back out in him.

That said, we can't be relying on kirkland to be backing him up or even better, competing for a place. From what I have seen so far, he is destined to be tagged one of the those players whose career has been blighted by injury. Great talent, but almost never fit. I am sure I am not the only one who holds his breath every time he's going for a 50/50 ball. That feeling must be there in the defence as well and you can have that. The back four need to know that the keeper is solid. So I would like to see a new signing there.

The question of a new forward really depends on whether Cisse will ever really recover. Looking at how it broke and how he almost lost his leg, I personally don't hold out much hope for him.

As stated, we need to bring more people in before we start throwing out who we already have. Diao, Diouf and a few of the other midfield chaff can go. How much we get for them is less important than how much we are paying them on a weekly basis over a season to do F ALL.

50000*52 = 2, 600,000. Take that as an average for these guys (ok, maybe a little less), but any money lost in transfer is easily gained back.
Homebooby

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:37 pm

Homebooby wrote:It's an old story regarding Kewell, but in fairness to the lad, he has never been allowed a fair chance to overcome his injuries. Hopefully he'll get the ops he needs now and be given a chance to shine.  I have a lot of faith left for him.

stop making excuses for him. he should have had an op in the summer, instead of ignoring surgeons advice and swanning off on holiday with his bird.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Homebooby » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:42 pm

stmichael wrote:
Homebooby wrote:It's an old story regarding Kewell, but in fairness to the lad, he has never been allowed a fair chance to overcome his injuries. Hopefully he'll get the ops he needs now and be given a chance to shine.  I have a lot of faith left for him.

stop making excuses for him. he should have had an op in the summer, instead of ignoring surgeons advice and swanning off on holiday with his bird.

This is a hole in my understanding then. I thought that he was denied a chance of the right op by Houlliers regime. I thought he always got a patch job, instead of really sorting out the problem. If I am wrong, I stand corrected, I admit to not being the most up to date on all the goings on.

U agree with the rest of it though St. Mick? ;-)
Homebooby

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:47 pm

i agree with what you are saying regarding the defence. sami isn't going to be around for ever and we need to be looking to bring in a young, quick centre half for next season. we still concede far too many goals. when was the last time we kept three clean sheets on the trot?

ledley king would be ideal but inevitably he'll be overpriced and i also think that his move to arsenal is virtually a done deal.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Homebooby » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:05 pm

stmichael wrote:i agree with what you are saying regarding the defence. sami isn't going to be around for ever and we need to be looking to bring in a young, quick centre half for next season. we still concede far too many goals. when was the last time we kept three clean sheets on the trot?

ledley king would be ideal but inevitably he'll be overpriced and i also think that his move to arsenal is virtually a done deal.

does anyone have any sort of idea what our transfer fund looks like by any chance?
Homebooby

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion