Where would you play gerrard

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:43 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
aCe' wrote:He isnt the quickest

That's a bizarre one that. He's about as quick as anyone on the pitch when he's fully fit.

Exactly.

What he should have said is that he isn't the quickest in his first few strides, but once in his stride, he's as quick as any player around.

I also find this thread a bit of a joke, if I'm honest. Where would Fergie, Wenger etc etc play Gerrard? First you'd need to know the inside out of their respective squads and systems to know where they'd play Gerrard. I think in either case, the question should have been "would they get more out of Gerrard than what Rafa has in the past two or three seasons," to which my reply would be simply no! Gerrard has been moulded into arguably the best player on the planet in the past two years, which are the peak years of most midfield players. Zidane recognized this, and so should those :censored: at Fifa and UEFA. In short, it doesn't matter where Steve plays. He'd still do the job, but his best position is behind Torres, which brings me to my other point about some posts made in this thread that is if Aquilani hasn't even played more than 15 minutes for us in total, then how can anyone possibly come to the conclusion that he should take Gerrard's most profitable spot as far as goals are concerned right behind Fernando Torres?
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:57 pm

Just as an aside point of debate, Gerrard's position for us depends on how OUR system is currently shaped. Given the absence of Torres, should he still play where he's playing? My opinion is no. He should not. Gerrard likes to play high tempo stuff. It's his speed or none, and if the player in front isn't capable enough, or sharp enough to read him, then it doesn't work. Kuyt in front won't work because his movement isn't good enough and doesn't have the touch to control many of Gerrard's raking passes into feet. He doesn't have that sharp burst of initial pace either. Torres has both, which is why those two work so well.

So, in the absence of Torres, I'd have something like this, and then again, this formation purely relies on the fitness of Aquilani also.

Reina

Johnson  Carra  Agger  Aurelio

Mascherano

Aquilani

Gerrard/Kuyt         Benayoun        Riera

Kuyt/Gerrard

Gerrard and Kuyt often exchanging position during the course of a game should it be required.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:38 pm

Emerald Red wrote:Just as an aside point of debate, Gerrard's position for us depends on how OUR system is currently shaped. Given the absence of Torres, should he still play where he's playing? My opinion is no. He should not. Gerrard likes to play high tempo stuff. It's his speed or none, and if the player in front isn't capable enough, or sharp enough to read him, then it doesn't work. Kuyt in front won't work because his movement isn't good enough and doesn't have the touch to control many of Gerrard's raking passes into feet. He doesn't have that sharp burst of initial pace either. Torres has both, which is why those two work so well.

So, in the absence of Torres, I'd have something like this, and then again, this formation purely relies on the fitness of Aquilani also.

Reina

Mascherano

Aquilani

Kuyt/Gerrard

Gerrard and Kuyt often exchanging position during the course of a game should it be required.

Kuyt up front on his own sucks dude, I'd take Ngog ahead of him in the situ every day of the week, that's how bad an idea i think it is!
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:34 am

Scottbot wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:Just as an aside point of debate, Gerrard's position for us depends on how OUR system is currently shaped. Given the absence of Torres, should he still play where he's playing? My opinion is no. He should not. Gerrard likes to play high tempo stuff. It's his speed or none, and if the player in front isn't capable enough, or sharp enough to read him, then it doesn't work. Kuyt in front won't work because his movement isn't good enough and doesn't have the touch to control many of Gerrard's raking passes into feet. He doesn't have that sharp burst of initial pace either. Torres has both, which is why those two work so well.

Reina

Mascherano

Aquilani

Kuyt/Gerrard

Kuyt up front on his own sucks dude, I'd take Ngog ahead of him in the situ every day of the week, that's how bad an idea i think it is!

Yeah, it is. But I'm only talking hypothetically when Torres is injured, which he currently is. That formation there might work, say, in the last 20 minutes of certain games, though. I've noticed recently that Riera and Kuyt have been trading places in wide areas, could work up front too as Gerrard seems to be our only viable striker we have, even if he isn't one.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:00 pm

Reina

Mascherano

Aquilani

Kuyt/Gerrard

Gerrard up front? chirst what are u on, personally i think he has to returm to the centre of the pitch where he can have some impact on the game, he's being hung out to dry at the moment.
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:52 am

Fowler_E7 wrote:

Reina

Mascherano

Aquilani

Kuyt/Gerrard

Gerrard up front? chirst what are u on, personally i think he has to returm to the centre of the pitch where he can have some impact on the game, he's being hung out to dry at the moment.

Yes, up front, but not throughout an entire game had you actually been paying attention to what I wrote.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Festy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:08 am

Every f@cking manager in this world (except Rafa) would play Gerrard in midfield alongside Masch and put Lucas on bench. :angry:
ImageImageImage

-----YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE. WILL YOU ?-----
Festy

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion