Who else do we need? - Weak areas,replacements

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby baldricks_cunning_plan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:08 pm

And it's a Davies type player we don't have. If things are going bad, last 10 to 15 minutes throw Davies up top and ask him to knock it down for Torres or Gerrard. Be a great addition from the bench when we need to throw the kitchen sink at sides.

And Beevers plays for Sheff Wed. Best young centre back in the division by a long way. I'd even go as far as saying he's better than Newcastle's Ste Taylor because Taylor makes more mistakes.
baldricks_cunning_plan

Postby GYBS » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:10 pm

baldricks_cunning_plan wrote:And it's a Davies type player we don't have. If things are going bad, last 10 to 15 minutes throw Davies up top and ask him to knock it down for Torres or Gerrard. Be a great addition from the bench when we need to throw the kitchen sink at sides.

And Beevers plays for Sheff Wed. Best young centre back in the division by a long way. I'd even go as far as saying he's better than Newcastle's Ste Taylor because Taylor makes more mistakes.

god no - would never ever want a player of davies ilk at the club mate - if you want someone who can offer knock downs then look at carew who is more than just a header winner like davies - carew is also very useful on the deck and holds defenders of by skill as opposed to elbows in the face
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby baldricks_cunning_plan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:15 pm

bigmick wrote:Unfortunately Kevin Davis and Kenwyn Jones I can't agree with, although I did have some hope for Jones until I saw his play at Anfield last season (not in the flesh, on the telly obviously). I thought he was a disgrace that day, didn't do a tap or even break sweat and since then I've written him off. Kevin Davis a white John Fashanu and would only succeed ina  team playing 100% route one IMHO so he's a no-no.

Yes but we're not looking for a first choice centre forward are we mate? We're looking for somebody to come off the bench and change the game when we need them to.

If you throw either, especially Davies, up top from the bench in the last 10 minutes you know it's gonna be fought for. In saying that if you've got Gerrard on the edge of the box feeding off that, you've got a goal.

Gerrard and Crouch worked so well as did Nolan and Davies at Bolton in very similar circumstances. For the last 10 minutes of a game when we're struggling or even when we're winning and we just want somebody to hold it up, I don't think you'll find many better in our price range than Davies.
baldricks_cunning_plan

Postby baldricks_cunning_plan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:17 pm

GYBS wrote:
baldricks_cunning_plan wrote:And it's a Davies type player we don't have. If things are going bad, last 10 to 15 minutes throw Davies up top and ask him to knock it down for Torres or Gerrard. Be a great addition from the bench when we need to throw the kitchen sink at sides.

god no - would never ever want a player of davies ilk at the club mate - if you want someone who can offer knock downs then look at carew who is more than just a header winner like davies - carew is also very useful on the deck and holds defenders of by skill as opposed to elbows in the face

But we couldn't afford Carew. Plus he sulks when he's first choice, what's he gonna be like when he's second fiddle to Torres?

For our price range, with Premiership experience, Davies is about as good as we could get. He's a modern day Toshack and look how well Tosh did while he was here.
baldricks_cunning_plan

Postby aCe' » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:22 pm

baldricks_cunning_plan wrote:We need;

Aaron Hughes or Mark Beevers.

Hughes is experienced, versatile across the back four and would be cheap. Would also help for the Champions League registration. He's not world class but for a fourth choice centre half and immediate back up for Johnson, he wouldn't be a bad choice. Has also played left back when he was at Newcastle.

Beevers is the best young centre back in the Championship. Will be a Premiership one player and if money is as tight as we think, then he'd be a good cheapish signing. Only 19 but has already played many times for the Owls, he's a good cheap alternative.

David Silva or Matty Taylor (a bit of a come down I know).

We need a quality left winger because it's our weakest area, while Yossi and Riera did well last year neither were consistent for the whole season. But because Silve would cost an arm a leg we're gonna have to look at cheaper options which is why I said Taylor.

Taylor has been fantastic for Bolton. He can play left back, left mid or left of the three behind Torres. His dead ball delivery is fantastic and again he'd help us on the Champions League registration. His delivery from the left, Stevie's from the right, we'd be scoring a hatful each and every game.

Kenwyne Jones or Kevin Davies.

Jones is strong, quick and when he wants, can pop up with a goal. If things aren't going well, we can throw him on and just ask him to bully the defenders.

Same with Davies, although he'd be harder to get as he's been made Bolton skipper and is their prize forward whereas Jones may now be second choice with the arrival of Bent.

Now I know none of the names I've mentioned are top, top quality (other than Silva) they are about as realistic as we can aim for. We're as skint as a little church mouse who has just found out his wife has ran with another mouse and all the cheese on the same day a rather large gas bill arrived.

Aaron Hughes or Mark Beevers.   

-Why and WHO ?!
Hughes played for a side that was very well organised defensively last season... as an individual i dont think hes that good a defender but definitely good enough to be 4th choice CB.. Dont know if he'll be as cheap as you reckon.. with them bound to lose Hangeland sometime soon and with the good defensive record they had last season i think you'd be looking a quite decent figure, can do better at whatever given price imo.. the other guy i have no idea about...

David Silva or Matty Taylor   

- Money ? and NOT GOOD ENOUGH ..
Silvas a very good player, would be a stepup from what we have down the left... Mainly in terms of direct contribution (goals and assists)... However, i dont think we have the money, and i dont think thats important a priority.. great player nontheless and would love to have him after we sort other areas out if theres money available..  Matt Taylor ? never good enough for a top side for me... excellent at set pieces, and he'll do well at midtable/bottom half sides where his delivery, goals from dead ball situations will surely get them some much needed points... dont think he has the technical ability or skills to make it at the very highest level and id personally take Benny, Riera and Babel ahead of him... not too sure about his defending for me to consider him a better option than what we have at LB now either..

Kenwyne Jones or Kevin Davies. 

- YEP and ANOTHER KUYT ?!

Jones at the right price would be a good addition to our bench.. Gives the side somthing different in teerms of attacking options and would bring the likes of Riera and Glen Johnson into play more often.. All depends on his price tag but if hes available and wouldnt mind a backup role then by all means, yes. Davies is a no to me.. Works hard, harasses defenders, good with headers, Zero technical ability, blasts the ball towards goals, cant take on a fullback when played down the wing, has a funny goalscoring record... where have i heard that before ?! not good enough to be playing at the highest level and id take Kuyt ahead of him..

By the way, didnt you say we didnt need anyone and that the squad was good enough ?!    :;):    good contribution to the thread nonetheless and sorry for any spelling mistakes i might have made in my post   :D
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:23 pm

baldricks_cunning_plan wrote:
GYBS wrote:

But we couldn't afford Carew. Plus he sulks when he's first choice, what's he gonna be like when he's second fiddle to Torres?

For our price range, with Premiership experience, Davies is about as good as we could get. He's a modern day Toshack and look how well Tosh did while he was here.

Sorry mate can never ever compare someone like Davies to Tosh - Davies is a footballer of very limited ability very limited who is an   out and out thug
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:27 pm

Davis would be dearer than you imagine simply because Bolton couldn't afford to lose him. I do take your point about throwing someone on in the last 10 minutes (I don't agree with it but I take it :D) but think rather than throwing a big fella on to "hold it up" there is more success in modern football from bringing either a second striker on to pop up in and around little pockets of space, or a tricky wide man who can create havok by getting to the byline and/or by cutting inside and winning free kicks.

The big man up top for the last 10 minutes has largely gone out of fashion because defenders are better at drawing free kicks off combative attackers. There is some merit in the idea, particularly if you have a Risse style long throw merchant who can pin the opp in their own box, but it's hard to imagine Man Utd bringing Kevin davis on. They'd bring on a Nani or a Valencia to make things happen, we should do the same.

Now I know some posters will refer to Mourinho's tendency to bring Robert Huth on in the dying seconds, and I'll be happy to discuss that in the relevent thread.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby baldricks_cunning_plan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:29 pm

ace that pathetic line to finish with just makes everything else you wrote totally pointless. It proves you are incapable of debating without petulance. Maybe you could take a note out of BigMick's book who I've disagreed with almost everything on but he can still offer an argument without the need to get the sly little dig in, maybe you could learn from him.

And maybe while you're at it you could find where I said we don't need anybody. If you can, you can get a certificate saying "I found it" and then you can home and put on your fridge with little toy letter magnets.

Now don't take this the wrong way, which I know you're keen on doing, but you are pathetic in your ways and have an occurring nature to prove this.

Maybe I shall do a silly smiley to make my post more colourful. Which one to chose? Hmmmm....how about this one. :cool:
baldricks_cunning_plan

Postby baldricks_cunning_plan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:35 pm

bigmick wrote:Davis would be dearer than you imagine simply because Bolton couldn't afford to lose him. I do take your point about throwing someone on in the last 10 minutes (I don't agree with it but I take it :D) but think rather than throwing a big fella on to "hold it up" there is more success in modern football from bringing either a second striker on to pop up in and around little pockets of space, or a tricky wide man who can create havok by getting to the byline and/or by cutting inside and winning free kicks.

The big man up top for the last 10 minutes has largely gone out of fashion because defenders are better at drawing free kicks off combative attackers. There is some merit in the idea, particularly if you have a Risse style long throw merchant who can pin the opp in their own box, but it's hard to imagine Man Utd bringing Kevin davis on. They'd bring on a Nani or a Valencia to make things happen, we should do the same.

Now I know some posters will refer to Mourinho's tendency to bring Robert Huth on in the dying seconds, and I'll be happy to discuss that in the relevent thread.

United however can afford that luxury of a Nani or Valencia on the bench. We still can't, courtesy of our over friendly America owners.

So we have to make do with what's available to us. Tricky wingers aren't cheap. And I still don't know what a second striker is but I doubt they'd be cheap either.

I wouldn't agree throwing it up to big man has gone out of fashion. Drogba has made an art of it, Spurs will do it with Crouch, City will do it with Adebeyor, Sunderland will do it with Jones if he plays, Bolton will do it with Davies.

And unlike them, it'll be our plan B rather than plan A.
baldricks_cunning_plan

Postby heimdall » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:53 pm

baldricks_cunning_plan wrote:
GYBS wrote:

When does Carew sulk, I've not heard fo that, would be a fantastic signing but no way Villa will let him come to us. I say we start playing the yongsters liek Pachecho and Nemeth more, what on earth do we have to loose by giving them a go in a few games, I thin they both have massive potential, certainly more than Wash or Voronin.
heimdall

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:59 pm

Davies is a better player than people are giving hinm credit for and i would definately take him as an option to come off the bench.
He wouldnt score loads but would provide a different option and thats not just hoofing long balls into him, its a strong striker that can hold the ball, bring others into play and also get in on the end of crosses.
Would be a decent player if he could be signed but i agree with bigmick if we were in for him they would probably ask for about 10 million.
Taylor i feel while very good at set pieces with a decent shot isnt quite upto it.
Again he wouldnt be a bad squad player at the right price though if we are struggling that much.
Although to be fair the left wouldnt be my personal priority at this moment in time.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Scottbot » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:23 pm

I still like Kenwyne Jones despite his dire display and shocking miss at Anfield last season. We deffo miss having a forward with a bit of prescence up top. I know the likes of United a more likely to throw on an out an out skill player but we (like Chelsea) lack the fluidity of Arsenal and the mancs relying more on power. We need a big man on our bench. Unfortunately Rafa thinks Eg Nogg is the man to bring on when we need someone to hold it up and provide a more physical test. He is way wide of the mark though :(
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:44 pm

Was anyone else impressed with Carlton Cole tonight? He certainly didn't look out of place. He held the ball up nicely, was strong, he was direct and showed some excellent touches. I'd certainly swap him for any of our strikers bar Torres. I see Hull have bid 12 mill for Negredo so i'll guess we'll see if Rafa was genuinely interested in the player in the next 24 hours.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:56 pm

Scottbot wrote:I'd certainly swap him for any of our strikers bar Torres.

:oops:  :D

Defo made a good impression tonight, a handful yet still quite tidy on the deck. A bit like Crouch, except this guy's pacier, more powerful, just not as good on the deck overall (I think Crouch is a quite a bit better in all honesty). I think he could do a reasonable job as cover, but I'm not convinced he'd be more than that. The stumbling block is that West Ham will need him big time this season as they haven't that many strikers at the moment. So, yes if he was really cheap as an option, but realistically speaking no as he'd probably cost £8m+ which is too much for a player of his ability.
LFC2007

Postby baldricks_cunning_plan » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:24 am

Cole won't come to Anfield because

1) West Ham won't sell their prized forward for a price within our budget.
2) Cole wouldn't risk his England place by becoming a bench player when he's already a regular starter with the Hammers.
baldricks_cunning_plan

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion