Who else do we need? - Weak areas,replacements

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:58 pm

when I think of "up front"  in our team that means "the Torres role,"  are you saying that you think David Silva could play in this role for our team???  I don't think he would offer a different demension at all, it would be the same dimension, only (HOPEFULLY) executed better/more consistently

Its also very possibel that "we aren't going to be able to spend big" PERIOD. Who knows if we have the money in the coffers to even buy Silva.

Considering Torres injury record, how we compete in multiple competitions, and have a chance at winning them, we can offer a very attractive package that very few teams can. Surely it would look appealing so somebody with some talent.  Players like Guiza and Llorente are not going to displace Torres or Villa anyway, and might look more legit to make a WC squad if they have shown that they can handle the pressure of playing at a big club and in big games.  And it would be very likely in times when we NEED a goal late, we would bring them on as an extra striker and then they could put "experience partnering Fernando Torres" on their CV, which has got to look impressive to someone picking a Spanish (or any country really) world cup team.
JoeTerp

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:59 pm

JoeTerp wrote:Is he a better footballer than Yossi and Riera, probably, especially for potential, but so what? Its all about how big are these margins, and how much do we have to pay to get this much marginally better, when we have other needs.

Agree with that Joe. We have to get a proper backup striker in who can lead the line, along with a proper CB. It seems clear enough we're in for Turner but he could well cost a fortune - leaving Hull would leave them in the mire, but we haven't heard anything convincing on the forwards situation. You mentioned Dean Ashton there in one of your posts and I'd have him every time. Not going all stu the red or anything, but he'd be a good solid backup.
LFC2007

Postby tubby » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:04 pm

Yeah but he is a sicknote too. We should try for Tuncay.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:05 pm

JoeTerp wrote:when I think of "up front"  in our team that means "the Torres role,"  are you saying that you think David Silva could play in this role for our team???  I don't think he would offer a different demension at all, it would be the same dimension, only (HOPEFULLY) executed better/more consistently

Its also very possibel that "we aren't going to be able to spend big" PERIOD. Who knows if we have the money in the coffers to even buy Silva.

Considering Torres injury record, how we compete in multiple competitions, and have a chance at winning them, we can offer a very attractive package that very few teams can. Surely it would look appealing so somebody with some talent.  Players like Guiza and Llorente are not going to displace Torres or Villa anyway, and might look more legit to make a WC squad if they have shown that they can handle the pressure of playing at a big club and in big games.  And it would be very likely in times when we NEED a goal late, we would bring them on as an extra striker and then they could put "experience partnering Fernando Torres" on their CV, which has got to look impressive to someone picking a Spanish (or any country really) world cup team.

and yet any striker knows that we prefer one up front and torres is that main guy so a striker would be brought in for back up - no striker with ambitions to go to the world cup with a big country ie a guiza or llorente etc will come to us plus it would mean spending 15 mil plus on a back up ? sorry would rather that sort of money on a starter . if we can find a good striker who is willing to be back up for 8 milish then go for it .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:34 pm

GYBS wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:when I think of "up front"  in our team that means "the Torres role,"  are you saying that you think David Silva could play in this role for our team???  I don't think he would offer a different demension at all, it would be the same dimension, only (HOPEFULLY) executed better/more consistently

and yet any striker knows that we prefer one up front and torres is that main guy so a striker would be brought in for back up - no striker with ambitions to go to the world cup with a big country ie a guiza or llorente etc will come to us plus it would mean spending 15 mil plus on a back up ? sorry would rather that sort of money on a starter . if we can find a good striker who is willing to be back up for 8 milish then go for it .

Players like a Guiza or Llorente KNOW they aren't going to be starting. AT BEST, they are going to be back ups. If I were a manager, if I have seen someone excel at a big club in a back up role, occasionally partnering Torres, I would think hmmm that is eerily similar to the exact role I need someone to play in my team.  This guy x might have been playing regularly at this smaller club, but he has no CL experience, and he has no experience of the bench or with looking impressive despite not featuring for a couple of games.  For the type of player we are looking for, I don't think they would be ruling out their WC chances by coming to us and backing up Torres.  Like I have already said, being TOrres back up means playing a good amount of time:

WHenever we are up a couple of goals, take Torres off put his back up in (only more likely to happen sooner if said back up is more trustworthy)

WHenever we are chasing a game and need a goal, put in the extra striker is always a solid option

Cup games

Torres is also quite injury prone

Rotation

the occasional "horses for courses" 4-4-2 change-up

you don't want to spend 15 on a back up that would provide a big upgrade to a position that plays significant time, but you do want to spend 25 million on an upgrade that only improved the team at best by something like 3-4% and also has a chance of not even being as premier league adaptable as Riera or Yossi.
JoeTerp

Postby GYBS » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:46 pm

thats the difference joe i think silva would upgrade ?!?! (is it a mobile phone contract ??) who would improve the team a lot more than 3 or 4 % ie silva is a lot better than yossi or reira - in fact a damn sight better than the pair of them - they were both here last year and neither helped break down tight defences where as i think silva would provide that extra missing link for us in an attacking threat.

and tell me why llorente and guiza would leave a club where they are the starter striker and getting goals that is getting them into the national team to come to a team where they are just back up to come on for ten mins towards the end or for cc games ?!?! and the odd game here and there ?!?! unless with have billions then no thanks we cant afford to blow a lot of money on just cover and back up players .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:52 pm

Doesnt have to be one of the top strikers now does it ?

Heskey, Owen, Jo on loan, Chamakh, Sturridge, Luca Toni, Martins, Tuncay... just some of the names we could have gone for and wouldnt have cost much...

Theres many other names we could go for who wouldnt cost much and would be a step up from what we have now...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:00 pm

aCe' wrote:Doesnt have to be one of the top strikers now does it ?

Heskey, Owen, Jo on loan, Chamakh, Sturridge, Luca Toni, Martins, Tuncay... just some of the names we could have gone for and wouldnt have cost much...

Theres many other names we could go for who wouldnt cost much and would be a step up from what we have now...

thats why i said if we could get one of those strikers for around 6- 8 million then great mate but certainly not people like llorente or guiza who would cost upwards from 10 mil plus
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:05 pm

GYBS wrote:

thats why i said if we could get one of those strikers for around 6- 8 million then great mate but certainly not people like llorente or guiza who would cost upwards from 10 mil plus

yep... If Pavlyuchenko is available for cheap id have a look at him... definitely a waste of talent at Spurs and cant imagine hes too happy about it either...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:06 pm

yep gotta agree with you there - really liked the look of him at the euros last year and wanted him instead of keane and would snap him up straight away - great little player .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:10 pm

Yes this is a strange one this. I was having a conversation about spelling with the Blackadder bloke yesterday, and when I suggested we needed credible striker cover he suddenly went a bit strange on me.

Before we (or at least I) knew where we were, we were into which World Class striker whould come to sit on the bench, a few names of people I'd never heard of got mentioned and I gave up on the whole thing. Now while it wouold obviously be lovely if a World Class striker was prepared to come sit on our bench, I don't think it's entirely necessary.

We don't need someone World Class, we just need somebody who is more credible than N'Gog, Voronin or Babel. Now the fella who was correcting me on my spelling did tell me that Jamie Carragher was the best centre back in the Premiership and that we had World Class players all over the place, so it was making it quite difficult for me to know which way to go with the discussion. Under the circumstances, discretion, valour and all that came into play so I made my excuses and left.

Suffice to say though, unless Babel steps up to the plate, we are IMHO chronically short. The other bloke did suggest Kenwyn Jones in the midst of everything which is a thought I suppose, but seriously we do need someone who is actually quite good. It says in the Times that Villa have had a bid of 8 million quid accepted for Tuncay. As I've said many times, if we are a bit skint he'd be the one for me, particularly given the fact that his versatility should mean he'd play plenty of times. A good player though I think, at the right price.
Last edited by bigmick on Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:15 pm

The 6ft 2" little'un  :laugh:

Good player though. Of the others aCe' listed, Tuncay is the most realistic one who could probably do the job well enough. Myself, I'd still prefer Gudjohnsen.
LFC2007

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:19 pm

The striker and centre half positions look painfully thin and if the season where to start now without either of those gaps being plugged then i would be hugely frustrated.

The centre half position is interesting, do we go for an expensive-ish player like Hangeland or pay over the odds for someone like Turner ?
Or do we just try and get an experienced cheaper option in like Distan or Campbell ?

If we had enough money then obviously the first option would be best but if we are seriously strugglin then we need to make sure we get a striker in just as much for me.

If i am honest there are so many strikers out there that would improve our options.
Even someone like Kevin Doyle that went to Wolves for 6.5 would have been a big improvement on Voronion and the kid Ngog.
I genuinley believe that if Torres was taken out of our attacking options we would have one of the bluntest in the premiership.
Pavlyuchenko from spurs is a very good shout, the money they have spent and the amount of players ahead of him might mean that he would be available.

Ashton from west ham is another. Yes he has had terrible injuries recently but he is a good player and again far better than what we have.

Again makes me wonder why we didnt look at getting Owen if we are so short on striking options, and have such a lack of funds.
Makes no sense to me at all.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Sabre » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:22 pm

We don't need someone World Class, we just need somebody who is more credible than N'Gog, Voronin or Babel.

I have to agree with this line of Mick. Agreeing this doesn't mean I consider impossible they make a great season, or they step up, and it doesn't mean either I'll write about them with disrespect, nor I consider them shít.

I agree this because not signing someone of quality for the position means we have to cross fingers so that one of those players show this season a level of quality they haven't shown so far.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:22 pm

guess simple reasons we didnt go for owen 1. he past with rafa - ie turning him down twice - certainly not going to give him a third chance - i guess if owen hadnt of turned rafa down twice then rafa would of gone for him - and 2 . his past injuries , same reason why i think ashton is a big no no - not played hardly since the 06 fa cup final - nearly 3 years out injured .

would rather we went for campbell or distin as a short term solution and let kelly have his chance .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion