Whitbread - Have i missed something

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:45 pm

Well you got to take risks once in a while. I rather take a risk then pay 15 million for a defender that's average at best.

Upson isn't worth 15 million, probably 6 or 7 million.  The problem is, as Pellegrino illustraited, a bad centre back costs dear and it's not a position you can take risks on.  Rafa is obvioiusly looking very carfully for a new defender and i'm looknig forward to seeing who it is.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:47 pm

The thing about central defenders is that they develop into their position at a later date (generally speaking) and 21 is not too old. Players need to show promise and to say that Whitbread isn't worth keeping because he is not yet Jamie Carragher is a steaming pile of Horsesh!t. Five years ago, were we all saying that our covering wing back/ central midfielder/ full back Carragher would become one of the top centre halves in the Premiership? No, because defenders need time. Jamie Carragher turned out to be one of the best things to happen to LFC in recent years, and what is stopping Whitbread doing the same. Last night against Kaunas, he looked solid, composed and strong. He did get pulled out of position, but so did Sami. Speaking of Sami, Whitbread is beginning to play like the Finn (as well as look like him) which can only be a good thing. Liverpool always used to be good at youngsters, but since Owen, Gerrard and Carra, we haven't seen too much. We now have Potter, Whitbread, Medjani, Warnock and a couple of others coming up and that makes me very happy to see. I still think we need a new central defender because having only two top quality players and a few youngsters is asking for trouble, but in a few years, I hope I'll see Whitbread fighting JC for a place.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:48 pm

The problem is, as Pellegrino illustraited, a bad centre back costs dear and it's not a position you can take risks on.

Well Pellegrino is a poor example, because he is 33/34, he makes Hyypia look like a speed demon and he never depended on his pace in the past.

I doubt that we would get another "Pellegrino".
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:48 pm

this is going to be a big season for Warnock and he looked good last night
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:49 pm

7_Kewell wrote:this is going to be a big season for Warnock and he looked good last night

he's the number 1 left back if you ask me.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby A.B. » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:50 pm

He's the number one leftback by default, it's not because he's great it's because Riise and Traore are sh1t as LB's.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 76-1115222408 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:56 pm

stmichael wrote:agree that whitbread is too inexperienced to be relied upon against the big boys this season.

a mate of mine mentioned distan as a possibility the other day. now he is for sale and i rate the guy quite highly. what does everone else reckon?

Sylvain Distin??

You know what I actully rate him to be honest. I am not saying he is world class, but there is just something about him that I like, he is aggressive and deceptively quick.
He is much in the same mould as a player like Silvestre and Toure IMO, not world class (though I suppose Silvestre is the best of the three!) but rock hard and great man markers!

Another plus is that if I am not mistaken he spent a lot of his time at the barcodes at full back and will also be able to fit in there for us in case of any catastrophe with injuries. So his versatility would be a nice bonus.

However, Distin is prone to some mistakes at times (as are all), and this would be my only (slight) worry about him. Other than that he is Premiership proven and wont need time to adjust etc;

If it was between Sylvain and Sami, I think Syvain would be first choice in my book......His much needed speed and strength winning it for me.

Of course its just our own views at the moment - but is he on offer??  If he is how much do you think he would be worth?? But what do YOU think he IS worth?? (yes there is a difference! :D )

YNWA
Last edited by 76-1115222408 on Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
76-1115222408

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:56 pm

Riise is shocking at left back and even makes Traroe look good!
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:59 pm

7_Kewell wrote:Riise is shocking at left back and even makes Traroe look good!

No way. You couldn't make Traore look good with a blonde wig and a Dior dress. Riise isn't that bad, and although I prefer him on the left of midfield, he can still do a job at the back.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:40 pm

Comparisons with Whitbread and Hyypia are being made because of the hair and physique and nothing else.
I am not saying we shouldnt keep him, cos he will be on peanuts and may well develop into a decent player.
BUT there is no way i would have him near the first team in a match that is important.
He lacks strength and does not dominate in the air, carra might not of at that age but dont forget he wasnt brought up as a centre back, he was a midfielder until he hit about 20.
I agree his distribution is decent, better than Sami's but that is not enough.
We BADLY need a centre half, Whitbread is not the answer, but as i said keep the lad as you never know if he will bulk up and improve.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby H_K_LFC » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:19 pm

Whitbread will be a gd player a think but rite now we shud go in for andrade a mean hes played well against newcastle and his goal against them in the 1st leg was jus quality
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:32 pm

i agree andrade looks quality. the only problem is that he doesn't have experience in the prem. however, having saying that carvalho did alright!
whitbread is one for the future, but right now i don't think he could hack it against the likes of arsenal/chelsea/manure.etc.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrTNT » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:41 pm

Only time will tell. Personally I don't think he is good enough for LFC. We are in dire need of a quality CB.
REST IN PEACE PHIL!
DrTNT

Postby El Nino_#9 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:54 pm

and a right winger too.
and IMO we need a new striker aswell if baros is goin (hopefully michael owen, but i ent holding my breathe!)
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:36 am

agree andrade looks quality. the only problem is that he doesn't have experience in the prem. however, having saying that carvalho did alright!

If he's good then he won't have any problems in the Premiership, any player outside of the Premiership who hasn't played in the league before will of course lack experience, we all know that.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion