Which liverpool game left you devastated.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Mon May 29, 2006 3:13 am

1977 final against Mancs. It was my first time at wembley and I had travelled down on a coach full of United fans. The trip home was a nightmare 50 happy singing Mancs and me crying. The worst thing was I had a choice of tickets, I could have gone to European Final instead.
account deleted by request

Postby laza » Mon May 29, 2006 3:36 am

s@int wrote:1977 final against Mancs. It was my first time at wembley and I had travelled down on a coach full of United fans. The trip home was a nightmare 50 happy singing Mancs and me crying. The worst thing was I had a choice of tickets, I could have gone to European Final instead.

ouch
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon May 29, 2006 4:51 am

Losing to Wimbledon in the 1988 cup final, and losing to Arsenal when Michael Thomas scored.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Mon May 29, 2006 5:32 am

Michael Thomas scoring with virtually the last kick of the game at Anfield in the last game of the season which got Arsenal the title. nono can compare to that one but the recent Benfica game was close.

The 1988 FA Cup final was an anti-climax and we were very poor in that game and having wrapped up the title with champagne football, that defeat was not too bad for me. In the 1996 FA Cup final, I was a bit disenchanted with all the "Spice Boys" thingy and United were favourites anyway.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon May 29, 2006 2:33 pm

It may be of very recent vintage and it may be for a "Mickey Mouse" cup but last year's Carling Cup loss to Chelsea left a bad taste in my mouth for several reasons:

1) Playing well and then losing it late
2) An own goal from Stevie (added insult to injury!)
3) All of the sh!te about the own goal (proves that Stevie's off to Chelsea etc.)
4) Allowing fecking Kezman onto the scoresheet! :angry:
5) Mourinho goading the Liverpool fans...what a bell-end!

Strangely, the bad feelings evaporated after the CL semi-final matches, though.  Funny that! :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 29, 2006 2:37 pm

azriahmad wrote:Michael Thomas scoring with virtually the last kick of the game at Anfield in the last game of the season which got Arsenal the title. nono can compare to that one but the recent Benfica game was close.

The 1988 FA Cup final was an anti-climax and we were very poor in that game and having wrapped up the title with champagne football, that defeat was not too bad for me. In the 1996 FA Cup final, I was a bit disenchanted with all the "Spice Boys" thingy and United were favourites anyway.

yeah the arsenal game was the worst, it didnt seem real at the end, i`d sort of trancended being devastated and was just totally out of it, people were speaking to me but it felt like they were miles away and speaking through a toilet roll, probably the word they`d use now is traumatised.
it didnt dawn on me we`d actually lost the league until about july.
77 was bad but i had the moral crutch to lean on that we were by far the better side and the winning goal was about as flukey as you get.
some of the f.a cup losses to so called lesser sides like your brightons and chelsea`s in the late 70`s and early 80`s were bad to take considering we were so dominant in the league and in europe.
against united in the 90`s i wasnt expecting much to be honest and the way we capitulated after we went 1-0 down didnt really surprise me. even roy keane after the final said it doesnt really feel like we`ve won because the game was such a non event. that ironically was probably uniteds worst performance that season too.
obviously we are talking in the sense of results where only games or titles were lost, sadly this club has been involved in games where much, much more was lost.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Crouchamania » Mon May 29, 2006 4:58 pm

Scum 1-0 Liverpool Ferdinand last minute after we battered them
RIP Drummerphil YNWA

JFT96 Don't buy The S*n

Crouchamania

Postby BOODIDDY » Mon May 29, 2006 11:34 pm

losing to arsenal in 89. Three days after hammering west ham i thought the double was on again. Wimbledon the year before and bolton defeat in the fa cup. Purely cos im a bolton lad and school was unbearable.

Any defeat to the salford :censored: hurts but i can cope with them now.
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Tue May 30, 2006 12:40 am

There are so many results over the years that have left me me upset and angry, annoyed or just plain indignant over the 32 years i have followed LFC.

But, the title of this thread is games that left you devastated. There is only for me one and that was abandoned, and held in Sheffield all those years ago.

We may have won the cup that year, but i would have swapped every cup we have ever won for the lives lost that day.

So we may remember a game against, Brondby, Wimbledon or Arsenal but the biggest game of all is what leaves us at our most vulnerable.....
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Tue May 30, 2006 12:59 am

Nobodys forgetting Hillsborough CrazyHorse.We're just discussing defeat on the pitch.

Your right of course,April 15th 1989 was the biggest loss of all.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Tue May 30, 2006 1:24 am

After much thought - I've never been so gutted as the 1988 FA Cup v Wimbledon. The YNWA at the end was the best I've witnessed.

Recently, the 4-1 at home to Chelsea.
You can't say much when you get a 4-1 tonking at home.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Red Baron » Tue May 30, 2006 5:04 am

crazyhorse wrote:There are so many results over the years that have left me me upset and angry, annoyed or just plain indignant over the 32 years i have followed LFC.

But, the title of this thread is games that left you devastated. There is only for me one and that was abandoned, and held in Sheffield all those years ago.

We may have won the cup that year, but i would have swapped every cup we have ever won for the lives lost that day.

So we may remember a game against, Brondby, Wimbledon or Arsenal but the biggest game of all is what leaves us at our most vulnerable.....

Respect to you Crazyhorse for your sentiments.It goes without saying that day was the most devastating day in our history,a day non of us who wittnessed it will ever forget.The thread was started from a pureley football point of view.
  I lost two friends at Hillsbourgh,and would never intentionally cause offence to anyone on this subject.Football is a game,Hillsbourgh was much more than that.
You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.
Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman.Stuff you pay good money for later in llife
The Red Baron
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue May 30, 2006 11:35 am

88-89 season Liverpool 0-2 Arsenal
i had 5 Arsenal fans over at my house for the game, need i say more.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KennyisGod....still » Tue May 30, 2006 12:29 pm

1-0 down to the Arsenal at home in 89 i threatened to throw my uncle out the livin room window (a second floor flat), at the end he didn even dare say a word. Add that to the 88 cup final when my dog endured the longest walk he ever went on jus to try and get away from the telly, and losin to palace after wailin them 9-0 I think the picture becomes clear! You'd think after all my years of supportin the Scots I'd be used to losin, but it never comes easy :angry: , but someone has to lose I guess, and if it makes you come back stronger......
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue May 30, 2006 1:27 pm

A few disappointments but by an absolute mile the lowest has to be that Michael Thomas goal. I was sooooo down.

In the last 10 years the lowest has been a game that nobody else on this site really cared about. The world club final. Should have Champions of the World for the first time and it will be hard to come that close again. Really gutted, couldn't believe we couldn't score one goal.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion