Where would you play gerrard

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sir Roger » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:28 pm

If you were Purple nose, Wenger or Ancelotti...?
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:04 pm

He has to play in midfield where Lucas is playing now deep. We have Aquilani who is an attacking player, he plays further up. He isn't a versatile player like Stevie so if anyone has to move when he starts it's Stevie. If Rafa wants to balance the team that is what he must do, otherwise we will continue to drop games.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:14 am

bavlondon wrote:He has to play in midfield where Lucas is playing now deep. We have Aquilani who is an attacking player, he plays further up. He isn't a versatile player like Stevie so if anyone has to move when he starts it's Stevie. If Rafa wants to balance the team that is what he must do, otherwise we will continue to drop games.

And if you were booze nose, wenger or Ancelotti? :D

You didnt read the OP did ya. :D
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red_guy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:04 am

Centre Midfield. His best position and it'll be better for the team. We will see the best of him in that position , not as a second striker.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:25 am

Revert Back to a 4-4-2

Reina
Johnson                 Agger                  Carragher/SKrtel           Aurelio

Masch

Gerrard                                  Aquilani                                Yossi

Torres                        Kuyt
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shanklygates » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:35 am

that team is all wrong, well especially your midfield anyway, i'm not saying stevie isnt good on the right, but its not his best position, and to me thats a 4-1-3-2, not 4-4-2.

this is what i would use at home.

reina

johnson      carra      agger          aurelio

masch

kuyt                 stevie g             benayoun(even though i dont rate him)

aquilani

torres
Last edited by shanklygates on Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
shanklygates

Postby Owzat » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:29 am

Sir Roger wrote:If you were Purple nose, Wenger or Ancelotti...?

Despite Rush Job scolding someone for not reading the OP, I suggest this OP is not clear.

Do you mean if Gerrard were in their squad or do you mean if they were manager of LFC? Or perhaps you just mean how would they use them, that is a bit difficult to answer unless you know what resources are at their disposal ie do they have Lucas, Mascherano, Benayoun, Kuyt etc or do they have fat frank, Essien, Joe Cole, Carrick, Rosicky, Fabregas, Scholes, Giggs, Nani, Walnut etc

If you do mean if they were LFC manager, this isn't exactly new territory and has been done before. If you mean within the sides those managers currently manage then f in say so
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shanklygates » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:34 am

where would you play gerrard if you were purple nose, wenger or ancelotti?

thats the full question.

instantly im assuming with that question it's if gerrard was in the man ure , arsenal or chelsea squad.
shanklygates

Postby Owzat » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:42 am

I thought the same as yourself and RJ, principly because the question of where Gerrard should be played in our squad has been asked on here previously. I seriously doubt most answers re if in the Liverpool squad would differ from their own opinions anyway, maybe the question should be "if Gerrard were in the Arsenal, manc or Chelsea squads, where do you think their new manager would play them?"
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:41 am

Arsenal:

Song
           Gerrard          Fabregas

Walcott                                   Arshavin

ManUtd:

Valencia        Gerrard      Fletcher     Giggs

Chelsea:

Essien
             Gerrard                     Ballack
                            Lampard
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:15 pm

Owzat wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:If you were Purple nose, Wenger or Ancelotti...?

Despite Rush Job scolding someone for not reading the OP, I suggest this OP is not clear.

Do you mean if Gerrard were in their squad or do you mean if they were manager of LFC? Or perhaps you just mean how would they use them, that is a bit difficult to answer unless you know what resources are at their disposal ie do they have Lucas, Mascherano, Benayoun, Kuyt etc or do they have fat frank, Essien, Joe Cole, Carrick, Rosicky, Fabregas, Scholes, Giggs, Nani, Walnut etc

If you do mean if they were LFC manager, this isn't exactly new territory and has been done before. If you mean within the sides those managers currently manage then f in say so

Fair do's I admit its not clear enough
I meant all things being equal and Gerrard was in their team where and how do you think he would be played?
The reason behind it is because Rafa worries me with this "Gerrard can play anywhere" mentality, which means that he will be put anywhere Rafa sees fit. Because he is so good a footballer I believe it hampers his performance and stops him being used in his best and most effective position. It could also be argued that it gives Rafa a get out clause whereby he knows if he has a weakness in any position he can stick Gerrard there and he will do the job. Do you think any of the other three would do this or would they simply play him in his best position in order for him to be most effective and the player he can be when allowed?
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:34 am

I think it would depend, in the case of whiskeynose and Ancelotti whether they were playing two upfront or one upfront. I think they might well now use him in a role off a solo striker, perhaps before we started playing this system they would have had him in midfield in a more all-round capacity, but I doubt either would have used him wide. That may be more down to their resources though. If it were in a Chelsea midfield it might be a triangle with Essien behind fat frank and Stevie G. Perhaps I'd favour Carrick behind Scholes and Gerrard in the manc midfield, but I couldn't vouch for whiskeynose, Ancelotti or Wenger. I think he would fit in well next to Fabregas or playing in the hole behind the strikers.

I think it is hard to argue with the goals output from Gerrard in recent seasons, 24 last season and 21 the season before which is one more than 04/05-06/07 combined (44). Gerrard has had to fill in with goals due to a lack of a second striker, well at least while Kuyt is as effective as he has been down the right. Some want us to play him to control midfield, but a key part of our 76 and 86 points was Gerrard's contribution, and his 23 goals in 05/06 (10 in the league, 11 in 07/08 and 16 in 08/09)

LFC PREMIERSHIP GOALS

128 Fowler (266 apps)
118 Owen (216 apps)
75 Gerrard (345 apps)
48 Torres (67 apps)

45 Rush (130 apps)
Last edited by Owzat on Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:46 am

Without Torres providing the good movement upfront to either recieve the ball or create the space for Gerrard, he will always struggle in this 2nd striker role to impose himself on opposition backlines... He isnt the quickest, hasnt got excellent dribbling, and it isnt his natural role... Without someone like Torres or a striker of Torres' calibre, i think Gerrards talents are wasted in that position, with many sides finding it easy to mark him out of games for large periods...

Add to that the fact that our midfield 4 havent been up to much lately and you have further incetive to move him further back and go with 2 out and out forwards doing all the work upfront until our other options are available...

I think its all a little too late for that.. Torres is almost back, so is Aquilani... But most importantly, we've already seemingly fcked up this season... Hopefully its a lesson learned for the future...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby made in UK » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:05 am

In MY team and with the players we currently have my selection would be like this:

Reina

Johnson     Carra     Agger     Aurelio(if fit)

Aqua    Mash

Kuyt            Gerrard            Yossi

Torres

Pretty straight forward really.
"I'm a bellend and now I'm banned for life"
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:20 pm

aCe' wrote:He isnt the quickest

That's a bizarre one that. He's about as quick as anyone on the pitch when he's fully fit.
LFC2007

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion