Who else do we need? - Weak areas,replacements

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Madmax » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:07 pm

shakey wrote:Dont Shoot me for this but....what about Beckham playing in Alonso's old role?

ok ill get me coat  :blush:

yeah goodbye!

:laugh:
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:19 pm

seriously though, he has been playing really well in that role for the last 8 months or so. Not many other available players with that kind of passing range and premier league winning experience. If there was a copycat footballer named Bavid Deckham who wasn't famous, but did exactly the same things on the pitch, it would be well worth the shout.

Not sure we need him after we brought in Aquilani though. Clearly, Rafa was looking to move in a different direction, and get someone who can play a little bit closer to Gerrard than Alonso.
JoeTerp

Postby Madmax » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:21 pm

I've always thought robben could have been a good addition on the left but his a bit of a pr.i.ck..
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:23 pm

Madmax wrote:I've always thought robben could have been a good addition on the left but his a bit of a pr.i.ck..

Saw Madrid play live on Sunday, Was miles better than everyone else on the pitch.
JoeTerp

Postby Madmax » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:26 pm

how much would he cost though? heard he was interesting in comming back to the prem only for a champions league team.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby baldricks_cunning_plan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:36 pm

He'd cost the £1.70 Rafa wasted on the bus to go and see him in ozzy when Reina pushed him over. And even that would be two quid too much.
baldricks_cunning_plan

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:41 pm

Scottbot wrote:
bigmick wrote:Well he's been mentioned before but apparently Nico Kranjaar has told Portsmouth he won't be signing a new contract, because they "haven't strengthened" :D (No kidding Nico) and he has 1 year left on his current deal by all accounts. Lets just go get him for about 6 million quid. He can play right accross the middle of the park, could fill in for Gerrard at a push and is a good player.

Rafa, I know you read my posts and take what I say very seriously indeed :D, well that's my advice fella, go buy this bloke :;): .

It's a decent shout, he's a good player, versatile, has got good vision and a bit of guile and cleverness about him. Much the same as Tuncay would have been a decent bet.

Kranjkear would be a great signing IMO, and i doubt he would cost that much either, as others have said he can play in a variety of positions, is a goal threat and makes plenty off assists.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:00 pm

Krankjar would be good but still wouldnt solve our problems upfront or at the back... id rather we get that sorted out first before we go around spending money to re-inforce other backup positions... As is, we have Babel and Benny as backup for the 3 attacking positions behind Torres, Krankjar to me would be more of an insurance policy .. If Lucas/Aquilani fail to do a job down the middle, Gerrard is pulled back and we'd then have Benny/Krankjar playing a little further up... Good signing BUT ONLY IF the money we'd pay for him doesnt stop us from signing the backup CB and FW we truely desperately need.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Tim LFC » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:17 pm

^^ I think we'll sign both to be honest. I think Kranjar will be cheap. Now what CB we get i don't know but i think Turner and Kranjar will be bought. Kranjar would love to see his old pal glen again. :;):
Tim LFC

Postby aCe' » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:50 pm

Tim LFC wrote:^^ I think we'll sign both to be honest. I think Kranjar will be cheap. Now what CB we get i don't know but i think Turner and Kranjar will be bought. Kranjar would love to see his old pal glen again. :;):

Krankjar and a CB still wouldnt be enough.... think we'll end up getting a CB and nothing more .. Just hope Torres can stay fit for every game until atleast January where we'd have another opportunity to buy some decent FW cover...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby baldricks_cunning_plan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:57 pm

We need;

Aaron Hughes or Mark Beevers.

Hughes is experienced, versatile across the back four and would be cheap. Would also help for the Champions League registration. He's not world class but for a fourth choice centre half and immediate back up for Johnson, he wouldn't be a bad choice. Has also played left back when he was at Newcastle.

Beevers is the best young centre back in the Championship. Will be a Premiership one player and if money is as tight as we think, then he'd be a good cheapish signing. Only 19 but has already played many times for the Owls, he's a good cheap alternative.

David Silva or Matty Taylor (a bit of a come down I know).

We need a quality left winger because it's our weakest area, while Yossi and Riera did well last year neither were consistent for the whole season. But because Silve would cost an arm a leg we're gonna have to look at cheaper options which is why I said Taylor.

Taylor has been fantastic for Bolton. He can play left back, left mid or left of the three behind Torres. His dead ball delivery is fantastic and again he'd help us on the Champions League registration. His delivery from the left, Stevie's from the right, we'd be scoring a hatful each and every game.

Kenwyne Jones or Kevin Davies.

Jones is strong, quick and when he wants, can pop up with a goal. If things aren't going well, we can throw him on and just ask him to bully the defenders.

Same with Davies, although he'd be harder to get as he's been made Bolton skipper and is their prize forward whereas Jones may now be second choice with the arrival of Bent.

Now I know none of the names I've mentioned are top, top quality (other than Silva) they are about as realistic as we can aim for. We're as skint as a little church mouse who has just found out his wife has ran with another mouse and all the cheese on the same day a rather large gas bill arrived.
baldricks_cunning_plan

Postby Scottbot » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:03 pm

aCe' wrote:
Tim LFC wrote:^^ I think we'll sign both to be honest. I think Kranjar will be cheap. Now what CB we get i don't know but i think Turner and Kranjar will be bought. Kranjar would love to see his old pal glen again. :;):

Krankjar and a CB still wouldnt be enough.... think we'll end up getting a CB and nothing more .. Just hope Torres can stay fit for every game until atleast January where we'd have another opportunity to buy some decent FW cover...

Think you might be right mate, there doesn't seem to be much indication from the press or Rafa himself to say we are looking for another forward  :(

Tis playing with fire though.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TheLad » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:03 pm

We need a quality striker, and a good cover up for the CB position. If we ever to win the League.
TheLad
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:04 pm

very interesting suggestions there of that there is no doubt

Hughes - formed a pretty good partnership with hangeland last season with fulham and as you say can play left or right back as well - good shout

Beevers- never heard of him so cant comment - who does he play for

Silva - well rate this guy very highly and would love him at the club - would provide us with that extra little bit of cleverness and creativty we lack

Taylor - Another good option and seems to have rediscovered his form at bolton

Jones - not sure on him tbh - he seems to flatter to decieve

Davies - no , no , no :D  he is the icon of route one pump the football up - throw his elbows about and pick up knock downs and i hope we never see him or that sort of football at the club
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:06 pm

baldricks_cunning_plan wrote:We need;

Aaron Hughes or Mark Beevers.

Hughes is experienced, versatile across the back four and would be cheap. Would also help for the Champions League registration. He's not world class but for a fourth choice centre half and immediate back up for Johnson, he wouldn't be a bad choice. Has also played left back when he was at Newcastle.

Beevers is the best young centre back in the Championship. Will be a Premiership one player and if money is as tight as we think, then he'd be a good cheapish signing. Only 19 but has already played many times for the Owls, he's a good cheap alternative.

David Silva or Matty Taylor (a bit of a come down I know).

We need a quality left winger because it's our weakest area, while Yossi and Riera did well last year neither were consistent for the whole season. But because Silve would cost an arm a leg we're gonna have to look at cheaper options which is why I said Taylor.

Taylor has been fantastic for Bolton. He can play left back, left mid or left of the three behind Torres. His dead ball delivery is fantastic and again he'd help us on the Champions League registration. His delivery from the left, Stevie's from the right, we'd be scoring a hatful each and every game.

Kenwyne Jones or Kevin Davies.

Jones is strong, quick and when he wants, can pop up with a goal. If things aren't going well, we can throw him on and just ask him to bully the defenders.

Same with Davies, although he'd be harder to get as he's been made Bolton skipper and is their prize forward whereas Jones may now be second choice with the arrival of Bent.

Now I know none of the names I've mentioned are top, top quality (other than Silva) they are about as realistic as we can aim for. We're as skint as a little church mouse who has just found out his wife has ran with another mouse and all the cheese on the same day a rather large gas bill arrived.

Some interesting suggestions there Baldy. Beevers I've never seen but I do know someone who knows someone who knows someone who told me he was a bit tasty, mind you that was a while ago but anyway, I'm not doubting you on him though and I'd like to see him play.

Matty Taylor has been a good player for a few seasons now, and I'd certainly shed no tears of we signed him. He's better than Insua as of now, and is better than Aurelio too for the 50% of the time which the Brazillian is injured.

Unfortunately Kevin Davis and Kenwyn Jones I can't agree with, although I did have some hope for Jones until I saw his play at Anfield last season (not in the flesh, on the telly obviously). I thought he was a disgrace that day, didn't do a tap or even break sweat and since then I've written him off. Kevin Davis a white John Fashanu and would only succeed ina  team playing 100% route one IMHO so he's a no-no.

Matty Taylor though is my favourite shout of those, followed by the centre half kid.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion